Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery was yesterday

I too work a desk job also and I took off F, Sat of last week and M, T of this week giving me a total of 7 days off I ran those 4 days into my off days...I did that to make sure my body can handle sitting all day any pain due to the recovery and also my co-workers joy is to talk about food and bring it to their desk and I have to mentally be prepared for that

Thank you for all the replies and advice. I think i am leaning more towards taking the full week off.

I was banded on 9th. I was soo not prepared for the pain. Te first two to three days were horrid. I experienced all of the same but had horrible stomach cramping and diarrhea for those three days. The pain RX ran out all to soon and I'm still dealing with the gas pain and difficulty in taking deep regular breaths without shooting pain under my breast and down my left side. I get to start mushy foods tomorrow and can honestly say I'm not hungry...every time I drink anything I get the painful belches and burps. Almost afraid to eat anything!! I'm so thankful to find this thread. I'm glad to read others are experiencing the same things. :)

Hi Chrissy,

I was so glad you posted because I was beginning to think something was wrong with me and how I have been feeling since my band surgery on 4/11. I also had a really horrible 2-3 days after surgery and although it seems to be getting better with each day, I still have those painful (what seem like a belch in my chest but never get out my mouth) times. Today I had my first real burp and I was so excited I almost cried. Then right behind it was the painful type. The pain with breathing is one of my issues also. I was actually beginning to think I may have gotten pneumonia from the surgery.....so you posting with the same problem is very assuring to me. Along with all of this, I did have a slight cold going into the surgery and that has left me with alot of mucus in my chest and coughing (which hurts like hell). But being female, I find it hard to "Hack a loogy" as my husband calls it and so I just swallow it cuz I can't get it all the way up. Hence, it adds to what is already in my pouch but doesn't get out for hours which makes it hard to eat anything. I know I am not getting in what I am supposed to in a day and when my nutritionist called the other day to check on me, I told her just that. She said to take it one day at a time and as long as I am getting in my Water, Vitamins and a little Protein, I can work up to the whole amount with time.

I was supposed to go back to work on Sunday night (I work midnights) but couldn't make it until Monday because of this flippin gas pain in my left side. I have named my gas bubble Larry....LOL. I wish he would just find a new home for good cuz I am tired of hurting like this!!!! They say lots of walking helps get the gas out and I have been walking like a fool. So hopefully a week or two and I can get on with this new life minus the pain.

My surgeons rules are Clear liquids for two weeks after surgery and then "full" Clear Liquids after that, then soft foods and then transitioning to normal foods again. Each type of food is a 2 week session. I have to say that this lack of food thing hasn't bothered me in the least and I am a food a holic for real. The last thing they said to me when I was discharged from the hospital was "DO NOT VARY FROM THE FOOD TYPES OR LENGTH OF TIME ON THEM!!" So, after hearing about all the trouble some have with their bands "so-called not working". I have decided that I did this for me and I am going to make it work. Because after all, it is what "YOU" make it and it is only a tool to help you get to where you want to be. The pain is only temporary......and because this is all new to our bodies, it is only right that they freak out a bit until they get used to it.

I wish you all the success in the world..... :)

Well said MM. How was your first night back at work?

Marlena,

Sounds like you have a great support system!! It's helped me so much being able to read post and learn from what others have experienced. Super excited for us all on this new journey. In a few weeks we will forgot these first few days and bbe well on our way :) Good luck to you. Lets stay in touch!!!!

Mm, musinex works great to help get rid of that mucus. Good luck, I know you will be feeling more normal soon!

OMG!!! This is exactly how I have been feeling!!! I started to feel really bad and frustrated because I cant get all the liquids into my system. Thanks for posting this. I was banned on 4/11 as well. Supposed to start thicker liquid tomorrow but I dont think I can.

I found a mojito flavor by Crystal Light. I pour 8 oz of it it my shaker bottle, and mix my whey Protein Powder in with it. It's surprisingly good! I add just a bit more crystal light to it so its not thick. Just an idea for you to try.