Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can say I do agree with you there Susan - feed me and let me sleep and Im fine! just dont wake me before my 6 hours are up <growl>

I was trying to point out both sides of what I was told and read and BAM I get told off, kind of threw me for a loop.

Im still laughing over Funnyduddies and the dead horse post, thought I would never stop laughing over that one - haven't used that icon before.

Im too new here to care what happens with the buttons. I'll leave the decisions up the the big guns and the ones who are the "regulars" here.

now dang it, anyone seen my old sig? I lost it when I lost my mind :Banane56:

I guess I could agree with not allowing an entire thread to be delted, but as we have discussed before - what's the point in that when your entire post has been Quoted elsewhere in the thread? If you are going to take away the option to completely remove a thread that someone has started and then later regrets it, I think you'll have to do away with the quote option as well. And then people can still copy and paste. So that still isn't achieving anything. I think people should have the right to remove a thread that has become a source of upset and pain to them, for whatever reason. If that leaves us open to people who also delete threads because they are angry, or are just in a pissy mood, then so be it. I see no reason to treat everyone like a child just because one or two have behaved like one. (Not that I think anyone did, but that seems to be the basis for these changes.)

I do realize that you are trying to do what you think is best for LBT, Alexandra. And I can see where you are coming from in your thinking on this. However, I really disagree with the proposed changes.

OMGosh, another Amen! :amen:

I don't want to come down on any side of any fence, heh, but I would like to note that in both threads ("Is someone deleting large threads" & this one) that only about 5 voices are being heard.

I know that the moderators & owner have to do what they decide is best for the majority of the board... but I hope they'll perhaps take a poll before deciding anything for good. We can always learn to live within a new ruleset, but change is painful!

Oh, and on a side note, I love your new/old icon, StrawartS! :Banane56: Tres sexy!

I think the simplest solution to this issue is to allow us partial 'ownership' of our own posts through the ability to edit them - without constraint on editing time, but not the ability to delete entire threads - even those's we've started. If you can delete all participation in a thread, even the opening post, it's like you were never there. Even if someone quotes you, you can always ask a moderator to remove or edit that quote, right?

If I'm missing part of the bigger picture - and not just a general disagreement with censorship (I happen to agree with that sentiment, but this site doesn't belong to me) - please point it out to me.

Thanks for keeping this thread going everyone. I think it's important that we all understand the rules of the game so we we don't 'foul out' or acrue time in a penalty box! Besides, if I don't understand the rules, how will I know when I score? lol

I was thinking that too, Janet. I think a lot of people fear getting into a board war or something so they are just being quiet. I'm not out to fight over it at all. I've just seen this thread as an adult discussion with Alexandra, whom I really really really respect as a moderator, and she knows it. :Banane56: I would hope that more folks would pitch in with their thoughts. A poll might be a great idea, unless the mods and Alex are viewing this as strictly their decision, which is fine. But if that's the case, please just say so and we will accept it. Otherwise, let the discussions continue! :)

If you can delete all participation in a thread, even the opening post, it's like you were never there.

This is precisely what people want to achieve when they do this. And the right to do so is the issue.

Even if someone quotes you, you can always ask a moderator to remove or edit that quote, right?

I doubt any mod would want that hassle. And then you'd have folks up in arms about the mods editing their posts. Me included.

Believe me, if this was a board war, I'd have crawled under a rock by now. LOL

I would love to hear the opinions of the following folks: DeLarla, Dylansmom, nightinglale2u, Whippledaddy, Nana, Rebeccalee, Leatha, Jack, and of course any others out there. But the above folks I know have either deleted, been tempted to delete, survived an LBT "board war" where deleting has happened on a LARGE scale (I'm talking about many many threads and many many posts...in the 100's people...I'm not kidding. Which is why it shocks me that Alexandra feels this is something new? It really isn't). It's true that it seems to be the same folks here chiming in, and I'd really really love to hear what others have to say.

OR, we can assume that their silence says whatever happens is fine and I'm not concerned about it and I don't see all the fuss?

I think that editing without a timeframe tied to it is a must for the way we use the board.... glad to hear this is coming back. Deleting posts I feel should be allowed by the owner of the post. That said, I could live without the delete option if I had to. Can't live without the edit though. I don't think the ability to delete entire threads is necessary - moderators can handle if need be. Just my 2 cents.... I'm looking for updated weight loss stats on the opening post of the Gone for Good Club April Edition.

PhotoNut,

This is a tempest in a teapot. The bigger deal is made of it, the more likely changes will be made. Either you have to accept that someone may delete a thread you wanted to go back to, or you have to forego the right to edit and/or delete your own threads.

You see, even not using the "quote" function, you can be quoted:

Photonut:

I doubt any mod would want that hassle. And then you'd have folks up in arms about the mods editing their posts. Me included.

In reply to this statement, it's not like that would happen frequently. In your experience how many times have you wanted a moderator to go into someone elses post where you've been quoted and make changes to your quote? Besides, I just asked Alexandra to remove a post of mine and it wasn't a big deal, she did it within 3 minutes of my request - and that in the middle of this sudden, brewing issue!

