Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie just had some questions. :)

Ok I just had my lap band surgery on Tuesday and I've been having a difficult time. Has anyone experienced pain in their shoulder that traveled up their neck? I felt I was 100% committed to making these changes but I find myself getting irritable and sometimes angry. I knew it was going to be more than just changing eating habits I just didn't think that I would be so emotional!! I'm hoping it will get better. :)

I get shoulder pain in my left shoulder. From what I understand, it's from a the vagus nerve, which runs from your digestive tract up to your brain. It's common for people who have any kind of laproscopic surgery to get some shoulder pain. For a lot of people, it goes away in the weeks following surgery, but yours may not. For myself, it's something that never left me, although I usually only feel it if I overeat, or if my band is way too tight.

You might find this thread helpful:

http://www.bandingtogether.com.au/community/topic/9133-pain-in-shoulder-after-eating/

This is the best description I've found:

"Hi Kylie, as you know, you can get shoulder tip pain after surgery, but I might be able to shed some light on your 'after eating' shoulder pain.

There's a nerve called the vagus nerve that goes from your abdomen up to your brain. It has a number of branches throughout the body and has a number of functions, but basically it goes from your digestive tract up to your brain. It sits against your stomach and has a role to play in telling you when you're full (among other things).

When they put the lapband around your stomach, the vagus nerve is trapped inside the band (it's meant to be) and so when food passes by the band it also stimulates the vagus nerve and your brain thinks you're full. Now, why do you get shoulder pain? As the vagus nerve travels up to the brain, there's also a fairly big branch of the nerve that sits in your shoulder.

I suspect what's happening to you is that each time you eat, you're getting 'referred pain' from the part of the vagus nerve that sits against your stomach, to the branch of the vagus nerve in your shoulder. That's why it doesnt matter how slowly you eat, the vagus nerve against your stomach is still getting stimulated each time food passes the band.

Why do you feel it in your shoulder? Because nerves are funny things and we often perceive nerve pain as coming from one place when in fact its coming from another place. What to do about it? Nothing. Most referred pain settles down after a little while."

I hope this helps!

I totally understand your pain I was banded May 9, 2013 @ 9:am and the pain took my by surprise, the pain that your feeling from the gas that was out into your body cavity to creat more room so your Doctor can work in such a small space, the gas is the most painful part of the surgery for as well, it will easy up some as the days pass I still dealing with the pain everyday as well but it's not as bad now it's has moved from my shoulder to my neck and in my side, I pray that you feel better and I pray for a healthy healing. Take your mess and ice that area and lift your arm up and down when you feel the pain, but do both arms this is also a way to toned your arms as well:-) walking helps as well. Remember your body has to Absorb the gas it has no way to go but up.

Sent from Ladybug29 iPhone using LapBandTalk

Awesome, thanks guys! :)

I really love this new app!!!!

Be patient. It gets better day by day.

Walk as much as you can. Helps tremendously.

Ok I just had my lap band surgery on Tuesday and I've been having a difficult time. Has anyone experienced pain in their shoulder that traveled up their neck? I felt I was 100% committed to making these changes but I find myself getting irritable and sometimes angry. I knew it was going to be more than just changing eating habits I just didn't think that I would be so emotional!! I'm hoping it will get better. :)

I had my band this past Thursday. I have experienced the same pain but it seems to get better with walking. Most irritable thing right now is I feel like I have something stuck in my throat.

Has anyone had the feeling of having something stuck in your throat? I was banded 05/16/13 and didn't get this feeling till yesterday.

Ok I just had my lap band surgery on Tuesday Congratulations on your Journey!! and I've been having a difficult time. Has anyone experienced pain in their shoulder that traveled up their neck? Pain in the neck and shoulder is normal immediately after surgery ONLY

it's usually CO2 gas that they put into the body cavity to do Laprascopic surgery, it helps to WALK ALLOT, and will will eventually subside

http://www.buzzle.co...ic-surgery.html

I felt I was 100% committed to making these changes but I find myself getting irritable and sometimes angry,Totally understandable, You've gone through MAJOR surgery and it's NOT A WALK IN THE PARK, it's a disruption to your entire system. :( I knew it was going to be more than just changing eating habits I just didn't think that I would be so emotional!! I'm hoping it will get better I'm not going to LIE IT'S HARD, YES, it gets better but keep your eye on the :rolleyes: PRIZE, which is going to be a Smaller , Healthier you!