Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got a Gym membership! But now what?

These weights are intimidating... So are the people! I don't even know where to start. :(

I started with walking (treadmill), then stationary bike, then machines. Did your gym membership come with a free training session with the trainer? If so, use it! Tell the trainer where you are with your band and what you want to accomplish, (I wanted to firm the areas I knew were going to be saggy as I lose weight) and have them teach you how to use the equipment and understand what each piece does and then they can give you different workouts to do different days. If your membership did not include that, as the people who work there to do all of that for you, that is their job.

Good luck!

that's what I did also the free trainer helped get me started now its the getting there that's is hard lol :D

I joined a gym, and the weights can be intimidating. So, I do my cardio on the tread mill, and also some of the less intimidating machines. Don't let the regular crowd intimate you! Once you start going and get into a routine you'll be the same as any of the other "regulars" and will blend right in. Going to a gym takes a bit of courage, but if I can do it, anyone can!

I agree. Ignore the "posers" , they're always around no matter which gym you go to. Ask the people who work there for a little advice and you'll feel confident in no time.

Good luck.

I started walking on the treadmill then the stepper , the trainers at the gym will give you a low down on how to use the weights and if the free weights scare you start on the circuit weights they are easier to figure out, go to a fitness class they are great and a good trainer will always show you different moves for your fitness level and most important HAVE FUN , yes they gym can be a fun place to be :)

If your gym has a pool do Water aerobics. It's a good way to start and fun too. It is also not hard on the joints and will help you get your cardio and muscles going then you can slowly move up to the other machines.

I hit cardio hard core bc that's were my comfort is, my doc says find something u like and do it... on weekends tho my gym is deserted and and I can try new machines with confidence. .. last night there was 4 of us in whole place after my cardio I got on rowing machine, I'd been eyeing it for a week but was to self conscious to try it when gym was packed... going when I know the gym will be slow once and a while allows me to ask the trainers whatever I want and try whatever I want with out feelimg like I am being watched.

Yeah, it is really embarrassing when you try out a new machine, in a crowded gym, and sit on it backwards :( I like going when it is empty. LOL.

Lol , I have seen a runner underestimate how fast he could run and flew off the treadmill ,so it happens to the best of us,I'm never embarrassed at the gym , everyone is there for the same reason ans as I have learned people who are really passionate about fitness never judge

Do they offer any classes such as Zumba, spinning or yoga? Maybe find a gym buddy or friend to go with you. I hate going by myself.

Wow so many great ideas! Keep on mind you don't need to go to or belong to a gym to get a great workout. Although group fitness is critical to add at some point as you progress. The power of the group is valuable.

Ez workout anywhere:

5 min active warmup

Walk at intense level 20 min

10 jumping jacks

10 push ups ( back flat - go down only a little I'd that's all you can but no knees on the floor)

10 squats (keep knees behind toes)

10 lunges left leg

10 lunches right leg

10 crunches (don't strain neck)

1 minute plank

5 min slow stretch

Too much ? Cut it all in half (10 min walk - 5 reps each) STILL too much? cut it all in half again (5 min walk - 2 reps each ) STILL TOO MUCH? cut it in half again (5 min walk 1 rep each)

The Key is Start Today - then add 30 secs each day to the walk and 1 rep

Hope in Your Future is Power in Your Present!

Lee

Don't be afraid of the free weights! A lot of women stay away from them, but I recommend giving them a try. They make me feel pretty bad-ass, which is helpful in staying motivated.

I recommend the couch 2 5k that is what I did when I started working out and I loved it ! I've now ran a few 5k's and in a few months I will be running a half marathon in tribute and celebration of my 100lbs weight loss !

If you are like me, you'll like cardio classes that they have to offer at the gym. I am currently with 24 HOUR FITNESS super sport and I attend every single Body Combat class as well as Turbo Kick. These are intense classes and you get to do them with a big class. No one cares if you mess up or don't keep up. An hour goes by with a snap of a finger compared to being on a machine for an hour. :) Try it.