Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone cheated on the pre-op diet, but did great with the band?

My doctor has me on the liquid diet, and it has been up and down for me. I had a small Caesar salad yesterday, and today a half of cup of Campbell's Gumbo Soup. I also had a few of my daughters animal crackers. That was pretty much the extent of my whole meal for the day. Should I be worried about how well I will be able to do after my banding? Thanks for the help!

Well..honestly...yes. There are rules even with the band. You will always have to make good food choices, stick to band sized portions, and change your entire way of dealing with food. You have to be committed to change and right now that means sticking to your liquid pre op diet.

But right now, your concern should be whether you'll be able to have the surgery. Not to scare you, but the pre op diet is to shrink your liver. When they do the surgery they have to be able to move around your liver. In obese people the liver is very enlarged and fatty. The doctors put you on this liquid diet to shrink your liver so it's safe to do the surgery. If you continue to cheat and your liver isn't sufficiently shrank, you run a very real risk of the doctor canceling the surgery. There has been multiple people on these forums who've gone into for surgery and come out with all the scars but no band- because the doctor couldn't continue once he saw their enlarged fatty liver.

If you truly want the Lap Band, stick to your pre op diet.

Best wishes.

Call your dr and/or dietician and explain what has happened. My dietician told me its nothing to be ashamed about, but they need to know! Like Mis said there are people who have been cut open and no band because of not following the pre-op diet. My surgeon was pretty clear that he would be willing to cancel surgery because of not following pre-op diet. Good luck! I'm sure it's tough! I start mine on Monday...

All the above I too have read . I did the Adkins diet for 2 weeks. And a friend of mine paid cash and used my dr and did NO DIET. She came to tx from ky on a Monday did bloodwork and next day had surg. She has already last 45 lbs since feb 1 st.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

They never really went into detail on the purpose of the diet. I thought it was just to help start the weight loss process, and to get me prepared to a new way of eating. My pre-op visit is tomorrow, I've actually been doing pretty well besides today and the salad yesterday, and I've been working out everyday. My surgery is not scheduled until Tuesday. So, I still have time to get back on the horse and finish strong. Wish me luck, and thank for the replies.

They never really went into detail on the purpose of the diet. I thought it was just to help start the weight loss process' date=' and to get me prepared to a new way of eating. My pre-op visit is tomorrow, I've actually been doing pretty well besides today and the salad yesterday, and I've been working out everyday. My surgery is not scheduled until Tuesday. So, I still have time to get back on the horse and finish strong. Wish me luck, and thank for the replies.[/quote']

Just remember, you CAN do this. :)

Good luck!

It is definitely true that there are tons of people who don't do a pre-op diet. But, I don't think my doctor cares about what other doctors do. So I don't think he'd want me using that reasoning Lol. It is definitely weird to me how much the pre-op diet varies from doc to doc, I'll just suffer for two weeks and follow my doc's orders. But if I did slip up I'd be sure to let them know. I'd be furious (at myself) If I woke up from surgery with no band.

Hi Suzanne, Thank you for saying that. I have noticed some people say their doctor put them on the pre-op and they were allowed one small meal a day. I am so confused as to why my doctor has us on liquids only? Thanks for the info, this has restored my hope! :)

Oh and Good Luck!! You can do it!! Mine starts Monday, looking forward to getting the ball rolling.

You r going to do just fine. Just try to do what dr says. We r all human and the liquid diet would b tuff but I know several ppl who had to do it. I was lucky with having the Adkins diet. Hang in there it will all soon b just a memory!!! U will wake up one day and shout to the heavens that u r skinny!!! I love my band and wish I had done it a lot sooner!!! I'm so much happier now :). Good luck and hang in there u will do great!!!!

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

I was not required to do a pre-op diet and I have been VERY successful!! I've lost 90 pounds in 17 months!!! However, Creekwood is correct about all docs being VERY different with their own rules about LB do's and dont's both pre-LB and after surgery! You need to follow YOUR docs instructions!! VERY important. If you don't understand something, ask! Also, Mis73 is correct, there are rules to having a LB & if you want to be successful, you need to follow the rules!! I will tell you though, after being banded, if you have enough self-control to do so, you can still eat things you really want; like animal crackers...just have a couple instead of 15 !! I would not have succeeded if I had to deprive myself, so I made myself have discipline and self-control...I eat 1-2 oreos instead of half the bag; I eat 1 brownie instead of half the batch; at parties I have a SMALL piece of cake; I have 1/2 piece of pizza with my family, etc. You need to be sure you can control yourself though. Portion Control is SO important with everything we eat!!! As long as you log it & it keeps you within your daily calories without going over, EAT IT AND ENJOY!! (This is after you're banded of course) Right now, you need to do what the doc tells you. Remember, after fills you will have to be on a liquid diet for 24 hours; after EVERY fill. So, if you can't do it now, ask yourself, will I be able to be on liquids EVERY TIME I get a fill???

Well..honestly...yes. There are rules even with the band. You will always have to make good food choices' date=' stick to band sized portions, and change your entire way of dealing with food. You have to be committed to change and right now that means sticking to your liquid pre op diet.

But right now, your concern should be whether you'll be able to have the surgery. Not to scare you, but the pre op diet is to shrink your liver. When they do the surgery they have to be able to move around your liver. In obese people the liver is very enlarged and fatty. The doctors put you on this liquid diet to shrink your liver so it's safe to do the surgery. If you continue to cheat and your liver isn't sufficiently shrank, you run a very real risk of the doctor canceling the surgery. There has been multiple people on these forums who've gone into for surgery and come out with all the scars but no band- because the doctor couldn't continue once he saw their enlarged fatty liver.

If you truly want the Lap Band, stick to your pre op diet.

Best wishes.[/quote']

I agree stick to it!

Thanks you guy's, all of your responses have been motivation for me to keep going. Your stories of success are inspiring, and I I am looking forward to being a success story as well. Thank you for the support! :)

The whole reason I was banded was because I would do better.....why else wold I want to go through this surgery if I could do OK without surgery?

Prior to the band I could not do anything for any period of time in terms of eating correctly, dieting, loosing weight....everything I started I did good at first, then failed miserably and even gained more that I started out with....I'm now in my 60's, and prior to WLS I was victum to every diet, scheme, gimmick out there to loose weight, and NOTHING worked......

That is why I needed to have surgery.....I needed this as a last resort....I needed corrective surgery to do what I was unable to do on my own....

Call it a crutch...call it the easy way out...SO WHAT! I do not care! I'm now skinny, and the weight is NEVER coming back as long as the band is there......

So, your question is.....since you cannot diet and loose weight before the band, will you be able to after the band??? I HOPE SO.....why else are you going through this???? Surgery!!!!

Listen to YOUR doctor not someone else's. Who are you cheating? Get back and do what you were prescribed to do! Best wishes, and congratulations on you upcoming surgery! Karen