Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No restriction...Weight gain....It's like I never even had it !!!

I can't help but wonder if you're expecting the band to physically stop you from eating, because that isn't the band's job. It will always be your job to keep your portions to a cup or less.

Here's a couple articles that I think will help you a lot:

Best wishes and be sure to follow up with your doctor

I definitely need to read these and will do so tonight. Thank you :)

Well folks...still no answers. Did the barium swallow with xrays and the xray technician seemed to think that everything with the band looked okay. That was almost a week ago and my doctor's office has yet to contact me to go over the results. This is what is irritating me more than anything at this point. I know the second I call and make an appointment all they are going to want to do is give me another fill and take another $125 out of my pocket. I really don't know what to do at this point. It really didn't help that my surgeon was suggesting I get the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy the last time I was in. This is so discouraging to me. Maybe I don't want another surgery. Maybe I want to figure out why this surgery isn't helping me like it should. Maybe I want a doctor that is going to help me figure it out instead of trying to push another surgery down my throat. I feel like in his head he has almost washed his hands of the situation. I am beyond frustrated. Don't get me wrong, I can't lie, I have thought about getting the gastric sleeve surgery just because I feel desperate at this point. Not sure what my next move should be........... <_<

Sorry to hear of your struggles. Did you ask this last time how much is in your band? I know it isn't relevant in the big picture and it is about how you feel but just so you can have a mental note of where you were, were you are, etc. Not to compare with others but to know your own progress. I say this because, I recently had to get an "unfill" and I know where I was at before and now am working my way back up to my comfort level. My doctor doesn't like to tell me how many cc I have as he feels it is irrelevant too and doesn't want me getting fixated on that.

So, the good news is you don't have a slip (it sounds like) from the scan. I was concerned as that could've happened and esp. from the vomiting. They should have been able to see how restricted you were though by how fast the Fluid was going down. My dr. showed me this on the scan as the barium "funneled" through.

Lastly, as earlier mentioned by TMF I believe, are you focusing on your eating? For me it makes a HUGE difference if I follow the "rules" and eat my SOLID Protein first, then veggies.... For example, I can eat salad like a slider food and not fill up. I can eat Soup, etc. same thing. However, if I eat 3-4 ounces of chicken or fish first, then veggies.. I do get "full" and am satiated on that. Whereas the other foods, I will keep grazing and not feel full. In the a.m. I have an egg white omelet I like to make w/ veggies, ham, etc. that is lowfat/cal and keeps me full all morning and also a low/fat and cal oatmeal w/ eggwhites (sounds gross but is YUMMY) and filling. Perhaps, if you try to change some of your eating habits it will help.

Can you call their office and speak w/ the nurse to get your questions/concerns answered rather than having to go in each time? Explain that as a self-pay patient it is very difficult to make several trips in. If you do have questions or concerns of your dr. it is also your right to speak up and address those with him/her (respectfully, of course). Sometimes just having a frank "crucial" conversation will help.

Best wishes to you!

I definitely take responsibility for not losing more in the beginning. There was a time when I was throwing up at every meal but it was almost like once I threw up I could eat more than I did before I threw up. I am by no means a "Perfect Lapband" patient and have made some mistakes but having a band with no restriction is pointless. Isn't that the whole point?

Maybe there is a leak in your band.

~hiddn

A barium swallow helps to show if the band placement is good. It can show the level of restriction too but 'it looks good' is very subjective, does that mean the swallow went down easy? Slow? What?

Erosion can only be detected by GI.

A leak can be detected via a CT scan or via complete withdrawal of all Fluid about 3 months in between (this is important especially to detect a slow leak).

There are many things your doctor could do to get to the bottom of this, and throwing their hands up and giving up is a piss poor response from him, if I do say so myself. You may have something as simple as a small leak in your tubing that could be fixed my day surgery, for all he knows.

I had a slow leak. Which meant I never retained restriction beyond a day or so after being filled. It took 15 months, multiple tests, many withdrawls of all the Fluid in my band and two port replacements for them to realise it was my band itself that was leaking. Even the CT scans didn't show up the leak, it was so slow.

When it became apparent what it was, I had the option of a new band or a sleeve. I got a new band in April this year. It's now restricted, I'm maintaining EASILY and back into the bandster lifestyle.

Do not give up. I was so frustrated I was often in tears. But I would not be fobbed off, and I would not let them off with just ignoring my issue. It was NOT all in my mind, and I insisted they take me seriously.

If you need to chat, feel free to PM me.

Did you get a barium swallow? What is happening to you is exactly what happened to me. But turns out i had a large slip! New surgeon says its because my band was too tight! Im going in for surgery tomirrow to have it replaced. Good luck hun!

Well folks...still no answers. Did the barium swallow with xrays and the xray technician seemed to think that everything with the band looked okay. That was almost a week ago and my doctor's office has yet to contact me to go over the results. This is what is irritating me more than anything at this point. I know the second I call and make an appointment all they are going to want to do is give me another fill and take another $125 out of my pocket. I really don't know what to do at this point. It really didn't help that my surgeon was suggesting I get the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy the last time I was in. This is so discouraging to me. Maybe I don't want another surgery. Maybe I want to figure out why this surgery isn't helping me like it should. Maybe I want a doctor that is going to help me figure it out instead of trying to push another surgery down my throat. I feel like in his head he has almost washed his hands of the situation. I am beyond frustrated. Don't get me wrong, I can't lie, I have thought about getting the gastric sleeve surgery just because I feel desperate at this point. Not sure what my next move should be........... <_<

Sounds to me like you need to find another doctor. My concern is that your doc didn't talk to you about your x-ray immediately after it was taken. I know that's what my doc's office does. I don't leave there without information about my body, my band. I sure hope you haven't had to get another surgery. Please let us know how you are doing at this point.

Can you post a follow up? How are you doing?