Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Left hospital with no fill

OK....I think that I am reading things right but I want to see if I understood my doc right. When hospitalized I was given a lot to drink and eat, I never felt full, my doc told me that the band was just placed and not inflated...so that means I can eat what I want right? I mean I can drink Water without having to sip and although I am not hungry with the band not inflated I could eat like lets say.....a piece of pizza? OK...don't get all postal on me...I have lost 18 pounds in 10 days....wow....so I cant wait until a fill will make me full. Anyone else's doctors just place the band and leave it unfilled?

Hi yes most doctors just place them and dont fill them, at the beginning u have restriction from being swollen..that will go away and u will be hungry and ready to eat up a house lol, thats when the will power will have to kick in before u start getting fills and restriction, its like u dont have the band, I was banded June 18 2012..down 80 pounnds so far im loving myself I wouldnt change it for the world..just be patient make sure to get all your fills follow the rules and u will loss..take care hope this helps.

You should have been given a very specific post op diet to follow by your surgeon. You need to stick to that to give your stomach time to heal. pizza would be a very bad idea.

Most people don't get their first fill until 4-6 weeks after surgery and many have empty bands after surgery. But regardless, it's still imperative to stick to your post op diet.

your surgeon and staff should have given you complete post op instructions. you will need to ask them for the rules.. I had to be on liquids for a few days then graduated to creamy foods /purees then regular food.. the point is you have to heal.. I was not really hungry and did fine.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I just got home from my post op appointment. Dr. Bunch doesn't fill when you get the lap band. I haven't been hungry at all. He says that it is because of the swelling, that in another couple of weeks I will probably want to eat my arm. His words not mine. I go in for my 1st fill in 5 weeks, and will follow every 2 weeks until I find my sweet spot.

Congratulations on your weight loss. I just got home from my post op appointment. Dr. Bunch doesn't fill when you get the lap band. I haven't been hungry at all. He says that it is because of the swelling, that in another couple of weeks I will probably want to eat my arm. His words not mine. I go in for my 1st fill in 5 weeks, and will follow every 2 weeks until I find my sweet spot.

Before my first fill, 5 weeks after surgery, I totally wanted to eat my arm. The first few months after surgery is all YOU.......

Good luck and be good to yourself!

No fill at surgery. Post op 6wks before first fill. The folks here are speaking the truth, an arm would be doable. Took 3 fills, 4wks apart to get any restriction and still have to watch it sometimes or I could start a bad habit.

Follow Drs orders, it does work.

OK....I think that I am reading things right but I want to see if I understood my doc right. When hospitalized I was given a lot to drink and eat, I never felt full, my doc told me that the band was just placed and not inflated...so that means I can eat what I want right? I mean I can drink Water without having to sip and although I am not hungry with the band not inflated I could eat like lets say.....a piece of pizza? OK...don't get all postal on me...I have lost 18 pounds in 10 days....wow....so I cant wait until a fill will make me full. Anyone else's doctors just place the band and leave it unfilled?

They fed you in the hospital? Real food? The day after surgery, i was given 1 oz of strawberry Protein shake. Thats it. And Water. had to be on a liquid diet for 4 weeks. Thought I would eat my arm AND my leg!

U definitely need to look at your post op directions a little more thoroughly. I've never heard of anyone having a regular diet right after surgery. Good luck and congrats on the loss!

Marci

its a process and a long process for some...I am 6 months out and have no help at all from my band yet...I go this next week and am hoping to FINALLY have some help from it??? IT is HARD....as I am all will power yet...I stay with in calories but not much for results...35 lbs since oct... where as some have lost that much from Feb surgeries already :( .....so dont be alarmed....as everyone tells me..you will get there, for some it can take up to 9 months!!!

They fed you in the hospital? Real food? The day after surgery, i was given 1 oz of strawberry Protein shake. Thats it. And Water. had to be on a liquid diet for 4 weeks. Thought I would eat my arm AND my leg!

U definitely need to look at your post op directions a little more thoroughly. I've never heard of anyone having a regular diet right after surgery. Good luck and congrats on the loss!

Marci

Nope.....had oatmeal, 4 oz of carnation instant Breakfast, pudding.....I didn't eat it all but it was there

Before my first fill, 5 weeks after surgery, I totally wanted to eat my arm. The first few months after surgery is all YOU.......

Good luck and be good to yourself!

Man...really, I have no appetite, I have to force myself to eat....really!!

Nope.....had oatmeal, 4 oz of carnation instant Breakfast, pudding.....I didn't eat it all but it was there

Boy, I would've killed for some oatmeal those first weeks! LOL. Didn't get that for 4 weeks. You're one lucky lady!

Marci