Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

State by State Lap-Band Surgery appeal rights link

We have just added a new page to our site that will give you a complete list of each State and how to contact the proper Insurance Regulatory agency in each State as well as a brief outline of that State's rights. You'll note some States have external reviews, some do not. Each State is different.

Here is the link http://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm click state by state link.

Best of luck.

Gary Viscio

www.ObesityLawyers.Com

RNY 7/1/03

-165lbs

I have Medicare as my primary insurance. WHERE IS THERE A CENTER OF EXCELLANCE! I need to hear from other Medicare patients. I have UHC as my secondary and we were ready to go and approved until Medicare popped up in February and said they would pay for WL Surgery. BUT, only at a "Center of Excellance" No one can tell me where one of those is!!! From what I understand there is not one in the kANSAS cITY mETRO AREA??!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I have found a list of approved facilities at this website

http--www.cms.hhs.gov

First go to the More section under Medicare

Second click on medicare approved facilities under medicare general information

Third click on bariatric surgery

This should give you a list of all approved facilites in the US.

Good Luck

M

Thank you Mvpo8961 I will check it out. No one else has been able to give me a place to look. Thanks so much!

Hey I am from Mobile, Al and I was wondering if you could help me. Well, for starters I don't have any insurance and I needed to be steered to a insurance company that might cover the surgery.

United Healthcare's contract with ATT will cover Lapband. It's not really the Insurance company that determines the coverage though. It is the contract that the Employer has WITH the Insurance company. Good Luck.

hello I was bandedin 04 covered by uhc contracted thru raytheon today the insurance has changed and it has exclusions regarding any weightloss issues or procedures I feel that this is a real injustice to me I have already been banded and may have followup procedures or issues this is who I am now I am not asking for them to cover the weightloss procedure but take care of me if something goes wrong nothing different then heart or diabetics or just any unforseen problems.any help with appeals would be greatly helpful. TIA Lori :help:

I do not see the state by state link that Atty. Viscio is referencing when I click his link. I would be very interested in seeing that.

Does anyone have FIRST HEALTH???

Hello Group

My name is Len and I'm in California. I'm new to this group and trying to figure out how to post a question. If I'm not in the right section, can someone help?

My insurance (Blue Shield HMO)has recently approved me for a consultation for bypass surgery. I went to Cedars Sinai Hospital and met with a wonderful doctor, Gary Furman. He recommends the Lapband for me. After hearing the facts on the two options I really don't want my "innards" cut up and disected. I would like to have the lapband surgery. In looking at my insurance brochure, it seems as though they approve the bypass but not the lapband which seems ludicriss to me.

I would REALLY appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Len

Len I have heard of this and I think that maybe the lapband 1 they think is experimental which in some ways maybe true I have had the lapband for 3 years and seeing more and more complications and removals. 2 I think that maintenance is very costly 300 to 600 for a fill and then their can be added cost for problems following the fill I am so over this band and I have lost 115lbs and all of a sudden I have complications it is not easy and some ways torture not all have these problems but soooooo many do.

I am currently looking into the gastric sleeve low maintenance no vomiting all have some draw backs just please think of life after the band before u drop your whole life savings into it.. not trying to scare you but want the best for you. Keep in mind that the surgeon is making an investment in your life because u will need him or her for the rest of your life or until the band is removed..this is lot of money heading his way... Lori

Hi Len:

First, congrats Tampa girl for the great amount of loss. Way to go!

I think what you should do Len is do what is right for you. There are many procedures and like Tampa said, all of them have drawbacks.

I looked into all of the current procedures available. Although my doctor suggested a gastric bypass, I am for the Lap Band. I was not excited about getting my organs cut, staples. It was just something I did not want to do. The Lap Band's most recent studies showed improvements in

it such that recovery time was less, maintenance was a big concern for me but there is support at my hospital. There is also a procedure once you are at goal and have reconstructive surgery to remove the apron if you happen to have that problem post your weightloss. They can adjust the band at that time so it is less visible. But I agree 100% with Lori, think of life after the band and ask yourself are you the type of person that could fit this into the mainstream of your life.

Best of luck.