Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st fill tomorrow.....scared!!!!

I was banded 2/5/13 and am down 30 lbs...tomorrow I get my first fill and I am so very scared! I hate needles #1 and the Dr. Doing my fill is new..I don know him and my usual Dr did not have an appointment for 2 more weeks,and I need a fill NOW. What should I expect tomorrow? Any advise or suggestions welcomed...Thanks y'all .

Relax, fills are easy. For me they are like getting a shot, just a pin prick.

Don't worry, it will be over before you know it.

Every doctor does fills differently so it is hard to say how your doctor will do it.

You will do fine, promise! ;)

you will do great !!!

It is like getting any other shot.... it will be over and done before you know what happened!

I just had my first yesterday banded 2/27 They asked me what I was eating and how much and if I felt restrict (so they could decide how much fill or not. I had no restriction and they gave me 2 cc's The technician had me lay on the table and he found my port by pushing on my tummy below the big incision and put the needle in. He stated he knew he was in the port because he could pull what he was putting in. To be honest the place he stuck me was numb and I felt a lil quick pressure but no sting and I HATE NEEDLES I never looked at them. I take diuretics with my bp meds and it always takes people 2-3 tries for iv or drawing blood and I totally dread them. It was so uneventful I said "are you done, that's it?"

Hoping yours works out the same

Hey we're band buddies! I was banded the same day and I've had two fills. Like you I was super nervous, but seriously it's nothing! It doesn't even feel like getting a fly shot or blood drawn. You will laugh at how nervous you were after it's done. :-). It felt a little weird and I was extra cautious the first time I ate after each time. I haven't gotten stuck yet and I keep thinking its bound to happen after a fill. My doc has me do 1 day liquids then 1 day soft food after a fill. Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Sent from my iPad using LapBandTalk

my Dr numbs with lidocain first then does the port while looking under fluoroscopy. He doesn't believe in doing it blind. But as mentioned before all Doctors are different. It takes about five minutes. I was so scared when I had my first too. You'll do great!! Good Luck!!

my doctor has me lift my the to make my mucels push the port top then its a pin prick and off I go. Nothing to be scared about..like getting you flue shot which I hope everyone did.

My 1st Question is, has this new doctor done other fills for other patients? Or is it his first fill as well? If it's his first fill I would advise waiting, if hes done other fills then take a deep breath and relax. I am not fond of needles but I'm not terrified of them either. I would say don't watch. Its not gross but if you don't like needles I wouldn't recommend it. Take your Ipod and listen to some music. Let them mark you and then close your eyes. The initial poke hurts, but no more than any needle poke. After that at least for me its nothing. You can not feel the Fluid moving in or out its not a big deal, you will need to drink some Water before they pull the needle out to ensure they didn't put too much in. If the doctor is smart he will start small, like .2-.5 I know you think that is nothing but it makes a big difference.

Good luck.

Well I survived!!!!!! The Dr. Is new to the practice and has done many fills..I told him I had a fear of needles so he used the lidocaine on me. It pinched a little and I felt a little pressure but the strangest thing was me sitting up with a needle in my port..I thought I was going to pass out. So it's Clear Liquids for me today and mushy food tomorrow and I return to my regular Dr. In 6 weeks....they will not give it to you any sooner...I now have 5 cc's in my port 3 from today 2 from day of surgery..

Thank you all for your comments...they really helped m today!

I'm 2 1/2 years out.. Fills/unfills are cake and I hate needles.. I choose not to watch... If your Dr had done them before, trust me.. You'll be fine.. Your port may be a little sore a day or 2 after but it's nothing. :)

Rockstar! You are sooo on point! A fill is easier than getting bloodwork..

A full is nothing. No pain at all I was terrified then shocked when I had my first.