Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 year out, and hit a plateau...

Hello, my name is Tamara. i was banded 2-21-12... so as of yesterday is has been 1 year. I have lost a total of 103 lbs so far! I am extremely happy with my weight loss so far, but for about 2 1/2 months I have been stuck at this weight. I recently joined a gym, I am hoping that will help. Anyone have similar stories after being around a year out? If so did the weight loss kick back in, or what did you do?

Plateus are common. We all have had them. Eventually you will start losing again.

Plateaus are a normal part of weight loss- even if they do suck. If you're burning more calories than you're consuming, the plateau will pass eventually on it's own.

Some people find mixing up their calories or exercise a way to "trick" their metabolism to get past a plateau. For instance, doing completely different exercises than you're used to, like cardio versus weight training. As far as calories, switching them up to shock your metabolism sometimes helps. Say you normally eat 1200 calories a day. Doing something like dropping down to 900 calories on day 1, then up to 1400 calories on day 2, back down to 800-900 day 3, up to 1300-1400 day 4, then back to your normal 1200 a day 5 and on.

But the reality is, metabolism shocking tricks or not, even if you do nothing eventually your plateau will eventually pass on it's own.

Best wishes to you.

Hello, my name is Tamara. i was banded 2-21-12... so as of yesterday is has been 1 year. I have lost a total of 103 lbs so far! I am extremely happy with my weight loss so far, but for about 2 1/2 months I have been stuck at this weight. I recently joined a gym, I am hoping that will help. Anyone have similar stories after being around a year out? If so did the weight loss kick back in, or what did you do?

Hi Tamara,

Congratulations on a successful weight loss, 103 lbs that is impressive work! As for the plateaus, yea it bums and it does happen to many of us, including me. I hit a plateau that lasted for almost 5 weeks. The only thing I can say that worked for me was to go back to my food tracker and see what I have been eating and if I needed to work on any of my nutrients. In fact, I found out my carb intake was too high! it was okay in the beginning of my journey when i was taking in about 110-125 grams per day, but since a big huge weight loss my body cannot break down the carbs like it was use to. So, I cut it more than in half and have been losing steadily since. (that was back in October of 2012).

I can only speak what works for me, that is tracking everything I eat, exercising daily, and making sure I was reaching my Protein intake of 60 grams or more per day.

Give your body time to adjust once you start exercising, this could be what you need to jumpstart your metabolism. Hang in there, this is the toughest part some time, its very frustrating to say the least...

Best wishes,

Congrats on an awesome job!

Holly,

You reached goal!!! OMG, congratulations I am just reading this and wanted to tell you what a wonderful job you have done! You look amazingly gorgeous and so toned/fit!

I'm going through the same think I a little over a year out I had surgery jan 4th 2012 and I've lost 85 lbs but I have been stuck here for a while its getting frustrating I'm going to the gym just need to step it up I guess. Good luck hope we both get out of this funk soon !!!!

Hi Tamara' date='

Congratulations on a successful weight loss, 103 lbs that is impressive work! As for the plateaus, yea it bums and it does happen to many of us, including me. I hit a plateau that lasted for almost 5 weeks. The only thing I can say that worked for me was to go back to my food tracker and see what I have been eating and if I needed to work on any of my nutrients. In fact, I found out my carb intake was too high! it was okay in the beginning of my journey when i was taking in about 110-125 grams per day, but since a big huge weight loss my body cannot break down the carbs like it was use to. So, I cut it more than in half and have been losing steadily since. (that was back in October of 2012).

I can only speak what works for me, that is tracking everything I eat, exercising daily, and making sure I was reaching my Protein intake of 60 grams or more per day.

Give your body time to adjust once you start exercising, this could be what you need to jumpstart your metabolism. Hang in there, this is the toughest part some time, its very frustrating to say the least...

Best wishes,[/quote']

How many carbs do you eat each day ?

That's fantastic progress!! Keep up the good work you will see a difference soon! We all hit those bumps!