Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1.5 Weeks Postop and SOOOO Excited! 2 days rough start, but great now!

Well, I've made it 1.5 weeks with my band, and I'M IN LOVE WITH IT !!! It's everything I was hoping it would be. I would like to talk about my first couple of days though, in case someone is in my shoes and can find hope in it. I kept hearing that you could "have your surgery on Friday, and go back to work on Monday". Well I was skeptical, so I took Tuesday and Wednesday off as well. Friday after my surgery, I was numbed up pretty well, but then came SATURDAY. I got a little cocky and tried to eat Jello, then go outside to do my walking that I was encouraged to do. I felt like I had to burp, but couldn't, and it hurt so bad. Then came the nausea. I kept thinking, "No, no, no, no, no, I cannot throw up!!", but I did... and boy did I. Dry heaves, and it wouldn't stop. I was terrified I was messing my band up. I took my medication for nausea and it knocked me out for the entire day. Then came the gas the next day. Excruciating pain!!! It wasnt the surgical gas. It was the GI kind of gas, and it wouldnt move up or down. I have to admit, I had a few thoughts of, "Crap! What have I gotten myself into?". If anyone else is there right now, behold.... IT PASSES (and I mean that more ways than one) hahahaha. Come Monday morning, and some GasX, I was a new person!!! I had no desire to eat and felt like I could conquer the world. Now 1.5 weeks out, I have lost 16 pounds (counting my 1 week preop diet), and I can't believe I'm not hungry!!!! I am so excited about the future!!! Here's a good tip.... buy a pretty little appetizer plate (4 or 5 inches) and a good oyster fork to eat with. It's just so cute, and it makes it exciting to eat when I look at the new tiny portions, not depressed like you would think. Yes, I miss my old friend food, but the future looks bright!! I'll get over it!!

Congrats, I pray for continued success!

Congrats! I had my surgery yesterday (Tuesday 5/21) and beginning to experience the gas pain now that I'm at home and trying out very small portions of Jello, tuna, etc. I'm not very hungry, but I sometimes feel my stomach growling so I feel like I should put something small it in it, especially to keep with the Protein.

I hope that by the weekend, I can walk a little outside. I'm due to go back to work on the 28th... I hope I can do it!

What were/are you eating (even though you say you were not hungry)?

Hi HelloGoodbye! I tried to heat Tomato Soup first (first non-clear liquid), and that's when I first felt the gas!!! I then changed to Adkin Protein Shakes for a couple of days. I've heard others say the GasX strips are good, so I tried that, but it didn't help. I then tried the GasX chewable and it worked wonders. It was the same dose, so I'm not sure why. I may have not been the medicine, but just simply the time that had passed. I'm not sure, but I can say that day #3 was a HUGE improvement in the way I felt all around. You should be fine if you go back on the 28th... unless you have a very physical job. The larger incision for the port will be painful for awhile. I'm now 2 weeks out, and it hurts if I lean forward.... like my fat belly is pinching it or something. :P I hope you're as excited as I am about what's to come!!!! GOOD LUCK and stay in touch!!

I am 9 days post-op (5-15-13 Surgery date). I also had the "What did I get myself into" mind set. I have to admit I still do...mainly when all the people around me are eating, but it has gotten easier, as I hope it will continue to do. So glad you are feeling better!

