Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery was yesterday

I'm still in quite a bit of pain and real sick to my stomach. I'm just overall feeling like crap. How long before I start to feel better?

it will be at least a week, hope you feel better soon!

Make sure u don't push, pull or lift. Don't sit for more then an hour without moving for at least five minutes. Follow all the rules. Feel better soon. It's all about healing right now.

Hey dand03!

Aaaah, so sorry you feel bad. I don't know if it helps to know, we all have been through this too. Each day you will feel better and better. If the pain is from the gas used in surgery, walk, walk, walk every hour and a half. I have a treadmill, so starting out on the slowest lowest speed, I would walk until I fatigued- that was really just a few minutes. If you can swing your arms or do windmills with your arms, that helps. It's important to push through it. A heating pad, the moist ones, are so helpful, a recliner or wedge on your bed helps too. When I had a headache, I used an ice pack around the back of my neck. I was not prepared mentally for the pain level, I am grateful my doc gave me a Rx for Tylenol with codeine. It gets better! Take it one day at a time and be kind to yourself! Hugs!

I'm still in quite a bit of pain and real sick to my stomach. I'm just overall feeling like crap. How long before I start to feel better?

I also had my surgery yesterday 4/11/13.....I can honestly say that the pain level from the gas is quite a bit more than I bargained for. But I am walking as much as I can and pretty much drove the nightshift nurses crazy (I had to spend the night in the hospital because my surgeon does it like that). Today, the first part of the day was a bit painful but manageable. This evening, things are doing much better. Hang in there....every day will be better. :)

I had my surgery April 10. I agree about the pain level. It is a bit more sore than I expected, but its the gas pain that's the worst. I am also walking a much as I can and got gas ex today. Hang in there. I hope like everyone says it will get better each day.

about 6 days to feel human again I had mine done 3/26. just dont over do it

I was banded on the 9th. I had two awful days to follow. Somehow none of the threads I read talked about the pain. Today was a world different, not near as sore and just very itchy. I had not had a BM since Tuesday so doc suggested I take something today, seemed to help some with gas pains even!! Still haven't figured out how to burp but my nurse (who was banded three years ago) said that will take some time.

I was feeling better within 4 days or so. I went back to work on the 5th day. For me, the gas pain was the worst part. Walking helps and GasX was my friend!

I guess I was one of the lucky ones I was banded April 10th I had some pain but not a lot I just tooky pain medicine as directed and I took my gas-x every 3 hours as well good luck I hopeu feel better

Hi, I had my surgery yesterday 4/12/13. I have not had any relief sice leaving the hospital. I was given liquid Tylenol 3. My Dr. didn't say anything abt gas x. I'm having the most pain right under my breasts. This pain has been nagging and consistent. Is this the gains pain everyone has been talking abt? Any suggestions?

Hi, I had my surgery yesterday 4/12/13. I have not had any relief sice leaving the hospital. I was given liquid Tylenol 3. My Dr. didn't say anything abt gas x. I'm having the most pain right under my breasts. This pain has been nagging and consistent. Is this the gains pain everyone has been talking abt? Any suggestions?

Hi bagdon08,

I am having the same pain and in the same spot it seems that you are. Getting up and down is a real trip at times because it hurts. I was banded on 4/11/13 and my doc keeps his patients in the hospital overnight. So I came home yesterday evening. They prescribed a pretty heavy liquid pain med which should have been my first clue that it was gonna be a bear. I walked alot yesterday and it seems to be a tiny bit better today but not much. I plan to walk more today as soon as I get motivated to start my day. I am scheduled to go back to work on light duty this Sunday (tomorrow) but not sure at this point if I will be able to even do that. I'm gonna go get some gas X today and see if that makes a difference. Good luck to you and thanks to everyone else for the suggestions and help.

Hi bagdon08' date='

I am having the same pain and in the same spot it seems that you are. Getting up and down is a real trip at times because it hurts. I was banded on 4/11/13 and my doc keeps his patients in the hospital overnight. So I came home yesterday evening. They prescribed a pretty heavy liquid pain med which should have been my first clue that it was gonna be a bear. I walked alot yesterday and it seems to be a tiny bit better today but not much. I plan to walk more today as soon as I get motivated to start my day. I am scheduled to go back to work on light duty this Sunday (tomorrow) but not sure at this point if I will be able to even do that. I'm gonna go get some gas X today and see if that makes a difference. Good luck to you and thanks to everyone else for the suggestions and help.[/quote']

Thanks for commenting. I was done as outpatient. Went home 3 hrs after surgery. I did a little walking around the hospital and minimal walking throughout my house. I had a very restless night due to not having any comfort. I walked around my house today and plan on walking down the street today. It does seem to relieve some gas pain/pressure but my legs seem very weak. I am scheduled to go back to work Monday, right now how I feel that's not going to happen. But time will tell. Good luck to you as we'll. I look forward to seeing how you progress. Take care, Megan.

Hello everyone, I just got banded yesterday and the gas pain is unimaginable. I hate the part where you need to breathe deeply and the pain doesn't let. Crying was the worst pain of all. I'm going to get some gasx today and hope for the best. Did anyone's throat feel soar afterwards because mine did and still does right now :/

Hello everyone' date=' I just got banded yesterday and the gas pain is unimaginable. I hate the part where you need to breathe deeply and the pain doesn't let. Crying was the worst pain of all. I'm going to get some gasx today and hope for the best. Did anyone's throat feel soar afterwards because mine did and still does right now :/[/quote']

Your throat will feel sore due to the tube they used. My throat pain went away after about 2-3 days. I can completely relate to the deep breathing/crying pain. You will hurt for a few days but the weird thing is, one day you will wake up and the pain will be gone. I promise! For me, it was about 5 days after surgery. For others, it's a few more days. I am now 15 days post-op and barely remember how bad it was the week after (some liken it to childbirth lol). Hang in there and know you're not alone.