Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May Surgery Dates???

I am set for Tues., May 15th! I am new to this site, and nervous but excited. Friend me please and share any advice! Whooooop!!

I am going on the 14th!! Good luck to us...you'll do great!

I'm set for the 17th.... Lost 12 lbs on first 7 days of preop already... All these pre and post op comments are really helping!!!

Ok I have the weirdest tip post-op: I only have 4 little incisions, so my pain is totally from gas. I took 4 Gas-X, walk, walk some more, use the spirometer, etc and nothing. I'm 9 hrs after surgery and I felt sleep after taking my pain med (I was taking it every 4 hours because I was feeling really bad because the gas) so I woke up feeling that I needed to go to the bathroom number 2, but I was afraid that would hurt. Anyways, I pushed "that muscle" and it was not hurting, so I'm continue pushing And BAM! I started burping like crazy! I stayed 30 minutes like this and now my pain went down in half! (I couldn't go number 2 but definitely pushing helped a lot!)

Ps: sorry for the comment but I'm just excited to feel better! :D

Question for those who have been through surgery - have you had any problems with Water retention? The two surgical procedures I had in the past, I had huge swollen ankles and legs from all the fluids they put into you. I'm not sure if they give you IV fluids during this procedure? I hope not because that was just about the worst part of recovery for me!!

Question for those who have been through surgery - have you had any problems with Water retention? The two surgical procedures I had in the past' date=' I had huge swollen ankles and legs from all the fluids they put into you. I'm not sure if they give you IV fluids during this procedure? I hope not because that was just about the worst part of recovery for me!![/quote']

Not for me, I feel I go to the bathroom all the time, and I haven't had much to drink. I think that's my least concern right now.

I couldn't even bend my knees it was so bad - very, very painful - and you had to drink lots to get rid of it - flushing it out, I suppose - and I know we can't drink lots after surgery so it is worrying me. But good to hear that isn't the case for you - hopefully it won't happen to me either :)

Question for those who have been through surgery - have you had any problems with Water retention? The two surgical procedures I had in the past' date=' I had huge swollen ankles and legs from all the fluids they put into you. I'm not sure if they give you IV fluids during this procedure? I hope not because that was just about the worst part of recovery for me!![/quote']

I haven't had any problems like that at all. I hope that you don't either! They did give me fluids before (not sure about during) surgery. I had to have an additional medicine before surgery as well for a bleeding disorder that I have which is given with even more fluids! Even with all of this I had no problems with water retention at all. I was peeing like a racehorse less than an after after surgery! Lol good luck!!!

Question for those who have been through surgery - have you had any problems with Water retention? The two surgical procedures I had in the past, I had huge swollen ankles and legs from all the fluids they put into you. I'm not sure if they give you IV fluids during this procedure? I hope not because that was just about the worst part of recovery for me!!

I don't think they pumped me with a lot of fluids. The IV wasn't hooked up for long. I did gain 4 lbs the day of surgery though. I'm assuming that was water retention. I went to the bathroom A LOT 2 days post op and now my wrists and ankles are "skinny" again. Hope it won't be too bad for you.

I was in the hospital for a total of 30 hours. They had me on IV the entire time. I peed my brains out post op days 2 and 3. I always have issues with water retention, but my ankles look the best they have in YEARS!

thanks for the replies to my question!! It's good to hear that this hasn't been a problem for you guys.

I can't believe tomorrow is the big day... Getting nervous but also ready to do this.

As I have to stay in a hotel for the night, is there anything anyone can think of that I should bring from home that I wouldn't find in a hotel? Aside from the usual stuff one travels with, I plan on bringing my blender for ice chips, a couple of extra pillows... I will just be allowed clear fluids, so will have that covered... I hope I'm not missing anything important!

You've got it cased!! The only other things I can think of is something comfy to wear. If you have a favourite pillow for the car ride. And Gasx strips.

We're doing this tomorrow...its crazy. I'm feeling nervous today...now that its closer.

Thanks, Leanne! I know, it is finally here!! my stomach is in knots, yikes!! Haha I realized how appropriate it is to say that... !!

GasX strips!! Comfortable sandals or sleep shoes to walk around in. It is too hard to put shoes on, so much easier to slip sandals on when going on frequent walks. Bending over will be a problem, it's very uncomfortable. If I think of anything else I'll post!

Good luck to both of you!! You will do great!! Any questions at all feel free to ask me!

thank you Creekwood :) It is invaluable to have the suggestions and feedback of someone who has just been through this. I hope that you are continuing to do well and are feeling good.