Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise for Haters?

I hate it.

And I don't mean "hehehe - I don't wanna go to the gym"

I mean: I.Hate.It.

The only way I like it is when I "fool" myself by going bowling or skating....but I am 41 years old have no business going to open-skate with the 10 year olds.

Any ideas?

Magic wands?

What about dancing? Whether at home, a club, or class? House cleaning? Gardening? Shoveling snow? Walking around the store/mall if you like to window shop? Swimming? Those are a few things I do to keep me on my feet. Exercise, unfortunately, isn't my favorite thing either.

I hate exercise for the sake of exercise too. The idea of sitting on an exercise bike in the lounge or in a gym is brain dead boring and there's no way I can push myself beyond the comfort level doing that.

But......then I discovered there were activities that I enjoyed and the more I did them the more I enjoyed them and the more exercise I got. I love to go dancing with my husband - there's nothing like 1950s style rock n roll to really get the arms and legs moving and the heart pumping. And the more I dance, the more other guys in our group ask me to dance and the more exercise I get.

I love to go walking with my husband because that's when we have some of our best talks.

I love to go cycling with my husband and friends and we push each other to go further, longer, faster.

And now that I have an underwater MP3 player, I really find swimming to be very relaxing and I am doing longer distances and times.

So, look for activities that you enjoy and make them a normal part of your daily life. The exercise becomes incidental and enjoyable.

Luu,

Honesty - unvarnished and direct ... Awesome! So keeping in that vein my suggestion is:

GET OVER IT! You don't have to Like it you just have to Do it ; )

I recently saw this Tee online and was reminded of it when I read your post

post-203934-13813134723429_thumb.jpg

But really ... I suggest you do group fitness like - Yoga, Zumba, Bootcamp, LA Boxing, Spin etc.. It still sucks but the feeling of accomplishment is great and the added accountability and new friendships is a bonus : )

Good luck - stay "real" I love it !

Lee

post-342872-13813141093414_thumb.jpg

Luuluu i hear ya! I dont like excersise i dont like sweating (its so grose). But personally Ive always liked walking (at a fast pace). But when its 5degrees out (literally) i am not going out to walk.

Then a wonderful thing happened my teenage sons got a new game for the XBox 360. Its Dance Central 3. I love it. I either do it with them or on my own :)

Also I have FMS with other aliments so i stretch daily with yoga for beginners. Its relaxing stretches out the muscles an limbers me up for the day.

I love Leslie Sansone Walk away the Pounds!! It gets your heart rate up and keeps you moving but nothing too crazy!

You know what I found when I started to workout 4 years ago? The more I did it the more liked it! The fitter I got the faster I ran and I felt proud! That feeling I can carry with me though the week. Start slow and commit to say three sessions a week and build from there you will hate it and moan and complain and hurt but just keep it up and every month add a session it does get easier and more fun. I just came back from a gym session where I ran, spinned and did yoga and I feel AMAZING! When I first started I was so embarrassed to be the youngest in the room but the fattest AND the slowest. It gets better :)

I just walk.......get out there (with my hub and Dobermans) and just walk...after not being able to for 1 to 2 yrs, its wonderful to get out and be outside and walking...

I'm another lover of Dance Central! I love to dance and I get caught up in trying to beat my previous score. Time flies with it.

You may hate it now...but once the REWARDS start happening, you won't be able to get enough of it!

I live for those endorphins .......

I used to be embarrassed.....tried to stay low key.....

But now...(and excuse me, I'm just a harmless dirty old man)....but I love running on the treadmill with a young Bunny on either side, and me keeping up!

Talk about motivation!

I hate exercise, too. I just joined a gym in my area that has a cardio theater -- basically I get to work out in the dark while watching a movie on the big screen. It's pretty awesome, I've been able to walk 60 minutes without hardly checking the time (well, I checked every 3 minutes or so as opposed to watching the seconds slowly tick by).

Before surgery, I did Water aerobics with old people at the community pool, which was actually low impact and fun.

Are you goal driven? If so, what about training for a 5k or cycling marathon. When I was more normal sized about 7 years ago, although totally out of shape, I had a "friend" tell me that there was no way I could do a 200 mile 1-2 day cycling marathon. So I bought a bike, trained for 3 months, and finished the Seattle to Portland STP just to prove I could do it.

Thanks everyone!

And the post calling my style "unvarnished" made me laugh! Lots of words have been used (complimentary and not) ....but this is the first I've gotten "unvarnished".

That's a keeper! :)