Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the banders;

So, last night I went to my first lapband support group (after 3 1/2 yrs). Thought it might be good for me. There were 3 of us. Just the nitht before, the sleeve support group met (same program director for both meetings) was standing room only. What's going on with all the banders? The program director (not my surgeons office, its 3 hrs away) said they hardly ever do band surgery anymore.

People complain about complications and maintenance. Im so afraid we're gunna be dinasours, only referenced in medical journals as bariatric failures. Has anyone else noticed this?

And amongst the 3 of us, I was the most successful. One lady has been banded for 4 yrs and has only lost 40 lbs. The other for 2 yrs and lost about 50. Made me feel good. And I was starting to feel like a failure.

Marci

I believe 2 things......

First, people have the surgery, follow the program, adopt a NEW LIFESTYLE, along with heir weight and health returning to NORMAL...after that, they go about their lives..no longer needing support or discussions with others who have had the surgery.....I often think of it as someone who has undergone a total knee or hip surgery....the first phase is difficult, surgery, then a year long rehab...but sooner or later you return to your normal routine, everything being a success......

I used to see my Dr. every month, then every 3 months...now it's once a year unless I want to see him for some reason.....

When I first joined this forum, there was a totally different crowd here that are all long gone......

Second...I believe there are people who will never be successful with this band....they will always need support and advice.....hate to say it, but you see them on this forum everyday....and you just know they're heading in the wrong direction, setting themselves up for failure.....and worse yet there are others in the same boat supporting them and pushing them on......and like you said, after 4 years have only lost 40 lbs.....sure they may loose initially, but then they complain about how they gained 1/2, or more back!!! Got off track, fell off the wagon, need to re-focus...etc....

And this is supposed to be surgery related Weight Loss.....and yet.....

But it is no ones business here to tell another person what they should or should not do.....people can only share their own success and failures and let the readers decide.....

Due to a recent situation I have the same worries about the band now. My surgeon moved out of the area a while back and I have not had any follow up care for more than two years. I am doing fine and at goal. Lost 100% of my excess weight and have felt fantastic about the band. But I realized I needed a doctor for follow-up care.

I finally found a doctor and part of his requirement to become his patient is to attend one of his seminars. I didn't and still don't think it was much use for me to sit through two-hours of discussion on the benefits of all three surgeries (bypass, sleeve and band) when I already have the band five years now and am at goal but I respect his requirements and appreciate his willingness to take me on. So I sat through the seminar.

By the end I felt much less fantastic about my band. He seemed to think bypass is the best way to go and the band is a poor choice though he does do band surgery. He talked about the lower weight loss averages compared to the other two surgeries, the difficulties learning to eat and the need for discipline and the band needing much more follow-up for adjustments and to check placement. A much higher rate of complications after five years and a recent study saying that the band's life expectancy averages out to be around 7 years before needing repair or replacement. The only positive thing to him was the fact that it can be removed easily and converted to one of the other two surgeries. It has left me worried that at five years post-op, my good fortune with the band could come to a screeching halt any time now.

I will see him on Monday and I have been freaking out about it.

Any WLS has the chance to be successful or a failure. In the people I know this is what I have seen:

Band: 7 Successful 3

Bypass: 8 Successful 5 and one to early to tell

People learn how to eat around the surgery. I had one band patient tell me that plan out. I don't get it, you go through everything you must to get this surgery, you lose weight and then you teach yourself to eat around it and gain the weight back. I really pray and hope I never get that lax.

yes i also have noticed this and i am still a relative newbie myself

i am seeing (and reading on this forum) people continue to want overnight/quick loss and (incorrectly) assume that sleeve/bypass/ds will get them that quicker than the lap band......heck my dr wanted me to do the bypass himself (my ins did not cover the sleeve).

and the one connection i see is that many are thinking just having WLS will make you lose weight and you can still eat/drink as you did to make you need that surgery in the first place.....and if you have surgery and you dont lose, the surgery is a failure and then its on.

to lose weight, with the band or any other WLS, you must (and i feel this to be true) one must change what they eat and have a mental change)...from i cant to i want too

one must (help themselves) before anything can help them.

I went to my support group last week.. most of us are band patients.. there are some bypass people there as well. no sleeves... from what I can tell , the bypass folks looked sickly.. I am convinced that no matter what surgery you have you have to be 200% committed... I know a few bypass people who have ate back up to their original weight and I know there are some who have had lapband over the by pass so it's how much you want it....change is hard and most of us being human don't like change...

