Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

QUESTION: What Foods Can You No Longer 'Stomach'?

What are the foods that you've learned [the hard way] no longer sit well with your stomach/band?

I just had surgery yesterday, but once I start incorporating solids into my diet, I plan to try some of my favorite foods to learn what my band likes and doesn't so I can silently rejoice/weep and work around it. I hope I won't have a laundry list, but I am prepping myself for at least a handful.

I did the same thing when I first got banded. Unfortunately the foods you may be able to tolerate now, you won't be able to after a few fills have taken place. I can't eat any bread product, rice, quinoa, and cereals. They either get stuck or come right back up! Also, I can't eat re-heated meat, especially chicken! (Unless its re heated in a broth) the dry chicken tends to get stuck. Other then that though, I can eat pretty much everything!

you will get many different responses here but i can only speak for myself...being banded 11 months, i havent gotten stuck or anything...i chew alot, take wee bites and go super slow....i have been able to eat anything i want too with no problem...that only thing that has changed is what i eat now... i do not eat junk/processed/not filling my tummy foods...anyhow, best of luck and congrats on your recent surgery.

Like CG said everyone is different and you will have a million different things. I highly recommend you try things slowly and CHEW!

For me soft Pasta is a no go, even soft cooked potatos I can't do - like a baked potato. Sweet Potatos are fine though. Also, doughy breads don't work, I have to toast bread before I can eat it. Tough meat is an absolute NO. I haven't had a steak in a year. Gross, I know, but I have started to chew something and ended up spitting it in my napkin because I know there is no way it is going to go down.

So take it slow, small bites and chew, you will find what will and won't work for you.

I haven't even attempted Pasta. Did bread a few times and it is okay if it is thin and toasted. I don't have a problem with quinoa so when I'm craving pasta I make what I want using quinoa. I can't stomach scrambled eggs, chicken is hit and miss, mushrooms, and corn are often a disaster even when chewed slowly and carefully

As its been said in here already chewing is key but also eating very very slowly. Buy a one minute sand timer and make sure you take at least one minutes between chews.

My main issue is eating too fast when I'm hungry - this can often lead me to be being sick.I'm finding I can eat most things including rice and prawns as long as I chew, chew and chew and take it very very slowly.

I only notice restriction after a fill. A lot of foods bothered me for the first several days after my first two fills. I'm on my third fill, but I can eat almost anything without getting sick or stuck. Some days I wonder if the band is even there--but since I'm able to follow a diet and not being hungry between meals I'd have to guess it is doing it's job.

Any issues with lettuce/spinach/greens?

I can eat most anything but I make much better choices now. I avoid anything white any rice, Pasta or bread because they are not worth wasting my limited calorieson and popcorn because it's a trigger food for me. Mostsvfoods depend on preparation. I have a recipe group with many great members if anyone would Like to join it is on Facebook just friend me at hely lb.

I eat almost everything, but I do still have trouble with Pasta. If I eat a very small noodle like orzo, I'm okay but I cannot tolerate spaghetti-whole wheat, regular, high Fiber, I've tried them all. I do eat salads every day but like everyone else said, just chew it well!

I can't eat reheated meats and bread unless toasted but I typically stay away from it. It does change with the fills I have had 3 fills and until my last one I was able to eat everything with no problems.now I really have to chew my food so it's good to get in the habit of small bites and lots of chewing

It kind of bothers me that I can eat rice, bananas, salads, etc. and I don't have problems. I often wonder if the band is really there, or if it needs a bit more fill. I do track calories and Protein, but I wonder how of my success is due to the band, or just being motivated after undergoing serious surgery and wanting this to work.

I'm just about a year from being banded. Up until my March fill I could have pizza, brown rice, whole wheat Pasta, grounded meats and salads. Now it's just a no go! I've also found reheated meats are very hard to get down.

Ive been banded for 16 mons and up until my last fill (last month) I could eat anything and everything I wanted .... well NOW I can't really eat doughy breads. I can eat crackers and toast, but not doughy breads. And french fries are a chore because if I dont chew them enough then I have a problem. Oh and I cant really eat cake now unless I take SUPER TEENY TINY BITES ... sigh.

AND suprisingly I have a slight intolerance to milk now that I didn't have before, it irriates my stomach/digestion now .... sigh.