Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Missing my band

:think I had to have my band removed after 8 months. I lost 60 lbs. and now I'm slowly gaining it back. I've told myself I can't do that . I'm totally out of control. I eat everything I see then I lay awake at night hating myself for being so weak. I need to get control but, How? Can anyone help me? What are my chances of being re-banded? The Dr. that did the original does'nt do that surgery amymore. . I'm so sad.

Why did you have to have the band removed? Obviously something went wrong with it, I'm sure you are feeling really depressed after having gone through everything, losing 60 lbs, contrats, and then going through another surgery to have it removed.

Depression is an evil in most of our lives, we must try really hard to take control over it and not have it ruin our lives. For me depression has been a major source of my over eating. You'll often hear the term head hunger used on this board, and believe me it is really real, it does exist.

Try to remember how good it feels now, vs when you were heavier and remember, the band is a tool, a valuable, helpful and wonderful tool, but it's still you that takes control and loses the weight. You can do it and keep that ball rolling until you find another surgeon. There must be another doc in your area that does the surgeries, it's become more and more popular and many docs have joined the band wagon(pun intended):)

Be strong, come here often, and cry to us when you need a lift. That's what this forum is all about, support. Let us be your cheeseburger, fries, and chocolate shakes. I promise you we do not have any calories, fat, or anything else that will put weight on you so dig in here and have all you want, guilt free.

I seriously wish you the very best, I know it must be devastating to have gone through what you have. But you have survived and that's what is really important. Remember you are already a true blue success story:clap2:

Cindy

Thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement. I had the band removed because it slipped. I've heard it could happen but never thought it would happen to me. I am in the process of finding a new doctor but its not easy. I'm also not sure if the insurance will pay for it again. I'm trying not to let this get me down. You are such a help. I feel better already! Thankyou. It's nice to have someone who understands.

I hope you find a way to get where you need to be. Once I knew my band was on its way out, I REALLY wanted it out. And I'm glad I was revised to DS...but we're all different. So, I hope you get what YOU need.

Honey,

I miss my band so much, too. I lost 51 lbs during the 6 months I had it. It made losing weight so much easier, huh. Now, I'm having to do it on my own and it DOES get depressing. Some days, I just cry.

I gained 10 lbs the first week after having my band removed (mine slipped, too) - talk about being deperessed! Yikes, 10 lbs! And I didn't even feel that I was eating very much. I realized very quickly that I needed to do something about it QUICKLY because I didn't go through surgery....pbs.....not being able to eat......pain......surgery again........for nothing. So I started NutriSystem last Friday and have lost 6 pounds this week but boy am I struggling.

I would reband in a heartbeat if/when possible. The band is definitely not a "cure-all" but it sure helps!

I'm so sorry you're going through this pain - so, so sorry. You're not alone; there are a few of us out there that have gone through this and really understand.

Reaching out and telling us your story is a start. I wish you the best and if you need/want to talk - pm me and I'll give you my #.

Good luck to you - I'll be thinking about you!

Thank you for your support. It helps to know I'm not the only one struggling. Where do you live? I thought about nutra system to but its so expensive!! Again thank you.

I'm in San Diego - how about you?

Yes, NutriSystem is pretty expensive. But when you break it down to how much you're paying per day - it's not quite as bad. Your first month is $289 with 7 extra days so it actually comes to a little over $8 per day, which isn't too bad. After the first month it'll be closer to $10 per day. Of course you still have to go out and buy your fruits, veggies and dairy/protein.

I decided to go ahead and try it for a month. If I'm losing and able to stay on program - it'll be worth it to me. I'm pretty close to goal weight - about 25 lbs. I'm not sure what I'll do after I get there - I've never actually seen "goal weight". Will I even recognize it??? I guess I'll just take what I've learned at NutriSystem and try to apply it without their meals. But for now while I'm learning the system, using their foods makes it much easier.

If you go on the NutriSystem website under communities, there is a bulletin board and there are people doing "Nutrisystem" without the prepackaged food. It is possible. I'm just not big on cooking, but if you like to cook maybe that could be an option for you.

Let me know if I can help in any way. You're definitely not alone out there. I know it can feel very lonely sometimes, especially when you see everyone else out there succeeding with the band. It's hard. Very hard. But WE can do it! We've come this far haven't we? I've come this far before and have regressed back to my original weight and more. I refuse to let that happen this time. I have to keep reminding myself what I felt like then and what I feel like now. I also am having to take one day at a time and remind myself that the food I WANT to enjoy today is not leaving the planet and I'll be able to enjoy it when I get to where I want to be. I am coming to grips with the fact I can not eat what the other people eat around me and continue to lose or even stay the same. If I eat what they're eating, I'll gain. It's not fair, but that is my reality. If I want this to work I'm going to have to make some major changes. Last night we went to the movies with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. On my right, DH munching on Peanut M&M's and on my left, SIL eating a whole bag of popcorn with butter. Me? Carrots and a banana. It was so hard while I was sitting there but after the movie I felt like a million bucks.

