Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! PLEASE & THANK YOU!

Hi, I am soooo dissapointed because today I went for a fill and the nurse did not give me one, even though I truly believe I need one. plus, we all knoe the feeling of patiently waiting a month for them and to end up not even getting it is so stressful. I had my surgery on october 12, 2012 so today I make 5 months post op and i've only lost about 10-12 pounds. Im so dissapointed! I am at 5cc and feel no restriction what so ever! I've met other women there that are inly 2 months post op and they are at 5/6 cc. any suggestions on what I should do I am just sooo stressed about this. Makes me feel like not even this is going to work for me! :( is anyone else having a hard time or is it just me?!? Thanks :)

I really don't think fill amounts are as important as eating properly. I have had 3 fills and they total 2cc, maybe. My surgeon does all the fills even if I see an intern or nurse. I think you will be fine.

Call the doctor. Bypass the nurse. Get it from the mouth of the professional.

I had the same thing happen to me over and over. I waited a whole year before I went in again. I had maintained the 20+ pounds that I had lost and had not gained. This was only my second fill and I had 6cc already in there and was given another 2 cc last Friday. I'm excited to say that I feel the restriction and a fullness that I never had before. Give it time...you will get the fill that you need :)

Well first, you have to remember the amount of Fluid in your band is completely irrelevant. Some are at the perfect level with completely empty bands and others need a lot of fills, it all depends on your anatomy.

When you say you feel you no restriction, do you realize that "restriction" actually has nothing to do with the band restricting how much or what you eat? Too often, people say restriction thinking the band is going "restrict" what they eat- and that isn't the case. The band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating, it's supposed to keep you satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. It will always be your job to make sure your portions are a cup or less per meal and to make healthy food choices.

Here's a link I think may help you considerably: The Lap-band is NOT about Restriction, by Dr. Simpson: http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

You say you've only lost 10-12 pounds since October. How many calories are you eating a day? Do you keep your portions to a cup or less per meal?

Hi, I am soooo dissapointed because today I went for a fill and the nurse did not give me one, even though I truly believe I need one. plus, we all knoe the feeling of patiently waiting a month for them and to end up not even getting it is so stressful. I had my surgery on october 12, 2012 so today I make 5 months post op and i've only lost about 10-12 pounds. Im so dissapointed! I am at 5cc and feel no restriction what so ever! I've met other women there that are inly 2 months post op and they are at 5/6 cc. any suggestions on what I should do I am just sooo stressed about this. Makes me feel like not even this is going to work for me! :( is anyone else having a hard time or is it just me?!? Thanks :)

What did you tell her you were eating? If she felt like you weren't eating correctly a fill won't do you any good.

Interesting I have never been told I should get one or discouraged from getting one. They give me their opinion and then let me decide what I feel is best getting one or not. They gave me 5cc for the very first time and from then on it is my decision after discussing. Every Doctor is different.

I would at least try again. i know first hand that yes eating properly is a must but the fills really do make all the difference. As well as they make it easier to eat properly.

I was banded 3 days after you and I'm just now at 5cc in my band, but like everyone has stated, that has nothing to do with anything.I just reached the green zone with the last fill 2wks ago.

I keep my calorie intake close to 1000, Protein at every meal 60 grs total for the day and minimum of 64oz of Fluid a day.

I'm not able to do much exercising, so that is not a factor in my weight loss.

If you are following your diet plan and not losing, I would ask to speak with the Dr or Nut. and work out whats going on.

Good luck

Call the doctor. Bypass the nurse. Get it from the mouth of the professional.

My surgeon wants me to feel somewhat in control of my band. Call the surgeon. Make it happen. Stand up and get what you need from this band. Otherwise its just another diet. Don't wait. The function of fills is not so much restriction as I am learning over and over, but satiaty on 1 c of food. If you are not there without feeling frustrated then you need a fill.

I would ask to talk to the Dr. Think of your band as a cordless drill. If the battery is dead (no restriction) it doesn't do it's job. If the battery if fully charged (green zone) it will get the job done at a steady pace. But remember that you still hold the drill and pull the trigger so so the speed (weight loss) still comes back to you and your choices.

How long can you go between meals? How large are your meals. What are you eating. You should expect at restriction to be able to go 4-5 he's before you feel hungry. The band isn't meant to make you never feel hungry.

This is a pretty good rule to go by. How big are the meals and how long can you go without getting hungry.

For example I had Breakfast this morning at 8AM and I had a half cup of egg beater scrambled, mixed with a 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella and a half a slice of whole wheat toast followed up with a Decaf coffee 40 minutes later. Here it is 2:10PM and I am not hungry at all but I know I better eat something or my protein/caloric intake will be way to low for the day.

I would say if you cannot go a minimum of 4 hours without getting hungry then you need the fill and I would call the Doctor's office and ask for a physician call back and explain it to him.

Best of Luck, Jim

Question- when I eat, the first two bites hurt, like I swallowed a piece of candy whole. I can feel the food passing thru the band. Then I don't feel it anymore. I am taking small bites, chewing a lot. Does anyone else experience this? Should I be able to feel the food passing down into the stomach like this? I have had four fills and am at 5 3/4 cc in the band. Since I'm getting hungry 2-3hrs later I don't know if I am too tight or need a fill. I have drastically cut carbs since getting banded and increased Protein. Like some of you, it feels tighter in the morning so I drink a Protein Shake. I spoke with the bariatric nurse and she suggested drinking something warm before eating. Is this normal? I don't get things stuck and I don't vomit. Just feel sort of confused at this stage.....