Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Pain

Hi everyone. Happy Friday.

Hopefuly everyone is well. Has any one ever experience port pain

(not stomach pain), but specific port pain while eating or drinking any thing ? My theory is that when we fill our pouches with any amount of liquid or food, if as the pouch becomes full, it puts pressure on the band and as that happens, the band pulls the string attached to the port. That's my theory. What do you guys think ? Does that happen to any of you ? Thank You.

I don't know about others but I had to get the upper GI after surgery and I turned to see the 'X-ray' screen and I had about 2-3 coils worth of slack on my tubing. I don't think any amount I eat would be able to pull and cause tension on that! :-)

Bare with me, OK? It has been a lengthy ordeal with my "pain" at the port. Would I do it again? Yes! I was able to stop both my blood pressure medication within 2 days of surgery. I was taking 100 units of insulin each day ($250 a month) and within two weeks I was down to 10 units at night and now I am off insulin and taking Metformin (a pill). I now spend only $65 on meds a month which is much better than spending almost $300 a month! More information in green at the end of the spreadsheet record/dates:

:) When I was waiting for my fill on Jan. 30th there was a lady that had the same port pain waiting for her fill. She said the she could not sleep on her side for over a year and then finally the pain stopped.

My regular doctor (GP) said that it could be that when they stitched the port into the muscle it severed a nerve or something. He said taking the Lapband out would not make any difference because the nerve would still need to heal.

I do think it is important to have the CT scans to make sure there are not other issues.

The pain patch really helps. I cut them in quarters and I wear them for 12 hours. I have reached a point that the pain is only bad if I have been bending down a great deal or straining. Yes, if I eat too much or eat after 5 p.m. the port area is sore .

I went for a fill today and found out that my port is causing some dull pain on and off. I thought it was my gall bladder, then appendicitis, but come to find out it's from my exercising (walking 2-4 miles a day), I'm working the muscles and since the port is attached to a muscle it can be an irritating kind of pain, but nothing severe, and she said it will probably go away eventually as I get strong (I originally just sat around on the couch and now walk every day). But if you experience severe, then it's time for some x-rays. I talked to both my PCP and Lapband nurse, so I'm confident I don't have a major issue. But if you suspect something is wrong, please ask your docs because things can happen.