Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

who here has been banded for at least 2 years and has had NO complications?

The thought of this scares me....I get this is no 'fad' diet and I am making that lifestyle change but I fear the weight will come back. Losing has always been easy for me but keeping it off is hard. I dropped 170+ pounds on my own once and then gained it all back plus an additional 90. I went from 393 to 219 back up to to 488 all just under a decade.

"Normal" scares the hell out me B

I never understood how one can gain the weight back, as long as the band is still there and not changed...it does not change size on it's own, unless of course it was never fully adjusted in the first place and I was not truthfully in the Green Zone......I really find it puzzling....

I cannot imagine how I would ever gain weight, with the way things are now....if I were to have issues resulting in a un-fill, then I could see how I would be able to eat more than I am now....that's the only way....otherwise it's a constant unchanging thing....

I have stayed the same weight, within 1-2 pounds for about 2 years now without counting calories or really even watching what I eat much. I think the key for me has been getting a tiny fill about once a year. I can feel when it's time and don't wait for a big weight gain before I go get that tiny "maintenance fill."

Of course it may not be that easy for everyone......I don't have hormone issues (hysterectomy at young age).

As far as things being back to normal...... it's is a new normal. Life in general is back to normal, but my eating will never be the way it was before the band. I have not eaten a full plate of food since July of 2009. This is my normal now.

sounds familiar....as of yet I have not needed a fill in about 20 months.....but that could change I guess, just not sure how....

3 yrs no major issues. Some unfills with pouch out of shape but band good. So far so good. ( fingers crossed)

I maintained easily with just the band's help for 3 years. Band started leaking, hunger came back, staying at a BMI of 23 became much harder. I hate having hunger after years of not feeling it. I hate having to count calories when I never had to before. I hate that I wonder if I'll ever find the green zone again.

But I do have some lessons that I learned from having the band that I'm grateful for, many of which have to do with good food choices, so it's not all bad news. But what I wouldn't give to be back at that point again where being in the green zone made staying at my stable weight so easy.

sounds familiar....as of yet I have not needed a fill in about 20 months.....but that could change I guess, just not sure how....

Some of the fill can disapate over time. It's not a leak. It's just osmosis or something and is normal as far as I've been told. I'm not sure how much of a role dehydration plays. I may notice the tiny change in fill level more as I rely on my band much more than exercise.

I never understood how one can gain the weight back, as long as the band is still there and not changed...it does not change size on it's own, unless of course it was never fully adjusted in the first place and I was not truthfully in the Green Zone......I really find it puzzling....

I cannot imagine how I would ever gain weight, with the way things are now....if I were to have issues resulting in a un-fill, then I could see how I would be able to eat more than I am now....that's the only way....otherwise it's a constant unchanging thing....

Hopefully it will be different this time. I have a good tool to work with.

The thought of this scares me....I get this is no 'fad' diet and I am making that lifestyle change but I fear the weight will come back. Losing has always been easy for me but keeping it off is hard. I dropped 170+ pounds on my own once and then gained it all back plus an additional 90. I went from 393 to 219 back up to to 488 all just under a decade.

"Normal" scares the hell out me B

For me when someone says life is back to normal I'm not scared because this is the new normal for me after living this lifestyle for 5 years what else would feel normal? So don't be afraid it's a lifestyle change that will become your new normal. :)

I would love to hear more success stories. I see/read more of the negative than the positive.

7 years this month and needing a revision. Surgery is in 2 days. Not sure if it's the old band or something is damaged inside. I will find out this Friday morning. Doc wants a decision from me if I want a new Realize band (if there are no issues) or to go unbanded. All the negative stories, and my own issues have me leaning very far to the latter.

2 years ago the band saved my life and i have had only success! They only thing I am challenged with is not losing weight and good meal ideas after trying to lose weight my entire life! I have been having unfills for the last month to get a balance and eat more :). Love my new life!

I am three years post op and I have had no complications. Just gallbladder surgery which is common for people who have excessive weight loss. Its only about 1 percent of people who actually have complications long term with the band.

Almost 3 years - no complications other than it did NOT cure my cookie obsession, LOL. Those little buggers still go down easy as anything! :)

I went 15 months without "complications". My history with the band is documented in my blog and visible to all. You can mess your band up by overeating, causing yourself to vomit, taking NSAIDs. You can fail to lose by eating around your band, eating slider foods, Cookies, chips crackers. BUT, and it's a very big BUT (no pun intended) you can do EVERYTHING right and still have complications and/or failure to lose. There are so many variables to the band equation (surgeons, PAs, individual anatomy, conditions, diseases, etc) that affect your ability to lose weight with the band and keep it off.

ID like to also point out that while posting about complications is regarded as some as "negative", "complaining" or "bashing", those of us who have done so are either looking for others who've had similar issues to help resolve our problems or to make newbies aware that these things can happen and help others recognize them early on to avoid much bigger problems. In no way is sharing ones experience honestly, intended to be a negative, complaining, bashing post by most people.

I want to add that the risk of complications is found at http://www.lapband.com/hcp/en/risk_information/

Patients can experience complications after surgery. Most complications are not serious but some may require hospitalization and/or re-operation. In the United States clinical study, with 3-year follow-up reported, 88% of the 299 patients had one or more adverse events, ranging from mild, moderate, to severe. Nausea and vomiting (51%), gastroesophageal reflux (regurgitation) (34%), band slippage/pouch dilatation (24%) and stoma obstruction (stomach-band outlet blockage) (14%) were the most common post-operative complications. In the study, 25% of the patients had their band systems removed, two-thirds of which were following adverse events. Esophageal dilatation or dysmotility (poor esophageal function) occurred in 11% of patients, the long-term effects of which are currently unknown. Constipation, diarrhea and dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) occurred in 9% of the patients. In 9% of the patients, a second surgery was needed to fix a problem with the band or initial surgery. In 9% of the patients, there was an additional procedure to fix a leaking or twisted access port. The access port design has been improved. Four out of 299 patients (1.3%) had their bands erode into their stomachs. These bands needed to be removed in a second operation. Surgical techniques have evolved to reduce slippage. Surgeons with more laparoscopic experience and more experience with these procedures report fewer complications.

I was banded March 2009 --- no real complications here....just an unfill once when I was sick...a small bump in the road, really. I agree most folks have moved on -- I don't get on here very often either!