Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you tell you family/friends?

I'm not telling the whole world at this time but I have shared this journey with my hubby of course, my mom, sister, best friend, and a couple of friends from work.

Hello everyone' date=' I am wanting to keep my surgery on a real "need to know" basis. Has anyone else kept this a secret? What did you say you went into surgery for? Need help on what I can say that would be believable. Alot of people in my life are very against the idea of a lapband. They are also size 8 and never had to work out or diet in thier lives. Thanks![/quote']

I only told some people. If the others ask I will say I watch what I eat and exercise. I have now decided I am not telling anyone other than my husband how much I have lost. I am very embarrassed by how much I weighed. I am proud of my loss but I can no longer share numbers Good luck.

I am reading this topic to see what alternatives I can tell people about rather than the surgery itself. I'm not ashamed, but I KNOW that there are people who would judge me. I am telling my husband and two friends, and my dad... that is it. This will be very hard for me as I am not a secretive person.... I am generally very open about my life and my feelings... but I feel there is a lot at stake here as I live in a small town... and I don't feel like it is anyone's business.

It seems like a good explanation is a hernia operation - so I'm thinking I might say that. I wish there didn't have to be such secrecy around this, but from what others have said as well, I feel like it is the best option.

all the best to everyone :)

thats what i said too i told everyone i was having a hernia repair but when they started seeing i was loosing weight they started asking questions but i didnt budge i dont want them to judge me lol that rhymes :) best of luck

I think I will use the hernia excuse to for work. Will need to research it a bit more before though as I have no idea what it is or why I would have it haha

lol its a a lil hard to explaine but i understand what youre saying i had to explaine it to friends and family i too also had to research it lol :)

Haha yeh I sorta planted the seed at work today and said I may have to get survey for a hernia and they started asking more questions. Just made stuff up haha

Thanks so much everyone for your stories! For the people who have decided to tell the "truth" that awesome and that's your decision. But I have decided this is my journey, and I'm not going to be judged by people who don't understand what it's like to be me. I workout every day. Have done every diet, play netball several times a week. I'm not taken the "easy way out" as a lot of people will think. I'm making a decision to change my life. For me the hardest part about this is going to be having to stop exercise! You are all such strong people! I am booked in for my first consult with the surgeon next week. Excited and nervous! How long after you began the process did u actually have your surgery?

This is exactly how I feel. I may not work out everyday, but I do work out, and I dont eat a ton of crap and I have been to weight watchers, I have had weight loss doctors and nothing worked. I am very much looking forward to having a new tool to help me.

I told my dad and 1 friend. I don't want anyone knowing. At work they think I had gallbladder surgery!

I have told my husband and kids, of course, my parents, two friends, and my boss. That's it. I have not told my in-laws, siblings, or anyone else. I may decide to tell them later, I may not, but I am pretty sure I will not be telling anyone else at all until after my surgery.

I HAVE BEEN VERY PROD OF MY BAND AND MY DR IVE TOLD EVERY ONE IF THEY DONT HAVE ANY THING GOOD TO SAY I DONT REALLY CARE BUT MY JOB IS THE KIND THAT I HAD TO TAKE 2 WEEKS OFF AND HAD MEDICAL SLIP SO PEOPLE AT WORK NEW I REALLY DONT CARE I DID THIS FOR ME NO ONE ELSE SO THE HECK WITH ALL THE BAD NEG ATIVE THINGS AND PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO IDEA THAT THIS IS A VERY HARD THING TO DO MY FAMILY HAS BEEN GREAT HUBBY AND DAUGHTER SHES A NURSE AND SON ALL HAVE JUST BEEN SO GREAT DOWN 45 LBS OTHER DAY AT WORK SOME ONE SAID I JUST DONT SEE THE WEIGHT LOSS AND I SAID WHO CARES I DIDNT DO IT FOR YOU HAHAHAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love what you said, I didn't do it for you. Great line.

im still trying to figure out now cause they see im loosing weight and there not believing the hernia story anymore lol but im not telling

Tell them you have to lose the weight & change your diet to prevent the hernia from coming back, that is what I think I am going to say if anyone asks. Afterall they can be caused frombeing overweight.

im still trying to figure out now cause they see im loosing weight and there not believing the hernia story anymore lol but im not telling

Big deal if they don't believe you

You don't owe them anything. Health is a very private and confidential topic