Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone done this and is it a hard process?

Not me. Most docs don't want to inherit another doc's mistakes. Liability is a big issue in healthcare. Also, it depends on if your insurance pays for fills and follow-ups? Or, if you are self pay, are you willing to pay $100/fill?

There are docs here in Denver who will take on orphaned patients I know, but firing your current doc may not qualify someone? Hope I never have to find out.

tmf

I hate to switch, but I really don't know what else to do. I am not happy with my current doctor. He always seems to rush me out and doesn't listen to me only looks at the number on the scale. He refuses to give me fills, says I am doing ok on my own. I have lost 30lbs, but I also work out 7-9 times a week. 4-5 with a personal trainer. I was doing ok until about 3 weeks ago. I was ok with not getting a fill the first time. However, the last 3 week I have been starving and eating way more than I should. He said that a fill would not help my hunger. Really?!? It did the first 2 1/2 months. So then what is the point in the band? I don't care to do the exercise and I can appreciate that I am experience what most are calling "banster hell" but I will never get to the green zone and out of banster hell if my doctor refuses to give me fills. I didnt pay $3,000.00 to "do it on my own"

I am only 9 days post op but I can understand being frustrated and considering switching doc's. if he doesn't think fills can help with hunger then what the heck does he think they do? I'm sure it wouldn't be an easy process to switch but maybe you can schedule another appt with him specifically to go over your concerns and get his thoughts on what the band is supposed to do! I don't blame you for wanting to switch at all, I'd be feeling the same way. Good luck!! Keep up the great work!

Does his practice have other doctors?

This is not the same thing but I had gastric bypass in 2004 and just had lapband 2 weeks ago. I switched doctors because of geographic location but it wasn't too much of a factor. We barely referenced my old doctor just "where'd you have it done" and then it was like "oh, 1000 miles away, okay."

Yeah - there is one other doctor I believe. I was also kind of upset with the nurse as well. She kept talking about how she doesn't like the band because there is so much contradicting information out there, which I agree with, but I think there are other ways to go about that conversation. But to continually tell me how much she doesn't like the band I could have done with out.

I called a couple places today and only actually got a hold of one. They told me if I was a yr out they would take me. I guess worst case I wait a yr.

Another thing that upsets me is my fills were free for the first 90 days post op. Now I have to pay a $40 copay every time. I don't have $40 and an endless amount of time off work just to be told no. Ugh!!

You already know how I feel about this girlfriend! I'm irritated with you. :angry:

I am only 9 days post op but I can understand being frustrated and considering switching doc's. if he doesn't think fills can help with hunger then what the heck does he think they do? I'm sure it wouldn't be an easy process to switch but maybe you can schedule another appt with him specifically to go over your concerns and get his thoughts on what the band is supposed to do! I don't blame you for wanting to switch at all' date=' I'd be feeling the same way. Good luck!! Keep up the great work![/quote']

Creekwood -

Who was your doctor? Someone mentioned that you used Dr Curry. He is one of the doctors I am considering. I received an email back from him today and he said he would take me on a as patient for my post op care. If so, I was just curious your experience with him and his staff. They all seem really nice. I am just worried, I don't want to transfer only to end up with the same problem.

Dr Curry is my doctor. So far so good! I don't have any complaints. The only thing I will say is other than my consultation and surgery I haven't seen him. Mainly who you see is the Nut and nurse. I'm not sure if this is normal but he has 5 offices and honestly I don't feel it's necessary unless I would need to see him (I do have his personal email address though, which I have used and he's prompt when returning emails). I don't have a problem with this but I felt it was worth mentioning. I'm not sure which office you would go to but I go to Dayton and/or evendale (main office). The nutritionists are great and easily accessible. Several of dr currys staff are also band patients (including dr curry himself). Both of the nutritionists at evendale are banded along with other staff members. I have not had a fill since surgery but I will get my first in two weeks. They don't ration the fills like your current doc that's for sure. I'll be getting fills every 4-6 weeks until I'm in green zone (they have it setup from beginning). Their office understands the band and definitely won't talk crap about it like that nurse did (screw her! Lol). Overall I am very satisfied with their office. Another member here who is a dr curry patient is 2012ALM. Before I was banded I asked her a MILLION questions! Lol She is great! She helped me so much along the process. I can definitely answer any questions that you have but I'm so new (10 days post op) that I haven't experienced everything. She has been banded almost a year and been very successful (almost to 100 pound loss!!) and I believe she has had 7 feels. She will know much more about that part than myself. Also she's very helpful she won't mind answering any questions that you may have. Good luck!! Where are you from? Do you know which office you would go to?

Yes - I had sent her a PM and her response was also verbatim to yours, lol. She is the one who told me to get with you since you we're a more recent patient of his. They said my first consultation would be in Cincinnati because he would want to see the band under fluoro. After I would continue my treatment at the Dayton locations as I work in Dayton.

I found another place I like as well, but they are only located in Cincinnati so I think this may be a better option for me. Thanks so much for the info. Makes me feel much better :)

Well I hope she said nice things about me like I did her! Lol jk :) I looked at your profile, your surgeon is less than 10 minutes from my house. I live in Washington Township. The Cincinnati office is about 45 minutes from my house. It's in Evendale right outside of Sharonville, so it's not horribly far. The Dayton office is in the old St Elizabeth hospital off Edwin C Moses. I only have one more appointment in Cincy (for my first fill under fluoro in two weeks) then I will be inDayton. I have been to the Dayton office twice now. Everyone seems very nice, no complaints. They got me in/out quickly. Good luck with whatever you choose!! Sorry that your surgeon is a d-bag, hopefully you will be happy with who you choose. Who knows I may even run into you at the Dayton office! :)

Well had my first appointment with Dr Curry @ the Cincinnati office. Everyone was great! Apparently I had a 4cc primer put in at the time of surgery and I had a 0.5cc from my old Dr last week. Dr. Curry gave me a 3cc fill today under Fluro giving me a total of 7.5cc in my 14cc band!

Well had my first appointment with Dr Curry @ the Cincinnati office. Everyone was great! Apparently I had a 4cc primer put in at the time of surgery and I had a 0.5cc from my old Dr last week. Dr. Curry gave me a 3cc fill today under Fluro giving me a total of 7.5cc in my 14cc band!

Awesome!! I'm glad that it worked out for you! I agree, the staff and Dr Curry are great!