Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All -

Since so many of us are on the pre-op step (or soon will be) I thought it might be nice to share what shakes you've tried, what has been tasty and which brands are just blech!

I've been doing pre-op since Jan. because I thought my surgery was going to happen a lot sooner than March.

My two favorites are

1. Premier Protein shakes (comes in vanilla or chocolate, I get it at costco so it's affordable)

2. Pure Protein in the can (it's a little more expensive, I get it at Trader Joe's)

I also make my own in the blender with protein mix and usually a scoop of flavored non-fat Greek yogurt to help cut the chalky taste.

Any others that you guys have tried??

I love slimfast high Protein chocolate flavor. I mix a lot of ice in and it tastes like melted ice cream! I tried muscle milk which I hated. I just can't imagine having 5-6 a day though, for 2 weeks!

@Cheznoel what flavors do you like the best? I just ordered the strawberry, chocholate and chicken flavored... :unsure:

For ones i don't have to make my self i got the Atkins advantage ones, the chocolate, vanilla, mocha were very good, i didn't like the strawberry though. For ones i make at home, my nutritionist told me to keep them around 200 calories. So i got 2 bags of whey Protein Powder at costco called Cytosport one each vanilla and chocolate. The vanilla yummy, it has 140 cals per serving. I mix it with a cup of sugar free almond milk it has 30 to 40 cals depending on which brand u get. Then i bought all kinds of frozen berries, Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches and a mix berries at Walmart. For 1 hole cup of any of those berries its about 70 cals. So i mixed 1/4 cup of which ever with my Protein and almond milk. Really good, im telling you the berries take away the protien flavor wonderfully! :) I also found a sugar free oregon trail chai tea liquid at walmart that i put 1 cup of (0 cals) with 1 cup of sf almond milk. That was my fav!

The chocolate wasnt all that good, i suppose i didnt find the right things to mix with it. But i still tried using it up, Its expensive!!!

So far the True Results shakes have been pretty good.

Also i wasnt completely aware that i should pay attention to the amount of Protein in the powders!! The Cytosport is very high protien, i believe about 25 grams per serving!

Jay Robb is awesome! I use the vanilla... today I put 1/2 of scoop in my cream of wheat Cereal made with Water and 1/3 cup of skim milk. I added Splenda brown sugar 1/2 tsp. Talk about delicious!!! I was so proud of myself that I turned cream of wheat into a Protein breakfast!

My other favorite Protein Drink is Spiretein. I use the strawberry and banana flavor for a strawberry banana smoothy.

1/2 scoop of strawberry and 1/2 scoop of banana

16 oz Water

1/2 scoop of Jay robb vanilla (awesome for sweetness)

3 small fresh strawberries frozen would work too.

c1/2 cup of ice cubes

blend at high speed!

What a delicious treat... and about 26-30 grams of protein! Love it!!!!

Jay Robb is awesome! I use the vanilla... today I put 1/2 of scoop in my cream of wheat Cereal made with Water and 1/3 cup of skim milk. I added Splenda brown sugar 1/2 tsp. Talk about delicious!!! I was so proud of myself that I turned cream of wheat into a Protein breakfast!

My other favorite Protein Drink is Spiretein. I use the strawberry and banana flavor for a strawberry banana smoothy.

1/2 scoop of strawberry and 1/2 scoop of banana

16 oz Water

1/2 scoop of Jay robb vanilla (awesome for sweetness)

3 small fresh strawberries frozen would work too.

c1/2 cup of ice cubes

blend at high speed!

What a delicious treat... and about 26-30 grams of protein! Love it!!!!

Yummm sounds delicious .. I will have to try it

Made the most delicious green smoothie to Celebrate St. Patrick's Day (since I'm still on post-op liquid only!)

1/2 c. Water

1/2 c. peeled & chopped cucumber

3 stalks of kale (pull leaves off the stem)

1/2 c. frozen strawberries (or any other berry)

1/2 frozen banana

Put it in a blender, add a little Water if it gets too thick! Without adding Protein powder, this recipe makes a 100 cal smoothie with healthy greens! If you add Protein to this recipe, I recommend 1/2 a scoop or it'll get gross.

So far the True Results shakes have been pretty good.

I agree true results are awesome I add 1 tsp of vanilla extract to 8oz an today I tried chocolate with Peanut Butter taste like a Reese's was very good an a lot of Protein

Is there a reason why people use almond milk over skim milk, or is it just a personal choice?

Is there a reason why people use almond milk over skim milk, or is it just a personal choice?

more Protein, it's a "healthier" fat and adds additional flavor are the reasons why i use it

I simply just like the taste better, it has less carbs then regular milk, if u get the unsweetened. And only 30 to 40 cals for a whole cup. The one i get has a vanilla flavor already added. I just like it! Some people might use instead of milk if the have an allergy to milk to though.