Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Prep for Colonoscopy

I was banded in June 2010 and have not let carbonated beverages pass my lips since. But now I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy on Monday and just noticed that the Magnesium Citrate is "sparkling".... is it carbonated? Can I drink it? I have to drink 3 of them!

Has anyone else with a ban had colonoscopy?

The risk with carbonated drinks for bandsters is the potential to stretch your pouch. One off (three drinks) for a colonoscopy should be fine but you could always phone your medical team and check.

Good luck.

my prep was Miralax with Gatorade. No carbonation. Much nicer prep than others I've done in the past.

I use Mag Cit now to get me moving along ever so often but don't drink but a tiny bit. I so don't look forward to my colonoscopy this coming December, with that said, my Lap Band surgeon is also general surgeon and he will be performing my colonoscopy so he will know what to do in my case for prep. They are checking me for cancer, I have to have one every 3 years and I just had my band 7 1/2 mos ago so hopefully all goes well with you and me. Good luck.

If anyone else has this problem the answer is: Miralax, but you have to drink a gallon if it. It took me a lot of time and transfers to get the answer... I was switched from office to office but finally just asked for Kimm and got my answer. Hope the snow lets up so I can run out and buy my Miralax.

It was the small bottle of miralax split between 2 32 oz Gatorade bottles. Much kinder than some others I've used

I will keep that in mind as the mag citrate is nasty, yuck. good luck

I will keep that in mind as the mag citrate is nasty, yuck. good luck

And for me, it burns on the way out! :wacko:

I hope this Miralx keeps it from stinging. I'm also going to go on liquids tomorrow (same as when I get a fill) and Sunday Clear Liquids so maybe that will help with the awful part. The colonoscopy itself is easy, it's the darned prep. Good thing I happened to notice the Mag cit said "sparkling" and then I shook it and saw bubbles and I thought...uh oh. I can save it for Hubby who is do in the fall for his.

I'll come back and let you all know how it goes. I have to have it every 3 yrs because last time they removed a big polyp.

I hope this Miralx keeps it from stinging. I'm also going to go on liquids tomorrow (same as when I get a fill) and Sunday Clear Liquids so maybe that will help with the awful part. The colonoscopy itself is easy, it's the darned prep. Good thing I happened to notice the Mag cit said "sparkling" and then I shook it and saw bubbles and I thought...uh oh. I can save it for Hubby who is do in the fall for his.

I'll come back and let you all know how it goes. I have to have it every 3 yrs because last time they removed a big polyp.

I'm every 3 yrs also cause my brother is battling colon cancer right now and the kind he has is heredetery (did I spell that right, oh well) anyway, his dr wanted me tested 3 yrs ago and said for me to have one every 3 yrs so my time is coming up Dec '13. Yes the prep is worse the colonoscopy.

Just had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago. Definitely the prep is the hardest part. Just thinking about drinking that crap makes me gag! I had a double bonus by having a total hysterectomy a week after my colonoscopy! Good luck Barbie with your colonoscopy, I will be praying for positive results.....Donna, so sorry to hear about your brother, will send prayers his way as well!

laurigee thank you so much for the prayers. He had chemo this past Wed so he's pretty sick right now, it makes him sick every time. I wish I could take it away from him but it's in God's hands.