Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this the typical beginning?

I was banded Monday, April 8th at 9am. I went into the hospital, struggled to get an IV going (typical when a nurse is a patient), and went into surgery without any issues. It was the most calm I can imagine being EVER considering I was going into surgery. I had this extreme calm for some reason!

However, I am 21/2 days post-op and I feel like many have described as the "Why did I do this to myself" part of the process. Since I woke up from surgery, I've had this uncomfortable fullness and pain at times in my epigastric region (directly below my ribs). I may be crazy, but it is as though I can literally feel my band! I am sure this is just swelling and the feeling will go away, but it is not every comfortable. I was wondering if this was a common feeling post-op.

Also, I am fighting quite the battle getting fluids into me. I am able to tolerate a handful of sips, just about a minute apart. After a handful, give or take, I get cramping in my epigastric region and in my stomach in general. I am afraid of making my sips bigger or more frequent as I am terrified of throwing up with as sore as my upper stomach is at this point (as well as would hate to move the band). I am sure that this, also, is just swelling around the band, but it is a constant struggle getting my Protein Shake and my water/other hydration down. Today I've had to switch to regular Powerade instead of SF because today I felt as though my life energy had been sucked out of me! I was not able to take more than 4 oz on Monday night. I was only able to take 8oz Protein shake and 26oz powerade zero yesterday So I figure I've had less that 200 calories since Sunday night (before surgery). So today I am sipping on powerade and have managed to take down 6 oz protein shake and 16 oz chicken broth. Popsicles seem to be out of the question because it seems as though I get really crampy with anything cold at this point. Also, have no hunger at all... i feel like i am forcing myself to take every ounce of fluid!!! I'm sure that will change too!!! =/

Hopefully the next couple days get better. I'll keep you posted,

Hey! Try not to work yourself into a panic! You just had a big surgery and your body has to recover. Your surely swollen! It will get better just relax!!! I'm a year out and JUST got the hang of this thing.!! Hang in there, drink lots of Fluid ..!

So I'm sorry to be too graphic here but remember, someone filled your body cavity full of gas, they pumped fluids, medications, antibiotics and anesthesia into your body. They punched 5 holes in your abdomen, moved all your inner body parts around, shoved a tube down your throat, took an electric scalpel and burned away excess fat and tissue wrapped around your upper stomach, then wrapped a plastic strap around your stomach, stitched it in place with 5-6 sutures bringing your lower stomach up and over the band and then snaked a tube out of your body and then sewed another plastic piece to the muscle tissue on your rib cage.

Now, thinking about all that has been done to your body, you're doing quite well aren't you?

What your feeling is VERY normal.

It will get better... MUCH better... just give it a few more days... walking will help.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

I also struggled with liquids initially but I just kept Water within arms length and tried to drink whenever I saw the cup. Then one day it was suddenly easy I could drink normally (which was my cue to start avoiding liquid calories). Some people always need to sip after the band but it's too early for you to worry about anything your experiencing as being "how it will be forever".

So I'm sorry to be too graphic here but remember, someone filled your body cavity full of gas, they pumped fluids, medications, antibiotics and anesthesia into your body. They punched 5 holes in your abdomen, moved all your inner body parts around, shoved a tube down your throat, took an electric scalpel and burned away excess fat and tissue wrapped around your upper stomach, then wrapped a plastic strap around your stomach, stitched it in place with 5-6 sutures bringing your lower stomach up and over the band and then snaked a tube out of your body and then sewed another plastic piece to the muscle tissue on your rib cage.

Now, thinking about all that has been done to your body, you're doing quite well aren't you?

OY!!

I was banded Monday, April 8th at 9am. I went into the hospital, struggled to get an IV going (typical when a nurse is a patient), and went into surgery without any issues. It was the most calm I can imagine being EVER considering I was going into surgery. I had this extreme calm for some reason!

However, I am 21/2 days post-op and I feel like many have described as the "Why did I do this to myself" part of the process. Since I woke up from surgery, I've had this uncomfortable fullness and pain at times in my epigastric region (directly below my ribs). I may be crazy, but it is as though I can literally feel my band! I am sure this is just swelling and the feeling will go away, but it is not every comfortable. I was wondering if this was a common feeling post-op.