Small steps - 1 day at a time (starting today-that's another thing I've learned about myself. I ALWAYS would say to myself "I'll start tomorrow" but tomorrow never comes. It's always today and we can only makes changes in our todays).

Good luck to you and I'm here if you need anything or have any more questions about NutriSystem.

Sorry for such a long post - good day to you!

Honey,

I lost my band last week 4/19 due to a slip that couldn't be repaired. I understand your fear of regaining the weight. I have the same fear. Although i only lost 38 pounds in 3 years it made a big difference in my appearance and how I felt. I started a food log on a journal here. For now it's private, but I'll probably change that today or tomorrow. This is a really supportive group of people. One thing that helps me to avoid being compulsive is to know that I can have whatever I want to eat without fear of choking or throwing up or acid reflux. So everyday I eat exactly what I want. If I examine what I truly crave it is NOT hamburgers, shakes, and all that crap. It's good, healthy, tasty food. I'm trying to let my inner adult make the food decisions versus my inner child. I'm also trying to BELIEVE in myself. That's hard when there is so much evidence of failure in the past. Coming here and reading and writing helps a lot. I think Cindy's post is very wise in that regard.

There are some unbanded people on this forum that seem to me to have been very successful at not regaining weight or regaining very little. It helps to read their posts.

I'm pulling for you and so is everyone else.

-Mary Ann

I live in NY. I seem to have more self control since I came here to you guys for help. I'm not so depressed. I'm trying the South Beach diet at the moment. It surprises me when I find the morning gone and I have'nt thought of food (much). I've even lost 1-1/2 lbs! It's a start. I've sent the paper work in to be re-banded at Albany Medical Center but have'nt heard from them. I hear their program is tough but I'm willing to try it if I can get my band back. If not, I think I'm finally adjusting to life without it. Still missing it but replacing it with this communication. Who knows it just might work. :confused:

I had my band for 4 yrs and have now been a week with out it due to a slip. I know just how you feel about missing your band but I was having some several issues with reflux and aspirated pneumonia. Due to these health issues I had to have my band removed. I have lost 130 lbs with my band and want to keep it off. Good luck with Nutri System.

Trace W. Curry, M.D. Lap Band Surgeon :: Home

Here's the man who can help you. He is the surgeon on here that helps us all with complications and he's my surgeon. He is the best. Please email him. I feel so bad for you because any of us could be in that same spot at any time. Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions. He really is world known.

Im still learning.what causes the band to slip, how do you avoid that?Due to where I live it is for sure something I'd not wont to happen as the only way out of here is by plane 2xday,Id be in trouble....

Honey:

You're not to blame in any way. You really should pick up the book "Rethinking Thin" that talks about all of the obesity research, genetics, etc. After losing a lot of weight, your body acts like it is in starvation mode... the urge to eat (and the biochemical signals your body is sending) are extremely powerful. Same like the signals telling you to drink Water. It's not about willpower or control. The reason 95-99% of people regain weight after a diet has nothing to do with willpower... the odds are even worse if you've been MO. Surgery is the only thing that has shown to be effective. Period.

Don't beat yourself up about this. Look into rebanding, if that interests you, or into a VSG, RNY, or DS.

Peace.

Honey-

I am so sorry for your loss. I am not yet banded and I worry about band slipping, being stuck or one of the several other things some people talk about. Good luck!!!

Can anyone tell me what the 'DS' is. I have read several other threads before that talk about converting from the band to the DS. I was just wondering what that is and are the cutting some of the stomach and intestine out and then rerouting anything? That is what scares me about the rouxenY.

Good luck all and keep posting. This site has really helped me in my journey BEFORE banding. I am learning a lot!!!

Jackie:

The DS stands for the Duodenal Switch. Basically, two things happen, one you're given a sleeve gastrectomy... meaning 60-80% of your stomach is removed... which is good in that, they remove the portion that produces a lot of the ghrelin (hunger hormone.) (Note: now they do only the VSG part alone.) The second part is the duodenal switch where they bypass the intestines. The good part about the DS is that they have the highest level of weight loss, most cures with regard to diabetes, etc. The negative is that it is the most prone to nutritional complications... severe anemia, osteoporosis, etc.

You can find out more on duodenalswitch.com or by googling it.

Karla