Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does size really matter?

So here's my question. I'm about 6'2" and since your recommended intake of calories goes up as your height does. I was wondering if there were any tall people out there that can share their experience with me at the beginning of my journey here.

Interesting topic.....any takers?

So here's my question. I'm about 6'2" and since your recommended intake of calories goes up as your height does. I was wondering if there were any tall people out there that can share their experience with me at the beginning of my journey here.

Well, I am 6'0 so taller than the national average for a male, but I am not sure what you are asking.

My personal goal is 1300 a day with eating exercise calories as needed. My NUT told me that she is more concerned over volume (1 cup per meal), but she said because of my height 1300 - 1500 calories a day would be acceptable. I probably average closer to 1400 and try to eat about half of my exercise calories. I am loosing at a good clip, and I have gone from 44" waist to a 36". I am in the green zone, but frankly I haven't had much physical hunger since the surgery. Now head hunger is another matter all together.

I'm 6'0" as well 43y/o.

This BMR/Calorie, from the mayo clinic website ( http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598counter ) would tell me I could "eat" 2950 calories per day to MAINTAIN my current weight. (I chose the "active" activity level, because it sounded correct to me)

I started tracking/logging my food/exercise on Jan 14th. NOT to limit what I eat, but I was just curious. Here's what I have found.

I averaged eating about 1750 calories per day. Average calories burned exercising was appx 600 per day. So my Net was 1150 calories. During this timeframe, three months, I went from 252# down to 218#, for a loss of 34#'s.

Everybody says a pound equals 3500 calories. THEY'RE right!

My BMR 2950

My Intake 1750

1200 calorie deficit for 90 days = 108,000 calorie deficit. 108,000/3500 = 31 And I lost almost exactly that.

Thanks for taking the pressure off me CG! I owe you. :P

I thought it was a good title. XD We got some humor and some serious answers. Thanks to Cat, that was exactly what I was looking for. Being a tall guy and sticking to a low cal diet, this should work out just fine.

Cedri,

Nice job naming this post! You'll get lots of views for sure!

As I see you are newly banded, I'll offer a bit of encouragement/advice: WHEN you get to proper restriction, and it may take some time, this ADJUSTABLE band will kick in and do its part. I don't have to Portion Control now, I just try and choose healthier options and my band does the portion control...and I'm loving it.

Until then, follow your surgeons/Nuts recommended plan as best you can. Don't get discouraged if you have a bad day/week, etc. You'll make mistakes, probably get stuck, PB, etc. NOT TO WORRY, you'll learn from it and move forward. It is a diet in the beginning, now it's just normal to me.

Congrats on your decision to improve your life, and best wishes for your success! :)

Cedri,

Nice job naming this post! You'll get lots of views for sure!

...Awesome post followed.

For sure man, thank you. My band and I have our work cut out for us, but we'll learn and grow....or y'know shrink as the case my be.

I never have seen anyone talking about height being a factor.

Oh and thanks for the giggles!

I'm 6'0" as well 43y/o.

This BMR/Calorie, from the mayo clinic website ( http://www.mayoclini.../NU00598counter ) would tell me I could "eat" 2950 calories per day to MAINTAIN my current weight. (I chose the "active" activity level, because it sounded correct to me)

I started tracking/logging my food/exercise on Jan 14th. NOT to limit what I eat, but I was just curious. Here's what I have found.

I averaged eating about 1750 calories per day. Average calories burned exercising was appx 600 per day. So my Net was 1150 calories. During this timeframe, three months, I went from 252# down to 218#, for a loss of 34#'s.

Everybody says a pound equals 3500 calories. THEY'RE right!

My BMR 2950

My Intake 1750

1200 calorie deficit for 90 days = 108,000 calorie deficit. 108,000/3500 = 31 And I lost almost exactly that.

Could you re-post that link . I tried it but it said page not found. Thanks