Well, I've made it 1.5 weeks with my band, and I'M IN LOVE WITH IT !!! It's everything I was hoping it would be. I would like to talk about my first couple of days though, in case someone is in my shoes and can find hope in it. I kept hearing that you could "have your surgery on Friday, and go back to work on Monday". Well I was skeptical, so I took Tuesday and Wednesday off as well. Friday after my surgery, I was numbed up pretty well, but then came SATURDAY. I got a little cocky and tried to eat Jello, then go outside to do my walking that I was encouraged to do. I felt like I had to burp, but couldn't, and it hurt so bad. Then came the nausea. I kept thinking, "No, no, no, no, no, I cannot throw up!!", but I did... and boy did I. Dry heaves, and it wouldn't stop. I was terrified I was messing my band up. I took my medication for nausea and it knocked me out for the entire day. Then came the gas the next day. Excruciating pain!!! It wasnt the surgical gas. It was the GI kind of gas, and it wouldnt move up or down. I have to admit, I had a few thoughts of, "Crap! What have I gotten myself into?". If anyone else is there right now, behold.... IT PASSES (and I mean that more ways than one) hahahaha. Come Monday morning, and some GasX, I was a new person!!! I had no desire to eat and felt like I could conquer the world. Now 1.5 weeks out, I have lost 16 pounds (counting my 1 week preop diet), and I can't believe I'm not hungry!!!! I am so excited about the future!!! Here's a good tip.... buy a pretty little appetizer plate (4 or 5 inches) and a good oyster fork to eat with. It's just so cute, and it makes it exciting to eat when I look at the new tiny portions, not depressed like you would think. Yes, I miss my old friend food, but the future looks bright!! I'll get over it!!

This is the kind of post that starts your day out right! I haven't gotten my band yet, but yours is one of the most uplifting and exciting post-surgery stories I've read. I've also found some very cute appetizer plates and tiny silverware and you're right, it makes you really want to use them - so dainty! Kroger sells tiny utensils that look like real silverware and I can't wait to go and buy a box of those, too!

Great tip about the silverware at Kroger!!!!! Thanks!!! And I'm so glad my post was helpful to you. CMJanssen - hang in there! This sounds silly, but every time I look at how someone else is eating, or I see something sweet at the grocery store that I would have normally binged on, I simply tell myself over and over, "THAT WAS THEN, AND THIS IS NOW". Somehow it really works.

Congrats on your surgery and your positivity!!!

I use my son's toddler plates, spoons, and bowls... Haha. :)

Hi HelloGoodbye! I tried to heat Tomato Soup first (first non-clear liquid), and that's when I first felt the gas!!! I then changed to Adkin Protein shakes for a couple of days. I've heard others say the GasX strips are good, so I tried that, but it didn't help. I then tried the GasX chewable and it worked wonders. It was the same dose, so I'm not sure why. I may have not been the medicine, but just simply the time that had passed. I'm not sure, but I can say that day #3 was a HUGE improvement in the way I felt all around. You should be fine if you go back on the 28th... unless you have a very physical job. The larger incision for the port will be painful for awhile. I'm now 2 weeks out, and it hurts if I lean forward.... like my fat belly is pinching it or something. :P I hope you're as excited as I am about what's to come!!!! GOOD LUCK and stay in touch!!

Well, my 4th day post-op is already almost over and I have to say... my appetite is BACK! I feel like I eat a few bites and then have enough, but I get hungry every couple of hours. I think it's the lack of Protein, even though I put protein in anything I eat (cottage cheese, tuna, Soup, pudding, etc.) but because I only eat a few bites of it, it's not enough.

Does your stomach still rumble/growl? I'm trying to understand why it does that besides just being gassy. It grumbles the most while I eat cottage cheese or tuna... hmmm could this be my band telling me it's bad for me?

I think by week 2, I'll begin to understand my band a lot more.

Still can't believe I actually got banded! It's been almost a year in the making.

Congratulations Janette! I'm right there with you. I was banded on 5/14 and I'm down 14 Pounds. After the first few days of thinking What have I done! I started to feel much better and wonder why I haden't done it sooner. But this a journey and I realize it's just the beginning.

Continued success to you!!

I'm 1.5 weeks post op as well as of june 5, 2013. Excited but not I'm really hungry I guess because my stoma is healing and I want some real food.< /p>

Congratulations and thanks for all the great tips here. I am at the baby steps beginning of this huge project and it is so helpful to hear how the surgery has gone for others. Sending best wishes your way!

I was banded on November 6 2012 and was allowed to eat real food until Dec6! I was scared to death to eat beforevthen. broth strained Soup blundered soup. I felt like if I'm going to do this, then do it! Still don't want to mess with what doctor did for me! Lost 77 lbs without any regrets! Good luck!

Congrats. It's positive posts like these that help curb my anxiety.