Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Happy Bandsters Out There With 5 or More Years Of Banding?

Hi All!

7 years of being banded myself. I wanted to hear from the really long timers (if your on this board) and your story. How are you doing? :) I have to make a decision about a revision to a new band this week, and not sure about.

Just wondering how successful people have been, if they have their bands, how many surgeries or issues they have had, etc. etc.

Hi NeenBand,

I'm banded 6 years ago today. I am really happy I got the band. I just posted my story on March 2007 forum.

I've had my difficulties but I believe many of them are due to me not following direction (ie. chew slowly, small bites, etc)

I recently investigated switching to the sleeve but my doctor advises to stay with my band. I only have to lose the 10 lbs I recently gained.

We are finding things out about the band that we didn't know initially but the sleeve is even newer then the band and we don't know what the issues will be in that surgery.

So I'm staying with band. I know I need something to keep my weight off.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.

I don't mean to butt in this conversation since I'm kind of new, I'm 9 mos post op and down 62 lbs. Would love some words of advice, encouragement and also what do you eat on a daily basis and how much? I was actually able to eat a small half sandwich today with a roll instead of bread with turkey on it, surprised me and didn't get stuck. I read on here the other night that someone suggested saying the ABC's with every chew and that's what I did and took extremely tiny bites which I'm still learning, I know, don't chastize me, but today went well with the sandwich for lunch. I'm getting tired of the same things to eat on a daily basis, need some suggestions??? What all do you guys eat? How have you lost the weight? Did you exercise at first? I'm just now introducing walking. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Donna

Donna only banded 3 yrs. If you can eat a sandwich that is ok but don't expect that to be they way all the time.

There are many websites that have band friendly recipes. I do not know what you like or what you have tried.

Like quinoa, thighs, chili etc. I find i can eat most things if i follow the rules except Pasta, rice and most breads,

This is the rest of your life so you should be able to enjoy it.

i eat a lot of chili, fish or chicken. I exercise and last year i took up biking.

good luck .

Wendy

Thanks Wendy for your suggestions and your wonderful insight. I usually can't eat bread but for some reason this roll was airy if that makes sense and I put some turkey and cheese on it with a little lite mayo and took tiny bites and chewed the heck out of it and it went ok with me. I had a fill this past week so I was almost scared to do it but I did. I don't do Pasta, rice or bread either. I eat a lot of fish, salmon well thats fish, duh, chicken, chicken salad, tuna salad, low fat cheese quesadilla grilled in a non stick skillet sprayed with pam. I live in Western Kentucky and I live with my 74 yr old mom so when we go out we end up sharing a meal and that will consist of some kind of grilled fish unless we go to a Cracker Barrel then I will get a bowl of Beans or a bowl of beef stew. That's about it for me with the exception of veggies and fruits and greek yogurt. I can't bring myself to eat ground beef, don't want to run into a gristle, ew. Early on I ate a burrito from Taco Bell, which I love or did until I ran into a gristle and it grossed me out so since Aug I haven't been able to stomach ground meat of any kind. Oh and I do make a good crock pot of chicken taco Soup, that keeps me going but just was looking for variety. What are some of the websites you are talking about?

Thanks

Donna

it was a post last week with band friendly recipe sites. if i find it i will try to copy and paste

In a few more days, 6/2, I will have had my band for 5 years. Am I a happy veteran??? Not right now. I have gained back most of what I lost. Totally my fault, I just let it slide and those old habits came back. BUT....I have decided to start over. I will be in here a lot for support and will start using daily plate to keep track of what I eat. Part of my problem is that I had no real support. I live alone, and tend to be a loner. My kids are supportive and get on me if they see me eating something I shouldn't be. I don't have a support group in my area. In fact, I haven't been able to find any other bandsters anywhere near me (southeast Iowa).

Today is a new day. I am going to make this work.

In a few more days' date=' 6/2, I will have had my band for 5 years. Am I a happy veteran??? Not right now. I have gained back most of what I lost. Totally my fault, I just let it slide and those old habits came back. BUT....I have decided to start over. I will be in here a lot for support and will start using daily plate to keep track of what I eat. Part of my problem is that I had no real support. I live alone, and tend to be a loner. My kids are supportive and get on me if they see me eating something I shouldn't be. I don't have a support group in my area. In fact, I haven't been able to find any other bandsters anywhere near me (southeast Iowa).

