Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday 3-28-13...I'm on the shakes and bars with one meal a day diet. A couple times I replaced a shake with chicken or a potato :( I've never gone over my 1120 calories a day I'm just wondering if that will affect anything..?

that is a good ? as I have had a slip in my diet, but i was never told to stick to 1120 calories, maybe it is a difference in weight....good luck!

only your dr will know if it is okay.

the liquid diet is to get your liver/inside ready for surgery

just remember, after surgery, if you eat something too soon (on a cheat) you could hurt yourself...best to try and follow the doctors instructions now...they are in place for a reason.

i did a 2 1/2 week all liquid before surgery and 2 week after..so i have been there/done that.

my dr told me that if he operated and my insides werent (as they needed to be with the help of the liquid diet, he would not operate). that scared me enough to hang in there...its gonna get tougher before it gets easier and it will...best of luck to you.

CG is totally right. Talk to your doctor. Doctors advise patients what to do to make sure the surgery is safest, so check with them. Remember you are not cheating the doctor, you are cheating yourself. My doc told me point blank, if I get in and your liver is to fatty for me to do the surgery safely I have no problem closing you up. I wasn't put on a pre=op diet persay I was just told to cut back, but that was due to what the doctor found in all the test. Doctors advise based on you, no one else, so listen to them.

My Dr. scared the heck out of me.. he said I had to do the liver shrink or he would not operate or would close me up if the fat was too much.. I followed that diet strictly ... first time in my life I stayed on a diet longer than a week... now with the band I am following his instructions and the nutritionists advice... I do not want to fail.. or do something damaging to my band.. go back to what they told you and you will do fine.

Thank u for all of the advice :)

I can't imagine that having a piece of chicken or a potato instead of a shake would ruin the whole thing. Unless you're talking about fried chicken and french fries - LOL. Your doctor can best advise, but if I were a betting woman, I'd say that you are fine.

I have to admit, I haven't been stellar on my pre-op diet. I was told to eat 1200 calories per day; high Protein, low fat, and all carbs to be whole grain. The last two days (which will be this Sat/Sun) I'm to be on full liquids only. I've really pushed the envelope with this, and though I've been pretty good, I have gone over 1200 on some days. When my doctor told me that he's not too concerned about the pre-op diet with me (because I'm on the lower end for WLS), I think it gave me the feeling that I don't have to be perfect. I'm not eating crap, just a bit more than the 1200 calorie allotment. Now that I'm back from a business trip, I'll probably try & stick to full liquids for the next 4 days, instead of the last 2 days. But I have lost a few pounds; can feel it in my jeans.

You've done amazing. No, it shouldn't affect anything. I didn't have to do a "pre-op" diet. I was just required to try to lose some weight. But was not put on a liquid diet. The purpose of the diet is to shrink your liver. It shrinks no matter how you lose the weight, liquid diet or just dieting. If you are losing weight, you are doing what you need to.

Obviously, following dr's rules is best.

Congrats and good luck with your surgery