Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexican Food???

It is my husband's birthday. Tomorrow he has requested mexican food for dinner. So, I am taking him out.

What should I choose?

Feel like I need to tape my mouth shut so I will stay away from the chips.< /p>

You could make refried Beans without the refry in your crockpot (the recipe is in allrecipes.com) and maybe some shredded pork or chicken with a tiny portion of lime and cilantro rice, with a sprinkle of cheese and lettuce? You can get fajita sized tortilla shells for your hubby to make tacos out of too. :)

(Thats my standard mexican food recipe that I use now. No clue what the calories and Protein content is or how best to modify it for a lapband patient since I havent had my band yet. But I am hoping I can still enjoy a small portion of it from time to time after I get banded!)

Ps. I dont think I would ever be able to eat at a Mexican place again. Their portions are HUGE and the chips and queso would be my downfall. Thats why I prefer to cook my own!

If you know what restaurant your going to see if they have a nutritional guideline. The bigger restaurant chains have them on line so I usually look first before going out to restaurant. If its a smaller chain look up what your thinking abt chicken fajitas refried Beans, etc. I love the chips n salsa too! You can still have them just don't go crazy lol..enjoy your night out!!

I usually share a shredded chicken/cheese quesadilla with a side of refried Beans with my mom when I go and only eat 3 to 4 chips because that is all I can handle without getting sick. Don't know the nutritional value of it but that is what I like and I also make a low fat version of it here at home with low fat cheese and non stick skillet. Have fun. Sounds yummy, now I want Mexican. dang. lol.

Are you afraid / concerned about Mexican food in terms of Dieting / Calories? Or in terms of the Band....?

For me, like any other foods, some of it is not very band friendly...Mexican food, can be very soft (mushie) depending on what you order.......but I cannot tolerate globs of melted cheese, and things overly spicey - hot.... gives me that notorious reflux...so light on the salsa, and stay away from Jalapeno peppers......also rice is something I gave up a long time ago....

Breads are a no-no for me, as well as tortillas....but for some reason I have no problem with tortilla chips......

Other than that, we have Mexican food all the time.....

But Like I said, as with all foods, I have learned what is safe and what is to be cautious....

I could eat Mexican food every day! When I do, I order steak (or chicken) fajitas with guacamole and salsa and maybe a tablespoon or two of Beans. No tortillas, rice, chips, or margaritas for me anymore!!! :-)

same here.. I eat Fajitas (shrimp, chicken or steak) ... I just get an extra plate.. and put small amount of the meat, cut it up really small, add the peppers/onions and cut them up.. then top with salsa, sourcream dot, etc... then eat that.. if still hungry . do it again and eat a little bit more. I do eat chips and salsa.. not many but I can keep anything crunchy down.. I don't do the tortilla.. and yes, I have had cheese too. I am sure I will be chastised for saying that.. but I think a treat every now and again is OK.... it hasn't hurt me.. I'm down 50lbs in 4 months...

Have fun on his birthday.. just eat SLOW... and take home the leftovers... Fajitas reheat very well. I will eat on them all week at work for lunch or supper...

An easy way do eat the leftovers if you find them dry is to add some salsa to moisten it up. Enjoy

I too could eat Mexican food EVERY DAY. Man I love that stuff. Those Mexicans have the best food going. Heck, I wish I was Mexican. :)

if it was me....i would have refried Beans and some chicken (would request on the side, onion, Tomato, cheese, salsa) and make my own mexican cup of food.......yep, if it was me..but this is about you... happy birthday to your hub..dont overthink it, just eat/choose smart, eat your allotted portion and enjoy

Taco salad or many have fajita salads too. I've seen some stuffed pablanos on some menus too. I also agree that Mexican restaurants are one of the hardest for me to visit since chips have always been my achilles heel.

The carne asada is another meat dish you can enjoy without the tortilla of course. It's bathed in a sauce so it's usually not dry and shouldn't get stuck.

And if you do fall off the wagon, don't beat yourself up. It's just one day in several thousands of days and it only takes a couple of days to recoup any ground you may have lost.

tmf

Well, I did rather well. He ordered chicken fajitas. I had two slices of his chicken. Drowned it in salsa and ate the quacamole.....the he left me alone with the chips.

After a few, It was not worth it.

I need another fill. It is obvious.

Thank you all for your comments and support. We had a good time. It is only one day, I am about to have a margarita. Just to Celebrate and then we are done. Extra time on the treadclimber tomorrow.