Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you motivate yourself to exercise???

I don't motivate myself, I just do it! Some walking, some exercise, is better than not doing it at all!

It's 4:30am, on my 2nd cup of coffee along with my Vitamins, supplements, etc....also had my 30ml of liquid protein...

Will head to the gym and be there at 5:30am.....if I don't go I will be bummed out all day!

For me' date=' it's difficult to motivate myself to workout inside here in Colorado. I think it's necessary to find an exercise you really enjoy. Tennis, bike riding, golf(walking), racquetball, martial arts(great exercise) and group/social exercising like pilate's and spin classes work for so many.

There's nearly a foot of snow here in Denver so I can't ride my bike. It's real hard to go down in the basement and do the treadmill, elliptical, recumbent bike or just a gym workout. I know I'm asking for my own limitations by claiming it's hard when it really isn't. All I have to do is walk down a flight of stairs and do it. But I don't. I get it.

Biking is now my thing. I love it. Can't wait for warm weather again.

tmf[/quote']

Ah yes Colorado. My wife and I lived in Bailey a few years back (south of Denver about 25 miles on 285). Lots of awesome hiking. Loved that place.

Thank you all for your sugestions. I am leaving to go on a business trip next week. When I get back, my son has promised to get up with me and go to the local rec center every morning and workout. Im hoping with a "buddy" I will be more accountable to getting up every morning.

Having a gym buddy made a huge difference for me. I went twice a week like clockwork until my friend and I changed our schedules. I still had the same amount of free time but just because he couldn't come at the same time suddenly all kinds of other things started filling up that time because I'm more willing to modify my own schedule than not honor a commitment to a friend.

Thank you all for your sugestions. I am leaving to go on a business trip next week. When I get back, my son has promised to get up with me and go to the local rec center every morning and workout. Im hoping with a "buddy" I will be more accountable to getting up every morning.

Why wait until you return? I travel a lot and find that I feel a lot better if I hop on the treadmill for a little while each day. I'm not a fan of the pool because I don't think anyone wants/needs to see me in a swimsuit, but you can also get a little exercise there if you are not shy.

I motivate myself to exercise because my clothes are looser than they've ever been and I love seeing my body get stronger. Plus, I feel a LOT better physically and emotionally when I get a hard workout in.

Great post! For me.....it's just part of the perscription of weight loss. I got approved for the band by insurance...and my contribution is exercise.

I have also realized the side benefits of exercise (not just the weight loss benefit). I sleep better, I am less cranky, my digestive system works better, I am not as moody, I have more energy, oh...did I mention that I am not as cranky :)?

Why wait until you return? I travel a lot and find that I feel a lot better if I hop on the treadmill for a little while each day. I'm not a fan of the pool because I don't think anyone wants/needs to see me in a swimsuit, but you can also get a little exercise there if you are not shy.

I motivate myself to exercise because my clothes are looser than they've ever been and I love seeing my body get stronger. Plus, I feel a LOT better physically and emotionally when I get a hard workout in.

Yes while traveling it's still good to try and keep your exercise time in your routine if if it is just a walk around the hotel to start with. The first step to building a habit is incorporating it in your routine as consistently as possible.

The most important exercise session is your next one. Make it today!

Working out is an addiction for me... If I don't go, I feel terrible and if I feel too bad I start to feel unmotivated... I just look at a preop pic and say to myself.. "Never Again"

Once you start you won't wanna stop. I love going but I start to feel like I take time from my kids if I go everyday. I try at least 4-5 Times a week.

Man I thought I was the only one who felt like this. I used to go to the gym before my surgery. But can't seem to get going. I work on my feet all day. So when it's time to go home I want to get my work boots off and just relax. I know this is no good. But I can't seem to go. I don't like riding a bike now cause I get winded to quick. The other thing I do that's bad. I had one fill so far. But I can still eat what ever I want. My mind is my own worst enemy. I just have to get off my........

On my way to the gym this mornign with my son at my side!!!

Exercise, however difficult it may be...is always rewarding as an accomplishment...

And with every accomplishment, you want to reward yourself with doing just a little better....

It will boost your confidence.....boost your self esteem.....relieves stress....fights / prevents depression.....improves coordination...fights disease and improves overall health

Improves memory....clears the mind and even gives time for deep thought and problem solving....or Meditation if you wish...

And I'm not even close describing the "Runners High"...that is something else...an incredible - ADDICTIVE drug....

You have to start somewhere....however small...and build upon that....

I'm a runner..only started running about 1 year ago....I run 4-5 mils a day....

There are days...many days, I do not want to get out of bed let alone go to the gym....but I do..why? Because I have done it many times before and I know there is no reason not to do it again.....

Once there, I get on the treadmill, and after 3 minutes I tell myself "Today is just not my day." I'm gonna stop, everyone is entitled to those days, right?

But then I tell myself I will go 5 minutes....I've done that before, no reason I can't do it today....

At 5 minutes I tell myself I can go another 5, let's make it an even 10....I can do it, I've been doing it everyday no reason I can't do 10 minutes today....

At 10 minutes I tell myself I might as well go for 15....nice 1/4 figure......I've done it before, no reason I can't do it again....

At 15 minutes I tell myself I might as well go 20....

After 15-20 minutes I completely forget everything....I'm in a groove...can go an hour if I want...a trance...only thing that stops me is I don't want to hog the machine....

so now, I tell myself I'm gonna run for an hour, did it yesterday, and the day before that, no reason I can't do it today....

Bottom line...when all is finished...I am so into myself for what I just did...self esteem - confidence...overwhelming euphoric feelings....can't wait for tomorrow to show myself (and the world)

that I can do it again...and again....

Why do we see so many people running on the side of the roads in so many different places? For their health? (well yea, of course) but it is so much more than that!!

But you have to start small....and build one accomplishment - reward on top of another...then you'll want more...and more...you'll want those little rewards to become bigger rewards...

I should be happy to run 20 minutes and move on...but I'm not...I want as much of.."Whatever This Is"

But trust me, it has not always been so....2 years ago I was out of breath carrying groceries into the house...I'm the guy everyone had to stop and wait for while I needed to pause and catch my breath....I had a Myocardial Infarction and did not know it! SILENT which is common among Diabetics and women...only did a stress test reveal it , they freaked and rushed me into surgery....

Oh, and BTW, did I mention I'm 61 years old? And getting younger everyday???

What he said!

There is NOTHING that fees better than running easily when you used to be fat and unfit. Some days it feels like flying. You just have to get out there and through the first five minutes.

Have you considered joining a team sport? I started playing touch football and volleyball which I find I'm committed to a night a week during the season. I get rather frustrated if I'm out of town for work and have to miss a game.

I also found adding exercise in to my weekend as something to do with friends. We hit the beach or go on long walks (usually shopping!). I also took up scuba diving which encourages me to seek more adventure holidays where I can dive or snorkel.

My gym also has yoga classes, which are my escape from work and destress while toning and stretching, they have been great as the muscle definition starts to return as I've lost weight . I usually have two classes scheduled in my diary so my staff and team know I have somewhere to be.

Overall, start small and build up to a more intensive program, I hope you start to enjoy it and want to keep it incorporated into you new lifestyle.