Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feeling discouraged

i am about 3 weeks out from being banded and just seem to be having some difficultly, i can eat the same like i did before banded, and i know these 6 weeks are for healing...i just wish i could have more control or feel some sort of restriction, i've begun to go to the gym 4x a week, so i'm sure that will help...any words of advice?

reyna

It's hard to be patient and wait for a fill and the bad news is maybe that won't give you any restriction. My doctor said it would take 2 - 3 fills before you hit your sweet spot.

With that said I wasn't at all pleased about spending all that money and having to wait so long before I started losing. I lost nothing on pre-op and only a few pounds between surgery and my first fill. It's just part of it... as ugly as it is.

I'm finally restricted (maybe too much) and finally seeing a decent loss in the last week. I guess all that suffering was worth it since I'm sure it's going to work now.

All I can really say is I empathize with you.

Hi Reyna,

I feel the same way you do. I didn't feel like eating for the first 5 days post-op but, once the swelling went down, my appetite returned and I have not felt any restriction.

My surgeon waits 8 weeks before allowing a first fill so I'm now scheduled to have that done on 5/25 (8 weeks to the day). Until that time, I am committed to following the diet as I know the band is only a tool and not a cure. Your decision to go to the gym is a healthy and wise one. Hang in there.

i definitely understand where you're coming from. as you see from my signature, it took me 5 adjustments before i hit the right spot. i was wondering for 3 months whether the band was a scam! jk but seriously, it does take a minute. be patient. even though i knew that i wouldn't wake up magically changed, i was kinda wishing i would. best of luck to you and know that the adjustments do work.

I'm feeling the same way, so I'm glad you posted. It is frustrating to be on the liquid diet and hungry and not have the weight falling off like some other people. I've lost 10 pounds and just don't want to gain any back now that I am starting solids. I started back at the gym, too. That always seems to help with appetite.

Oh boy, do I feel the same too. I have never had any kind of restriction. Yesterday I caught myself grazing. I was eating anything and everything I could find (mushy stuff of course). This is very frustrating. But, I go see the surgeon that's going to take over my case today and I've heard he gives fills at 4-5 weeks. I have my fingers crossed.

I feel the same too. I have lost 10 pounds so far. In the last 3 or 4 days I find myself taking in more calories on liquid then I normally would even before surgery! And the bad thing is, IM STILL HUNGRY!

I am starting on mushies some so maybe that will help. But all the mushies are mostly just carbs and make you crave more. I will be getting a fill on 5/29/06 So. I will try my best to be strong and eat less and wait until then and see what happens.

i'm glad to hear i'm not alone in this, it kinda makes you feel even worse when people ask you how much weight you have lost and you have to explain to them about restriction...i know i've been takin in too many liquid calories...(even ice cream!!!) this weekend i'm going to go shopping and have healthy Snacks in my cupboards to make it easier on myself....one thing i don't miss is soda....i feel proud of myself for that...and i've begun to really adhere to the no drinking with meals....i'm just really looking forward to getting a fill

We are just the same. I had almost no restriction after surgery and by the end of the 6 weks i could force anything down I wanted. There are quite a few people like us on this board. Just try to make good food choices, get some exercise and wait for your first fill. It all changes after that.