I can't tell if you have a specific idea in mind as to how to fix this 'problem'. It sounds like you're in a kind of free fall about what you want the outcome of these arguments to be. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, I'm not normally obtuse but that doesn't mean I don't get it wrong occasionally! lol

Whatever happens, I will be more careful with both what I say on LBT and with quoting other's. IMHO an atmosphere in which one must remain guarded in case of giving offense, or in fear of the inability to edit or delete, sadly, will become sterile, dry, and less palatable. I like LBT the way it is. Or was, now.

Whew, I go to lunch and there's a lot to answer! :Banane56:

First, don't worry, I don't make unilateral decisions. I just happen to be the only mod talking to y'all about this, so you're getting an earful of my POV. TBM, many of the people you mention above are gone, for whatever reason, so it's unlikely they'll be chiming in. But to be honest, I'm mainly interested in the future of the board, not the past. I've been here longer than you have, and I have to say that the thread-deletions in the past were more, um, focused than this last batch. Or something. They were in the context of whatever brouhaha was happening at the time, and as such made sense. THIS time someone deleted lots of utterly unconnected threads that other people cared deeply about, and I just don't think that should be allowed to happen again. Maybe it seemed worse this time because the person in question had started lots of very useful, often-referred-to threads.

Once again, and I guess this bears repeating because it's important: If someone wants their identity and all posts excised from the board that will always be possible with admin's help. And I am hopeful that the post-editing feature will be restored without time limits. The only change I think is necessary is that user-level thread-deletion be prohibited.

Please realize that it's MY PERSONAL POV I'm expressing at the moment--the board policy is set by five people and the only person who can make unilateral changes is the board owner. However, this is not a democracy and whatever he determines is the right way to go is going to be the way it is. We're going to have to live with it, and I'm quite certain we will be able to.

I belong to a lot of horse racing forums. We are allowed to edit and delete but there is a time stamp that goes on there. I think you should be allowed to edit because a lot of times you read your post and you have spelled something wrong you want to correct. I haven't come across any forums yet that you can't delete and edit on. Just curious where they are.

I think once the dust settles & we get back to living, things will be fine... with or without changes. Yeah, we hate to have things change. Some will hate to see it stay the same.

After all is said and done, once we know the rules, we'll learn to work within them. If we can't edit, perhaps an updated GFG stats page is sent to a moderator weekly & they do the edit? If it's just a "select all" "paste" function, it wouldn't take them too long. I know it may not be as easy as what we do now, but it will work... there are ways & we'll find them.

For our Feb thread, I'm planning on just updating "inline" & then creating a new thread once a month. It's different, but it'll work.

Bottom line... I haven't paid a penny for the wonderful use of LBT. I love the friendships I've made & the advice I've found & all the knowledge I've gained. I want to make life easier for the moderators & owner. Whatever they need to do... I'll find a way to live with it.

I belong to a lot of horse racing forums. We are allowed to edit and delete but there is a time stamp that goes on there. I think you should be allowed to edit because a lot of times you read your post and you have spelled something wrong you want to correct. I haven't come across any forums yet that you can't delete and edit on. Just curious where they are.

Dody, can you delete an entire thread that you started? Just curious. I've belonged to several boards and while some let me edit my posts, none have ever allowed users to delete threads. It just seems to me that's not a widely used level of access on message boards of any great size.

I think once the dust settles & we get back to living, things will be fine... with or without changes. Yeah, we hate to have things change. Some will hate to see it stay the same.

. . . Bottom line... I haven't paid a penny for the wonderful use of LBT. I love the friendships I've made & the advice I've found & all the knowledge I've gained. I want to make life easier for the moderators & owner. Whatever they need to do... I'll find a way to live with it.

How right you are Janet! It's just human nature to resist change.

If I came to this board and I knew from the beginning I could not edit or delete my posts I would still have become a member and not regretted the decision. I love you all and I'll take you even if it's with a pinch (OR a pound) of salt!

TBM, many of the people you mention above are gone, for whatever reason, so it's unlikely they'll be chiming in.

Yes, I realize that.

But to be honest, I'm mainly interested in the future of the board, not the past. I've been here longer than you have, and I have to say that the thread-deletions in the past were more, um, focused than this last batch. Or something. They were in the context of whatever brouhaha was happening at the time, and as such made sense.

Then maybe I'm missing something because what has happened in the past was, indeed, a sweeping, all-encompassing, mass-deletion of threads and posts (mostly posts, for sure) and it only made sense (to me) in the context of "it was theirs to delete, anyway".

THIS time someone deleted lots of utterly unconnected threads that other people cared deeply about, and I just don't think that should be allowed to happen again. Maybe it seemed worse this time because the person in question had started lots of very useful, often-referred-to threads.

Yep, and I'm dissappointed about that, too. I just don't think it's the end of the world (and I know you don't either) we just disagree about whether or not it should be allowed to happen again. I think it should be allowed to happen again.

BUT, I have stated that 80 different ways by now, and now you have pulled your "I've been here longer than you have" card, so I hear ya. I'll just wait for the chips to fall where they will. I really do appreciate your time on this matter, and on LBT. You are a life-source for this board. You are smart and reasonable. It will be okay. :Banane56: