Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Weigh or Not to Weigh

Ok Friends I need your opinion. Do you weigh yourself everyday or do you do it once a week?? I have been weighing myself daily and it seems to just make me more aggregated than anything. I just can't seem to pass up those scales every morning. Do you think this is a good habit or not.

Hard to break that habit. Drs, and others say only weigh at the office. I, however, never found a scale that I could pass by! Once a week is optimal! Karen

I weigh everyday and always have. Nothing worse than weighing once a week and finding out you have gained weight because you weren't monitoring yourself.

Every day, twice a day. Morning and night. I've never really understood why someone would get aggravated over seeing their weight every day? If you understand that your weight isn't only a result of losing fat and that it's also a result of TOM, sodium intake, stress, carbs, it's easy to accept what the scale indicates. If I eat two slices of pizza I know my weight will probably be 2 lbs higher since I've consumed simple carbs and lots of sodium. My body will retain 32 ozs of fluids due to my poor food choices. I accept that.

And, if I am gaining weight, why would I want to wait till the end of week or month? I want to correct my behavior as quickly as I possiblty can. That's me.

tmf

I posted this exact topic a few weeks ago. Everyone is different find what works for you and do it.

I choose to weigh daily and track the trends (technology is wonderful) with my FitBit Aria scale and ap. Sometimes it gets me down, but if I see an up or no movement so fat it has just motivated me to stay the course or try a little harder. No turning back- no giving up.

I weigh myself at least twice a day, when I get up, and when I go to bed. I also log the weight in FitDay... and I log every calorie that I eat. That way I know exactly how much Protein I've eaten.

Regarding weight, I watch for new "lows." Day to day weight will vary, but seeing a steady downward trend is the goal. It can take several days to see a real pattern, so patience is the key. Every so often I'll see a new pound go away, then come back for a few days, and then finally it is gone for good and I am heading for the next step downward. Everyone does it differently.

I've seen too much variance in the doctor's office to use that as a reliable indicator. One visit showed a ten pound loss that occurred because I was at a high the first time, and an unusual low the second. He was six pounds off, and I had to fight for the fill.

I was weighing in only once a week, but this month I've broken up with my scale. I was getting too focused on the number. My clothes were loose, but the numbers weren't changing and it was driving me crazy! I'm trying to focus on how I feel, and not a number. For now that's what's best for me. You have to choose what's best for you, keeping yourself on track without going overboard. Good luck.

I often weigh myself a few days a week but pick Monday mornings to write the weight on a wall calendar. Sometimes I can add a kilo within a day, I swear its Water, whether it not I've gone to the bathroom or if its early morning it late at night.

I've found a tape measure I use only weekly when I record the weight in the calendar was helpful. It was interesting to see progress in terms of waist and hips circumference some weeks with or without weight loss.

Every day here, but I have gotten past being bothered by fluctuations. The scale is my accountability partner.

Every day and I am happy with this. Right now, I do not think I am drinking enough full fluids. So increasing and monitioring daily go hand in hand.

If you take a shower, and dry off, I bet you will see at least a 1 pound gain from the Water that is being held in your skin.... eating, drinking, etc. will affect your short term weight variances. That's why I like to do it first thing in the morning to lessen the effects of outside influences. And a good digital scale is a must! We were using old mechanical scales that never gave the same weight twice in a row :)

I usually weigh once a week, but what I have learned is everyone is different and you have to find what works for you. I know people who weigh one and even twice a week and some who only weigh once a month at their doctor's appointments.

I was weighing in only once a week' date=' but this month I've broken up with my scale. I was getting too focused on the number. My clothes were loose, but the numbers weren't changing and it was driving me crazy! I'm trying to focus on how I feel, and not a number. For now that's what's best for me. You have to choose what's best for you, keeping yourself on track without going overboard. Good luck.[/quote']

I am the same way- I was weighing all the time but was getting discouraged when my cloths felt better on me, I was feeling like I was loosing weight but scale wouldn't budge. I am really just trying to go off how I feel.

Like others have said, each person works with the results of the scale differently :)

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

There definitely is no right or wrong answer- do what works for you.

As for myself, I weight myself twice a day, morning and night. Little scale fluctuations don't bother me at all, in fact because I weigh myself so much it's very easy for me to see if it is a normal fluctuation or an actual gain.

I figure I got to over 400 pounds by avoiding scales. I don't want to EVER be there again. I need the accountability of my scale.< /p>