Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How I Live with the Band....

There have many discussions about this and that, and there have been as many different theories and practices......

So I decided to post how I live with the band, day in and day out, and have been for over 18 months now (since hitting Green)

This is not what I THINK, or what I have been told, or taught......I am simply stating how it works for me and how I get along day to day.....

I should also say it has all become second nature...a new habit, lifestyle....don't really think about it all that much and there is little or no work involved.

People use the term "Full"...I have never felt full ever since being banded...I experience something totally different. But for argument sake and since everyone relates to that term. I will use it here....

I feel "FULL" 24/7....I am always Full...and it has nothing to do with what or when I eat...It is because the band is there 24/7 sending the message to my brain that I am full, whether I have eaten or not...

Notice I did not say "between meals"...the band is always there...not just between meals....so the sensation is always there....Like it says in the "Green Zone"..I am simply "Not Hungry" Period....

2nd, in relation to people saying they eat enough to feel full, I do experience something like that...but it has to do with the band setting my portion sizes...I have not measured/weighed portions (or counted calories) since 3-4 months after my surgery....I rely on the band to tell me when to stop.....Again, another characteristic of the Green Zone..Portion Sizes....and it has worked out just fine for me all this time....it was my Dr. who told me not to get hung up over calories, etc, but instead, learn to "Listen" and obey your band.....

People say drinking while eating will wash food down....if this is true then it would be bad news for me because it would increase the size of my portions....and I would start to gain weight....

But right now it is impossible to over eat...the band/pouch simply will not allow it....

As far as "Sliders"...cannot do....one thing people here do not talk about is that after eating so little for so long, your normal stomach cannot tolerate what it used to....so if I did attempt to eat say, lots of ice cream, I feel it right away and would get an old fashioned tummy ache.....so I can eat very little slider food...including Soup...

I know i is different for everyone here, and it is up to each individual to choose how they want to work with their band...it is adjustable....

But this is how it is for me....every day......

"I feel "FULL" 24/7....I am always Full...and it has nothing to do with what or when I eat...It is because the band is there 24/7 sending the message to my brain that I am full, whether I have eaten or not..."

Wow. All I can say is wow. I still get hungry at mealtime, sometimes so much so that I regret wolfing down my meal and it comes right back up. I've been at the green spot for 3 yrs now and I can honestly say that the and does help with Portion Control, but I still get mighty hungry. My eyes are much bigger than my tummy (like I usually make a whole sandwich still and can only eat 1/2).

Good for you that you are never hungry. Wish my band worked like that!

Marci

There have many discussions about this and that' date=' and there have been as many different theories and practices......

So I decided to post how I live with the band, day in and day out, and have been for over 18 months now (since hitting Green)

This is not what I THINK, or what I have been told, or taught......I am simply stating how it works for me and how I get along day to day.....

I should also say it has all become second nature...a new habit, lifestyle....don't really think about it all that much and there is little or no work involved.

People use the term "Full"...I have never felt full ever since being banded...I experience something totally different. But for argument sake and since everyone relates to that term. I will use it here....

I feel "FULL" 24/7....I am always Full...and it has nothing to do with what or when I eat...It is because the band is there 24/7 sending the message to my brain that I am full, whether I have eaten or not...

Notice I did not say "between meals"...the band is always there...not just between meals....so the sensation is always there....Like it says in the "Green Zone"..I am simply "Not Hungry" Period....

2nd, in relation to people saying they eat enough to feel full, I do experience something like that...but it has to do with the band setting my portion sizes...I have not measured/weighed portions (or counted calories) since 3-4 months after my surgery....I rely on the band to tell me when to stop.....Again, another characteristic of the Green Zone..Portion Sizes....and it has worked out just fine for me all this time....it was my Dr. who told me not to get hung up over calories, etc, but instead, learn to "Listen" and obey your band.....

People say drinking while eating will wash food down....if this is true then it would be bad news for me because it would increase the size of my portions....and I would start to gain weight....

But right now it is impossible to over eat...the band/pouch simply will not allow it....

As far as "Sliders"...cannot do....one thing people here do not talk about is that after eating so little for so long, your normal stomach cannot tolerate what it used to....so if I did attempt to eat say, lots of ice cream, I feel it right away and would get an old fashioned tummy ache.....so I can eat very little slider food...including soup...

I know i is different for everyone here, and it is up to each individual to choose how they want to work with their band...it is adjustable....

But this is how it is for me....every day......[/quote']

Than you for posting. I feel exactly the same as you have experienced. I am finally at that stage of never being hungry and "listening" to the band. Than you also, for your service to our country. From another bandster who "gets it!"

Sent from Angel's iPad using LapBandTalk

Almost five years now and I do relate to your perspective. I do not feel physical hunger anymore, ever. I never kept a diary, measured, weighed or counted calories or fat grams either. All of the "slider food" and drinking with the meal never really rang true for me either. Eating slowly and chewing well of course is a must. There really isn't anything I can't have ever but there are some things I can't have on certain days. After all this time, I can read my band and know when I should go for something softer or lighter or when I should probably skip the bread.

From the start I listened to my body, my new "hunger" is the need for nutrition not the tummy rumbling sucking feeling I used to feel when I missed a meal.

Now, as far as head hunger (the want, not the need for food). I do have that from time to time and my band keeps me from losing that battle too lest I want to throw up.

What do you eat on a typical day?