I went to my support group last week.. most of us are band patients.. there are some bypass people there as well. no sleeves... from what I can tell , the bypass folks looked sickly.. I am convinced that no matter what surgery you have you have to be 200% committed... I know a few bypass people who have ate back up to their original weight and I know there are some who have had lapband over the by pass so it's how much you want it....change is hard and most of us being human don't like change...

i loved your last sentence:

change is hard and most of us being human don't like change...

People complain about complications and maintenance. Im so afraid we're gunna be dinasours, only referenced in medical journals as bariatric failures. Has anyone else noticed this?

And amongst the 3 of us, I was the most successful. One lady has been banded for 4 yrs and has only lost 40 lbs. The other for 2 yrs and lost about 50. Made me feel good. And I was starting to feel like a failure.

Marci

I can't speak for your support group, mine is fairly full. But as far as band complications and failures, feel free to browse some sleeve and GB sites, you will see just as many complaints there and complications listed there that will have you loving any problems your band may give you. I saw one person the other night complaining that her band failed her and now her sleeve was failing her, I wonder why? I saw another person complaining that they had lost 100 pounds and now have gained it all back.

Personally, I think there are fads in surgery just like there are in other aspects of medicine, the sleeve is the new fad. But each WLS has it's own benefits and risks. I had an out of town surgeon suggest the sleeve to me, not based on what was best for me, but based on the fact that I wouldn't have to worry about trying to find a fill Dr. As far as I was concerned, his motivation was money and not my health.

Education I think is the most important key to success with the band. If you are not willing to take a real interest and spend the time to learn how to use the band then you're wasting time and money and you're just becoming another number in a fail statistics column. And for that reason I do not like hearing about surveys and research studies because in the end you never really know what kind of effort the person put in.

I do believe in legitimate failures but I also believe a lot of blame falls on patients and surgeons alike. I do believe there are surgeons out there who will do the surgery and not provide the proper education program to the patients.

I am fairly new to the band, but I believe that if you put the effort into it, you will lose. I am determined to lose this weight and get healthy and for me that means giving up the things I love. When I went to my seminar they kind of downed the band too. My decision was based on I seen my father-in-law lose weight with the bypass and gain it all right back, I seen my friend who had the band and lost 50 lbs and didn't use her band as a tool and lose more, then I have another friend that follows the rules with the band and has lost 78 lbs in 6 months. I felt like the band was the best for me and I wasn't comfortable with losing half my stomach and having my intestines rerouted. I think the band is the best tool. This is just my opinion though..I love my band and it has been the hardest and best thing I have done for myself.

All the statistics do show that there is less success with the band. My doctor told me that out of all his band patients, 30% will do great, 30% will fail completely, and the 40% in the middle will lose about 1/2 of their weight. He said that I would do well with the bypass, which I scheduled. Then 10 days prior I freaked out and cancelled it. The whole malabsorption thing is way beyond worrisome, and I felt that it was too extreme being that I'm looking to lose only 75-80 pounds. The potential risk factors with the staples leaking on the sleeve, made that not an option, either. Aside from the health risk, being self employed, I would lose my entire client base if I were in the hospital for weeks.

ALL that being said, the band, even with it's own inherent issues, is the best choice for me. I'm pretty sure that I will add the plication, as I understand that it reduces many issues with the band. An added risk factor, but still the least invasive of all choices.

As mentioned by many in this thread, weight can be gained back with ALL of these procedures. At least with the band, if you're going to allow that to happen, you haven't now lost 3/4 of your stomach, or rerouted your G-d given plumbing so you don't absorb nutrients as we're naturally supposed to do. With the band, it's 100% reversible, and that gives me peace of mind moving forward with it. To avoid all the issues with the other WLSs, if I have to replace the band after 7 years, so be it. It's a small price to pay, given what the other surgeries take away. We can be successful in whatever procedure we choose, if we keep our heads straight, and continue to move in the right direction.

I confess, I do not know all that much about Band or By-Pass WLS....other than it is NON ADJUSTABLE...it just is...so you have to deal with it....

The band on the other hand, can be adjusted from 0 to 10, and anywhere in between.....

One thing I have learned when dealing with Patients, if you give them responsibility and control over their treatment...GOOD LUCK!