Also, I am fighting quite the battle getting fluids into me. I am able to tolerate a handful of sips, just about a minute apart. After a handful, give or take, I get cramping in my epigastric region and in my stomach in general. I am afraid of making my sips bigger or more frequent as I am terrified of throwing up with as sore as my upper stomach is at this point (as well as would hate to move the band). I am sure that this, also, is just swelling around the band, but it is a constant struggle getting my Protein shake and my water/other hydration down. Today I've had to switch to regular Powerade instead of SF because today I felt as though my life energy had been sucked out of me! I was not able to take more than 4 oz on Monday night. I was only able to take 8oz Protein Shake and 26oz Powerade zero yesterday So I figure I've had less that 200 calories since Sunday night (before surgery). So today I am sipping on powerade and have managed to take down 6 oz Protein shake and 16 oz chicken broth. Popsicles seem to be out of the question because it seems as though I get really crampy with anything cold at this point. Also, have no hunger at all... i feel like i am forcing myself to take every ounce of fluid!!! I'm sure that will change too!!! =/

Hopefully the next couple days get better. I'll keep you posted,

Did your doctor repair a hiatal hernia while you were under? That's pretty common, and can cause additional pain.

FYI - I could barely breathe when I woke up from surgery. And it lasted for several days. It got better and better, but it was rougher than I expected. You are so fresh out of the gate.....give yourself TIME. It will get better. If you have prescription pain meds from your doctor, don't be afraid to use them.

As for the drinking.....drink tiny sips often. Little by little you will get the fluids in. Just be diligent about consistency. It's a re-training, which I'm also struggling with a bit. I'm 17 days out, and it's been a bit of a roller coaster ride. But it's WAAAY better than even a week ago.

I promise this is normal and by this time next week...you will feel entirely better! Hang in there.

Hang in there. It does get better.

I promise it gets better! Honestly, I thought the same exact things you thought (and I'm a doctor!) On day two I even said to my husband, I think I made a huge mistake. Just give it time. I really like the way 2muchfun stated everything you had gone through and never thought about it that way myself but he's absolutely right. Hang in there, things will get better and Spaness2012 really hit it on the head when she said a week from now you'll feel completely different. It will get better and you will be very successful! For now, relax and try not to worry, I promise it gets better!

I'm also a nurse and had feelings just like you are having. I was miserable for many days and had great difficulty getting in the "required" fluids immediately post-op. I promise it will get better. Each day you'll make a little more progress. Get all the rest you can get and just concentrate on sipping fluids as often as possible. You can do this!

Hang in there it will get better I was banded april 3 first few days were hard for me too but I tell u what saved me I got some New Whey Liquid Protein. ..its only 3.5 oz has 180 calories and 42 grams of Protein. ...if u can find them try them... I picked up my my nutritionist office but hubby found them at Wal-Mart and was cheaper there too

Thanks everyone! I've just heard so many people say that it wasn't "too bad" and I was hoping it would be that way for me. Tonight I'm starting to feel better but my shoulder pain is back again in full force :-( I will just keep sipping and see what tomorrow brings! Thanks again, all... I think this is what I needed.... just a bit discouraged.

I was very ill after mine April 2 an the dr had to remove some from my band after that I did a 100 degree turn around it does get better. In a couple days you will awake an think wow !! I'm Better today Hang in there an much prayers an alot of hugs sent your way !!

Thanks everyone! I've just heard so many people say that it wasn't "too bad" and I was hoping it would be that way for me. Tonight I'm starting to feel better but my shoulder pain is back again in full force :-( I will just keep sipping and see what tomorrow brings! Thanks again' date=' all... I think this is what I needed.... just a bit discouraged.[/quote']

I ended up having heart surgery a week after my lap band was put in.. I never even got to go home for two weeks ... I felt so helpless and like I had made a stupid decision.. Truth is had I not gone in for the lap band my heart problem would not have been discovered.. Hang in there.!