Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone reach their goal? but the doctor said...

Hello bandsters, I am considering lapband surgery but my doctor told me that I could only expect to reach 50-60% of my goal. That's not necessarily bad, but I don't want to invest 16K for a 50lb loss (25 will probably come from pre-op diet alone!) I am 240lbs, 5"7, and 30 years old. I don't have any intention to be a skinny 120lb model but I DO want to get back to my healthy 140lbs (which I was about 4-5 years ago). Have any of you reached your ENTIRE goal? Do you know anyone that has? Thanks in advance :) P.S. I am considering SWLC or CIBO in Ontario.

How much you lose is entirely up to you and how much you're willing to work for it. If you want to lose 100% of your excess weight you definitely can. There's many people on here who have actually lost more than 100% of their original excess weight.

As for myself, I've already lost 195 pounds in 14 months. That is 75% of my excess weight and I'm still consistently losing. I have no doubt I'll lose the rest of the weight, too.

It's all up to you how much you lose.

Best wishes.

The goal weight I set up with my nutritionist was 170. I was hoping for 145 and I just reached that (145) on March 1st. Feb 3rd 2012 was my 1 year anniversary.

I lost +100% of mine. I have regained a few extra lbs after I had surgery last year and had all my Fluid removed like a big dummy. Have almost all of the regained weight back off now though. It can be done. They tell everyone that because that's the average.

GREAT QUESTION!! I wondered the same thing and just figured it was an average and I am happy to hear the responses support my idea that it would be up to me to lose everything I want to lose. I just had my consultation today and physical today. Will have the lab results tomorrow and hopefully funding as well since I am self-pay.... I am praying to have a surgery date scheduled by Friday!! I will be so excited if I can get the band for my birthday on March 23rd!! I already received my pre-op diet info and only have to do 5 days liquid then 2 days clear liquid before surgery!!! I have never looked forward to a pure liquid diet like I am now!

I've lost about 75% of my excess weight, maybe a bit more. My surgeon commented at my last appointment that he would be happy if I stayed at this weight for the rest of my life. At the time, I agreed, but now I really do want to get closer to losing 90% of my excess weight as that should take me down to a size 12 easily. It will also make my sporting life that bit more comfortable.

If losing 100% of your excess weight puts you at the top of the normal BMI range then I lost in excess of 100%. I have regained a couple of pounds but my BMI is still within the normal range (22.9)

How much you lose is entirely up to you and how much you're willing to work for it. If you want to lose 100% of your excess weight you definitely can. There's many people on here who have actually lost more than 100% of their original excess weight.

As for myself' date=' I've already lost 195 pounds in 14 months. That is 75% of my excess weight and I'm still consistently losing. I have no doubt I'll lose the rest of the weight, too.

It's all up to you how much you lose.

Best wishes.[/quote']

Good for you Mis! 75% is a huge accomplishment and you must be SO proud of yourself :))

Did you exercise at all or just portion control...

The goal weight I set up with my nutritionist was 170. I was hoping for 145 and I just reached that (145) on March 1st. Feb 3rd 2012 was my 1 year anniversary.

Congrats on your amazing loss cls!! How long did it take you to lose the first 100lbs? Any roadblocks? Complications?

I lost +100% of mine. I have regained a few extra lbs after I had surgery last year and had all my Fluid removed like a big dummy. Have almost all of the regained weight back off now though. It can be done. They tell everyone that because that's the average.

More than 100%??!?!? WOW!! You must be so proud of yourself! I know I am!

Fluid removed? Do you mean a defill? Is that necessary for surgery or pregnancies?

Hope you have recovered from surgery.

GREAT QUESTION!! I wondered the same thing and just figured it was an average and I am happy to hear the responses support my idea that it would be up to me to lose everything I want to lose. I just had my consultation today and physical today. Will have the lab results tomorrow and hopefully funding as well since I am self-pay.... I am praying to have a surgery date scheduled by Friday!! I will be so excited if I can get the band for my birthday on March 23rd!! I already received my pre-op diet info and only have to do 5 days liquid then 2 days clear liquid before surgery!!! I have never looked forward to a pure liquid diet like I am now!

Lilmispcl - the term "average" actually concerns me because just like there are big losers there are small losers. I'm afraid to be the latter. I'm not even concerned about the $$ (although I'm self pay!) as much as having a foreign object in me that won't help.

Is it normal to be this scared?

Which clinic are you going to?

I've lost about 75% of my excess weight' date=' maybe a bit more. My surgeon commented at my last appointment that he would be happy if I stayed at this weight for the rest of my life. At the time, I agreed, but now I really do want to get closer to losing 90% of my excess weight as that should take me down to a size 12 easily. It will also make my sporting life that bit more comfortable.[/quote']

SageTracey. That's impressive!! Was it hard?? How long has the 75% taken you?

If losing 100% of your excess weight puts you at the top of the normal BMI range then I lost in excess of 100%. I have regained a couple of pounds but my BMI is still within the normal range (22.9)

What an accomplishment! how long did that take you?

My 100% would put me in the middle of my BMI. But I think you're right. A healthy BMI is what matters.

More than 100%??!?!? WOW!! You must be so proud of yourself! I know I am!

Fluid removed? Do you mean a defill? Is that necessary for surgery or pregnancies?

Hope you have recovered from surgery.

Thanks. I had a complete de fill before my TT last year even though my surgeon said I didn't need to I felt like I did because I was scared I wouldn't be able to eat or take pain meds after surgery because I cannot eat or drink or take meds then lay down for at least 2 hours after. I knew with the TT I would be laying flat alot.