You send them away with full, thorough instructions, and it's 50-50 what you're going to see next time.....some people just want you to do EVERYTHING for them....they're helpless...and

expect someone to take them by the hand.....

Which is a good point for everyone...if your Dr. see's you're really into it and want to learn and do all you can, He/She will go that extra mile with you...that's why their in the profession they are...BUT if you act like you don't give a crap, etc, well either will they...they will just go through the motions by the book....

Last time I saw my PCP it was 7am, his first patient....he was glad to see me, we had a good talk, then as I was leaving he said this is my highlight of the day...it's all downhill from here!!

He knows what I do for a living so we both had a good understandable laugh.......

(BTW, personally, I still do not understand how anyone can gain their weight back with this surgery, other than a medical issue, or they really never had their band fully adjusted and relied upon their own strengths, and like me will eventually fail and gain it all back, plus some.....)

I was banded in November 2012 and have done very well. I've actually met my bariatric centers goal for 12 months in 4 months. That being said, I cannot imagine going back to where I was before surgery. I am now off of insulin. That was one of my main goals! Along with that, the expense of insulin and pump supplies is gone! My energy level is amazing and I'm able to do anything I want at this point. I do miss some foods, but the cravings are gone. If I ate something that I shouldn't, I would need to cover it with insulin to be able to handle it. I'd rather not and that is a big deal. Emotionally I understand how patients gain their weight back, but at this point, no food is worth the sad life I had at that weight and state of health. I suppose some are not willing or ready or able to make the change necessary. I was so ready to have my life back! Yes, I'm aware that it is easy for me to make these statements at this point, but my will is strong.

I was banded in November 2012 and have done very well. I've actually met my bariatric centers goal for 12 months in 4 months. That being said, I cannot imagine going back to where I was before surgery. I am now off of insulin. That was one of my main goals! Along with that, the expense of insulin and pump supplies is gone! My energy level is amazing and I'm able to do anything I want at this point. I do miss some foods, but the cravings are gone. If I ate something that I shouldn't, I would need to cover it with insulin to be able to handle it. I'd rather not and that is a big deal. Emotionally I understand how patients gain their weight back, but at this point, no food is worth the sad life I had at that weight and state of health. I suppose some are not willing or ready or able to make the change necessary. I was so ready to have my life back! Yes, I'm aware that it is easy for me to make these statements at this point, but my will is strong.

Bravo! You look and sound fantastic! Many of us go through the "honeymoon" phase with our initial weight loss. Like being on top of the world!

I think it's important for us to never lose sight of the fact that we can weaken, and easily return to old habits. In the beginning it's exciting, and life feels SO good. Then life happens, and there are upheavals that can knock us off our foundation. As long as we know that we're never cured, we can remain well prepared for whatever each day brings. Doesn't mean that we'll always be perfect, but we'll (G-d willing) be able to get back on track & stay on our path.

I'm thrilled to hear that you are off of insulin. Though I'm not diabetic (I'm pre-diabetic), I can only imagine how great it is to get rid of the ball & chain. Wonderful!!!

I confess' date=' I do not know all that much about Band or By-Pass WLS....other than it is NON ADJUSTABLE...it just is...so you have to deal with it....

The band on the other hand, can be adjusted from 0 to 10, and anywhere in between.....

One thing I have learned when dealing with Patients, if you give them responsibility and control over their treatment...GOOD LUCK!

You send them away with full, thorough instructions, and it's 50-50 what you're going to see next time.....some people just want you to do EVERYTHING for them....they're helpless...and

expect someone to take them by the hand.....

Which is a good point for everyone...if your Dr. see's you're really into it and want to learn and do all you can, He/She will go that extra mile with you...that's why their in the profession they are...BUT if you act like you don't give a crap, etc, well either will they...they will just go through the motions by the book....

Last time I saw my PCP it was 7am, his first patient....he was glad to see me, we had a good talk, then as I was leaving he said this is my highlight of the day...it's all downhill from here!!

He knows what I do for a living so we both had a good understandable laugh.......

(BTW, personally, I still do not understand how anyone can gain their weight back with this surgery, other than a medical issue, or they really never had their band fully adjusted and relied upon their own strengths, and like me will eventually fail and gain it all back, plus some.....)[/quote']

You're super negative and it's not pleasant. Whether you believe you're spitting truth or not it's annoying. All your posts are the same. Jeez