Today is a new day. I am going to make this work.[/quote']

I'm wishing you much success on your do over. I am such a slow loser and I do keep track of my calories with my fitness pal ap. It has helped me tremendously because there are certain foods that shocked me. I go to a business meeting every Tuesday at Red Lobster. Well, aside from ordering my lunch I was eating at least two cheddar bay biscuits with my meal, sometime three! Well, each one of those delicious biscuits are 150 calories each. Now with lunch I'll usually order a fit and fare menu item like a salad with chicken and vinegarette dressing. I log everything now. I don't excersise too much due to my disability. I hope I'll be able to exercise more as the weight drops off. It is so frustrating though to see you weigh the same as a month ago. The fact that I haven't gained is a NSV. Yay! I wish I could lose 2 lbs a week. Oh well.

Wishing you well!

I've had my band for 9.5 years and next month will be revising to sleeve.

I am so sad when people blame themselves for the band's faults.

It isn't your fault that you gained weight back. The band does not work long term, and unfortunately, those of us out this far know that there is nothing that most people could have done to change the way it works.

Megan

sorry but to gain weight, one must eat more calories then one burns off band or no band...sleeve or bypass

every person with a weight problem eats too much and the wrong things aka unhealthy choices

the band does work

not with everyone as things do happen...

bands fault.....patients fault or a combo of both

or a crap doctor or whatever reason

all anyone can do is make the best of whatever WLS one chooses to get

Well said carolinagirl! 9.5 years before she decided to change, means it worked for her for 9 years. If she was a yoyo weight person, like me, she would be real happy that it worked for that long! I am happy with my band, because it doesn't allow me to over eat. I can eat the wrong things, but that is not the bands fault! Karen

And if you read posts in other forums and sites you may discover that sleeves and bypasses don't work in the long term either, at least not all by themselves.

If they did then we wouldn't get posts from people asking if it was possible to put a band over a sleeve and we all know that there are many with a band over their bypass.

I credit my band with helping me lose, but I did the bulk of the work to lose. I will not discredit by band for my gain, coz it doesn't choose what I put into my mouth.

You think it's sad that people take responsibility for not following the band rules and gaining? Who else is responsible if not them? I'm more saddened that anyone thinks that nothing that happens to them with regards to their weight is their responsibility. Maybe that's the difference here, and I'm glad that I don't think that way.

Anyway, back to the topic, I'm 5 years banded now, did spring a leak about 18 monthsw ago, had 2 port replacements and 1 band replacement to finally resolve it. I gained 35lbs in 10 months when the band wasn't working and I lost about 40% of it when I realised how much I'd strayed from my initial goals. I then got rebanded. The reasons for chosing a band over sleeve are in this post: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/topic/165592-full-band-replacement-experiences-sought/

I won't say that initially it was an easy decision to make, which way to go in terms of revision. But when I talked it out with my physican and my family, it then became a no brainer. The band gave me a great, easy 5 years and if I get another easy 5 years out of it, I'd be grateful. If it lasts longer, than yay for me! It worked the first time and is working just as well this time for me. So I am absolutely sure I made the right decision.

Almost six year this September with the Band.

For me any weight gain has been my fault the band has always helped me at meal times with the quantity.

When I have gained weight has been eating after nine at night. Another problem was snacking to much during the day. I also stopped exercising. So naturally I gained weight none of this has been the bands fault.

On January 1, 2013 I had made my way back to 250 and have recommitted myself to go back on the journey.

I try to go to bed by nine at night. I limit my snacking during the day and I restarted my exercise program. My exercise of choice is resistant band training and walking.

The band has helped in that I no longer take metformin, no longer have sleep apnea, no longer have to take pain medicine for knee and back pain.

In any case I love my Band and all the NSV,s that come with it.

Almost six year this September with the Band.

For me any weight gain has been my fault the band has always helped me at meal times with the quantity.

When I have gained weight has been eating after nine at night. Another problem was snacking to much during the day. I also stopped exercising. So naturally I gained weight none of this has been the bands fault.

On January 1' date=' 2012 I had made my way back to 250 and have recommitted myself to go back on the journey.

I try to go to bed by nine at night. I limit my snacking during the day and I restarted my exercise program. My exercise of choice is resistant band training and walking.

The band has helped in that I no longer take metformin, no longer have sleep apnea, no longer have to take pain medicine for knee and back pain.

In any case I love my Band and all the NSV that come with it.[/quote']

Welcome back. With that kind of attitude you will be well on your way to success again. :)