Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you think Re: liquid diet

I get the whole "shrink your fatty liver" thing. I'm on Opti fast 800 calories a day. The nurse told me they want us on 1000 a day but give us 800 calories because they assume we cheat. Well I don't cheat. But what I'm finding is that I am really hungry and it is making it impossibe to be sane and kind to my family. I've decided to add 200 calories of lean Protein and good fat every other day. Anyone think this is a terrible idea. I started today and I finally had the energy to clean my house after 6 days and I don't feel like I'm going to scream at everyone.

What say you?

Ok. and my plan is to not do any solids three days before surgery. So,I've got the empty stomach thing covered.

My diet consists of only two shakes a day plus one "grocery meal" that can be protien and veggies, but no fats or carbs. I have been eating salads with tuna, veggie burgers, eggs and peppers, etc. without any added carbs or fats. Oh! And Greek Yogurt where have you been all my life?? Great with some ranch packet sprinkled in to dip raw vegetables.

If you were told by your provider that 1000 cals is your limit then I say you can add a small HEALTHY protien to your day. It will help you stay full.

GOOD LUCK =)

I actually have a similar question. My doctor put me on a diet until surgery, but did not specify a number of calories, Proteins, carbs, or fats. I have been eating around 700 calories, and myfitnesspal.com is telling me that I am not eating enough, and that I should eat 1200 calories a day. I am really hungry right now! Anyway, I will get in touch with the doctor's office in the morning, I guess. I am just not sure what to do in the meantime.

Here is what I was told to do: max 1000 cals, less than 60 carbs, at least 60 protien.

MyFitnessPal is telling me the same hing but this is not a typical diet, it's like a cleanse if you will for surgery. Keep that in mind and good luck :)

i've been on 1250-1260 calories each day. My body and brain have adapted to this total quite well. Some days maybe only 900-1000, 2 liquid Protein drinks for Breakfast and lunch, a large bowl of vegetable Soup for dinner with plenty of spices for flavoring. If I know I may eat a bit over my calorie amount ( a special weekend event/function) I tend on Wed to Fri stay tight on 1000 calories or so. This is like a built in treat for the event.

Just remember the pain and any suffering in getting ready for the "band". Stay on course and Do it Right!

Best wishes and Keep the faith.

Thank you for your responses. I kept busy last night and had a couple of glasses of Water, and made it fine through the night. I have emailed my surgeon's office to find out whom I would talk to about the pre-surgical diet. I see the surgeon again on Thursday, and my surgery is next week on Wednesday. I have no idea how much I have lost, as the battery in my scale died! I will be going to get a new one later. I know I have lost at least 7 pounds since before my battery died.

Thank you all for being an inspiration to me on a daily basis since I joined this site. You are all wonderful, and it is an honor to get to know you!

Different doctors seems to have different policies. My doctor just had me do an Adkins style diet pre-op. Less than 20g of carbs a day. Thats it, otherwise just eat smart. I ate scrambled eggs with turkey sausage for Breakfast, Protein shake for lunch, and lean grilled meat (chicken or pork) with lettuce only salad, with low carb dressing, for dinner.

liquid only seems to be very harsh, but it may also be to prepare you for you first week post-op and just get you used to eating less, which is what you will be doing forever there after.

• Well, I called the Dr. office to say what I wanted to do. The receptionist said NO WAY. liquid only. I'm so irritated because I am in medicine and I know there is no MEDICAL reason for not adding the 200 calories. And there is no medical reason for liquid only (recieving the calories by solid or liquid..no difference). They said I could have sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles or one bouillion cube in hot Water if I was hungry (yuck, seriously? why not actual real chicken broth). Well.... jello has 10 calories, boullion cube has 20 calories and the popscicle has 40 calories. I do not like artificial sweetners, never drank or ate them before, so I want to avoid that. I have the card for the dietician I saw, I think I will call her tomorrow instead of speaking to the receptionist. She wouldn't be allowed to say I could deviate from the original plan anyway.
  • Seriously, this type of hunger is a total set up for a major binge. I've not cheated in 6 days, but I'm geting punchy. TWO MORE WEEKS of this...man.
  • I'm all about doing the right thing and am prepared to work with my band. The difference is that I will be able to eat REAL food and will not have to feel the hunger, lightheadedness, headaches and moodiness. It seems like torture. UGH. Thanks for listening.

• Well, I called the Dr. office to say what I wanted to do. The receptionist said NO WAY. Liquid only. I'm so irritated because I am in medicine and I know there is no MEDICAL reason for not adding the 200 calories. And there is no medical reason for liquid only (recieving the calories by solid or liquid..no difference). They said I could have sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles or one bouillion cube in hot Water if I was hungry (yuck, seriously? why not actual real chicken broth). Well.... Jello has 10 calories, boullion cube has 20 calories and the popscicle has 40 calories. I do not like artificial sweetners, never drank or ate them before, so I want to avoid that. I have the card for the dietician I saw, I think I will call her tomorrow instead of speaking to the receptionist. She wouldn't be allowed to say I could deviate from the original plan anyway.
  • Seriously, this type of hunger is a total set up for a major binge. I've not cheated in 6 days, but I'm geting punchy. TWO MORE WEEKS of this...man.
  • I'm all about doing the right thing and am prepared to work with my band. The difference is that I will be able to eat REAL food and will not have to feel the hunger, lightheadedness, headaches and moodiness. It seems like torture. UGH. Thanks for listening.

I have the Optifast thing too but it's not 800 calories. 160 each and I'm "allowed" three a day. That's 480. I am allowed sugarfree popsicles and clear broth. Not much. I agree about the binge thing but, if anything, this is good practice, right? I did two weeks on Protein Drinks only back in October when I first started thinking about the band. I figured if I couldn't make it two weeks then I shouldn't consider the band as an option. I didn't have any trouble. More hungry now than then, But we will keep going because we're going to succeed and a little discomfort now will pave the way for great results later. Good luck!

I know you are frustrated....we all have been there...but HANG IN THERE....this too shall pass and will be well worth it.

I found that by the second week, all of my cravings for sugar/carbs really had vanished, I didn't think that was really possible. Also, I found that a lot of my hunger was from only relying on the liquid diet and not sipping on sugar free liquids all day in between. Get your Water in and I bet you feel better. I bought a case of zero calorie Vitamin Water and took one eveywhere to sip on all day long.

Lastly, and I'm sorry for this too, but you will not be on REAL food for a long time after surgery. I have another two weeks of liquids and then three weeks of mushies The more into the routine you are now, the better =)

Good luck, and keep venting, that's what we are here for!