Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Stage Recipes

Thanks for mentioning the baby food because i have been adding it to everything i drink. I like the different flavors and stuff and it is not boring yet. Today i had the chicken and sweet potatoes baby food jar,the small one with half a cup of chicken broth..it was good and slightly sweet. What a difference those baby food mixers make!

I made some homemade baked potato Soup and watered it down for my liquid stage and I froze the other half for mushie stage. I do find that I have to keep adding Water since it will thicken up since I am eating it so slow. I hope that I have not been messing up.

Are spicy Soups OK in the liquid phase, or are they hard to tolerate? I love Thai and Indian and Mexican foods, and I figure they'd make life easier during the liquid phase...

Usually if you had no issues with spicy before, you won't after. I love hot mexican food, and eat it all the time! Without issue. Try a small bit, increase both the spice and the amount slowly, and just see how you react.

A burst of real flavor is sooooo nice when your amounts you eat are so much smaller, I want the most taste packed in that I can get!!!

Welcome to LBT!

Kat

Thanks!

Now I'm going to have to figure out what blends well...

I see that on my list of "difficult foods", spinach was included, although, oddly, the list mentions that raw spinach is OK. I'm wondering if pureed spinach dishes like creamed spinach and various Indian pureed spinaches are swallowable (don't worry, I have no intention of eating creamed spinach regularly!).

There seems to be a lot of variation on what people are allowed and when during the first few weeks. I'm getting my band in 4 weeks time. Today I had first appointment with dietician.

I was told Clear liquids for Day 1 and Day 2. From Day 3-14 any liquid that will pass through a straw is ok. From nutritional perspective she has recommended the following Day 3-14:

Milk/protein drink (such as Optifast) - 1/2 cup 4 times per day

fruit juice -1/2 cup 2 times per day

Soup (watered to drinking straw consistency) - 1/2 cup 2 times per day

2 litres Water or weak herbal tea - sip during the day.

Am I going to be able to cope with 1/2 cup of liquid every 90 minutes, as well as the Water?

I've been reading posts to find recipes and have discovered some that sound absolutely scrumptious....and absolutely loaded with calories. I'm leery of creative concoctions that convert our favorite fattening recipes into a lapband version by simply blending them into extremely rich Soups.

When I asked my doc what the biggest risk of getting the band was, he said, "Not losing weight."

I can see how this could easily happen. All dieters know how you can devastate a regimen by drinking all your calories. That takes on new meaning to banders.

My professional team knows this is just a tool to help support healthy lifestyle choices.

Best to all!

It is my understanding, now keep in mind I am not medically informed(!) that it is the removal of the hanging skin, but not a muscle repair of the stomach. In a TT they actually snug up the muscles, and in the pannectomy (apron removal) they just remove the excess skin. I also understand it is not uncommon to have both done, an apron removal during the weight loss, to improve movement etc. and then a TT when goal weight is acheived.

I may however be ALL wrong!!! Maybe some of the medically trained ones on here will give us both an answer!!!

Kat

I have a question regarding creamy Soups. Can I take any Soup that is low cal and low sodium and blend it to make a creamy soup? Or do they have to be an actual cream soup, like cream of chicken?

I have been blending a lot of Soups in my bullet... I use golden mushroom, split pea, green pea, cream of broccoli. The little bullet mixer purees everything down to nothing. You might have to strain the mushroom. If you need to Water things down more use chicken or beef broth.

Bren

It is my understanding, now keep in mind I am not medically informed(!) that it is the removal of the hanging skin, but not a muscle repair of the stomach. In a TT they actually snug up the muscles, and in the pannectomy (apron removal) they just remove the excess skin. I also understand it is not uncommon to have both done, an apron removal during the weight loss, to improve movement etc. and then a TT when goal weight is acheived.

I may however be ALL wrong!!! Maybe some of the medically trained ones on here will give us both an answer!!!

Kat

You are essentially correct!:eek:

Hey guys,

I did a bit of comparison reasearch on calorie-count.com. I compared 8oz servings of soy milk and 2% and skim milk:

Regular Silk Soy Milk in vanilla has 100 calories/7 grams sugars/6g protein/ 3.5 grams fat

2% Milk has 122 calories/ 12.3 grams sugar/ 8.1 grams protein/4.8 grams fat

Nonfat Milk has 86 Calories/12.9 grams sugar/8.4 protein/.4 grams fat

I am not a fan of milk so I guess I will stick to Silk.

Yep, while not banded YET, I am using the info I get here and on Sparkpeople.com. The information you just mentioned about the milk it great news. I just tried it myself and its not to bad. I bought 8th Continent Soy in chocolate and regular lite. Thanks for sharing the info. I feel like I made a good choice now.