Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any other BAND on bypass patients?

Wanted to see if anyone else out there in the forums is a band on bypass patient. I had gastric in 2005 and then I got banded in 2-2013. Just wanting to know your experiences!

Yes, I am one had mine in 2001 and was banded on April 24. Feeling pretty good. Ready to start this new journey. Gained back 50lbs of 100lbs weight loss :( how are you doing on your journey?

I'm feeling ok. Same boat as you are...about half gained back after 7 years with gastric. Makes me feel like a failure, but I'm coming to terms that no surgery is forever...you have to work at it:)

I had an unfill this week and I'm able to eat more, but I feel I'm eating more than I should. Trying to get over head hunger. How are you doing?

I am hanging there still really sore in port area and lots of tightness in chest and neck. I think the lack if education for early gastric bypass was part of the problem. I never had follow up or anything. I thought the rest off life was going to be like the first year!! nope!! Kept the 100 lbs off for about 5 yrs then put back on a little at a time. I feel like I have a second chance and know what to expect of myself this time. How many fills have u had? My dr won't fill anything until I am fully healed from surgery. It's weird I am only on liquids but feel like I have to force myself to drink no hunger at all right now !

I got my band right before Valentines Day, but I didn't get a fill until about six weeks out because I wasn't fully healed at four weeks. I was told the doc pre filled 4ccs at surgery, and because I felt no restriction, they filled it 1.5cc more, putting me to 5.5. That was wayyyyy too tight so last week I had my second fill but it was an unfill of .5 cc. Big difference! I think I need to put .2 back in because its not making me feel full exactly but I'm trying to realize that could just be head hunger too.

I want a diet coke BAD lol!

Ohhh I hear that diet coke!! My choice was diet Pepsi!! I think that is what helped stretch my pouch out!! I had to finally just give it up for me it is like a drug :( I think I can just have one nope before I know it back to a six pack a day lol!! How much have you lost? I will never lose the urge for soda!!! Sucks!!! :(

Ohhh I hear that diet coke!! My choice was diet Pepsi!! I think that is what helped stretch my pouch out!! I had to finally just give it up for me it is like a drug :( I think I can just have one nope before I know it back to a six pack a day lol!! How much have you lost? I will never lose the urge for soda!!! Sucks!!! :(

I was a coke zero addict before my op and thought I'd never be able to give it up. I'm not allowed any carbonated drinks with my band and the craving has defiantly gone now - thank god! Lol good luck x

I had gastric bypass in June 2005 lost about 120 pounds keep it off for 3-4 yrs then gained back 65 pounds.. Got my band Jan 4 2013.. had 3 fills for a total of 9.2cc in a 14cc band.. have lost about 20 pounds mainly from exercise bc I have a lil restriction after 3rd fill.. am hoping to be at da green zone with my next fill in a few weeks. And yes, I too felt like a failure after gaining weight back but this time around I feel more educated and ready for this life time change.. my 1st couple of yrs with gastric.. that weight fell off without any effort and I felt great, I figured there's no way this weight gonna come back.. But it did and it will continue to if I don't start back eating right and exercising.. I'm happy to have that 2nd chance to get it right once again... good luck to u all!

Glad to hear its starting to work for you. There isnt much put there for band over bypass. When I was researching revision surgery my first surgeon said no you can't do that and your pouch size is fine. Well I got second opinion cause I could eat to large of portions. My new surgeon said yes, your pouch is 4 times larger than it was. He gave me choice of BOB or sleeve. I was too scared of leak rate with sleeve. So I took safest route! Congrats in your 20lbs! The band is a lot slower but I think will have better long term results. I was just done on April 24 so I am just trying to feel better and enjoy this not too Hungry stage! I agree my mind is ready for this. I am ready to make this work! I was forced into exercising. I had knee surgery last January and surgeon said you need to get the weight off your knee or you will need knee replacement in 5 yrs. I am too young for that. The only thing that keeps my knee from aching is riding stationary bike. So it makes me ride even if I don't want too!! Keep in touch it is nice knowing we aren't alone on this new chapter of our life!

@Tanya624..thx...that is so true about not finding much about B.O.B that's why I replied to this post bc when I joined this site that is what my initial post said in hopes of getting connected to others like us...as far as my original pouch my doctor said just then end of my pouch was stretched and I still had restriction bc I still had dumping episodes..This lapband process is much slower a lil too slow for me but am dealing with it and trying to make it through one day at a time..I also see some people had the lapband with plication, I thought to myself why my surgeon didn't do my band like that, then I remembered that I already have a smaller stomach from the gastric surgery. I just so want this band a lil tighter that way it will keep me fuller longer and help me out with my portions... I guess I wanna feel that oh no can't eat that or ill get sick feeling again..well keep in touch and congrats on your new journey..

So glad to see I'm not the only one out there!

I too was told I by my gastric surgeon that my pouch size was fine. I basically panicked when I got to 190 after maintaining a 100 pound weight loss and stablizing at 165. I knew that my pouch wasn't though, and since he would not do any xrays or anything I got a second opinion. My pouch was in fact stretched (not sure how much) but I decided late last year to do band. So far it's very slow for weight loss itself, but I feel like it's good that I have to relearn how to eat. Those first few years with gastric were easy - without real exercise or trying, I lost a ton, but never really learned good habits to go along with that. This time I too am having to learn about chewing your food, pacing your meal, etc. I found that I really didn't even taste food before! I have two little kids, so I'm constantly rushing through meals to get bathtime and homework or soccer practice in, which is horrible since I don't chew or even savor or taste the food I make!

Tonight I'm making my little one's favorite: tacos. After that we are going to go for a walk and just not rush. I need to stop and smell the roses a bit:)

I go back on the 14th and I'm going to ask for a few more ccs as I feel just a tad restricted. I'm hoping maybe I'm reaching my sweet spot!!!!!

Remember: It's Monday - wipe the slate clean. New week!!!!

Funny our stories are similar I have two boys that are 6 and 12 we are always running somewhere its hard to make time to slow down. Keep up the good work!! I am struggling today I am SO SICK of broth I don't go back to Dr until Thursday for pre op to see if I can start full liquids. I would rather have nothing today than eat broth. Pretty sad I would kill for a Protein Shake !!! ???ƒ

I've been hungry and eating crap all day long it feels like. Nothing like in a huge portion, but it's my busy day at work and someone stole my salad. I was just too lazy to go down to the cafeteria and get something so I just ate some chips and some diet coke. Both horrible.

Thank goodness tomorrow is another day. I've had to quit Soup since that's all I want lately, and I only wanted broccoli cheese.

Anyone have any favorite good Snacks? I've got mini cheeses and fruit, but what do you grab when you want something salty and or crunchy?

Hi Ladies,

I am getting my band over bypass done on May 10th. Everyone that I had talked to has had amazing results, at or below their goal, so I am hopeful. I had my gastric bypass done in 2003, so I am almost 10 years out. Ive gained about 1/2 back. My goal now is to lose about 50 lbs.

Are you guys happy you did it? I will be a self pay and Im hoping its the right decision. How was your recovery? How long before you went back to work? I have a desk job, pretty sedetary.

Wanted to see if anyone else out there in the forums is a band on bypass patient. I had gastric in 2005 and then I got banded in 2-2013. Just wanting to know your experiences!

I am not sure how to comment from my iPad as a reply, without quoting a post. I'm accepting tips on how to do that.

I just had band over bypass on May 1st. First surgery was 2/2004