Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 4-1-13. A few days before surgery I was getting a scratchy throat and cough. I contacted my surgeon and his partner was on call and told me it was ok, it was probably just a bug. They did surgery on me and I got very sick, coughing with a stomach full of incisions is not fun normally but with the cough, fever and chills.....bad, bad idea. Remember this if it happens to you. I also want those of you out there thinking this is going to change your eating habits because you cant eat is wrong. I was pretty sick the first 5 days, day 6 (today) is better. I am having trouble swallowing pills, I have no cravings, yet don't know how much to eat since my surgeon told me that I just wouldn't be hungry. It is hard to get up each day and know that although my stomach changed, my mind hasn't. My husband is having a hard time with me not being able to eat, we loved to go out and eat and shop and eat some more, 3 course meals! He isn't fat, but I can see that this week we didn't eat out once, I know we will save money, but I do know that when I went into subway to get a catering menu the smell was haunting. I never ate because I was hungry, I ate because it smelled good or sounded good. This surgery will not fix that. I heard of people talking about eating pizza day 3, man, lucky turds....I can barely get a Protein Shake down. I know BOOHOOBOOHOOOOOOO!!!! I want you to know that I am not a quitter, I want you to know this surgery takes work, it is hard, it hurts and as God is my HOLY witness I will do this, the facts are hard, the rewards will be amazing, support and loving family members are the key to success!! Lean on them!! Onwards and upwards (or should I say down wards!)

Sorry to hear you sick. That really stinks. As far as eating out, I do it all the time. Right after the surgery, I would go with my husband or whoever, I ordered hot tea. Sometimes I would bring with me a pre made Protein Drink. Now the only time I won't eat out is after a fill and then I am on shakes for 3 days. Then my doctor has me on mushies for 3 days and then I will eat meatballs in a restaurant. My MIL loves to eat out a lot, so we go with her a lot. Feel better and rest.

Sorry that you got sick. Usually surgeons wont perform on patients that are sick because there is a rick of upper respitory infection and pneumonia.

Hang in there!!!

If you can try and keep a food journal. I still eat out.. but when I was first banded I followed the menu plan given to me by my clinic and really try to stick to it.

You will have the BEST results if your able to plan your meals and if you have access to a support group I recommend you try to connect with other bandsters.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

I was banded a year ago and has been eating out since I usually order something soft like potatoes or eggplant or meatballs! But I'm surprised they still did the surgery that could of put you at risk for infection!

thanks for the suggestions, I was just having a pity party and I look forward to eating out, do you guys know if it is safe to eat spicy food? I hope so....

I don't see why I would bother you I personally don't eat spicy but I've heard as long as the food isn't dry and there's some type of sauce you should be fine!