Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Menopause hinder weight loss?

I had to have an emergency hysterectomy a few years ago, not too long ago and I feel I'm still going thru menopause, it thru me right into it immediately. I take hormone replacement therapy (patch) to control hot flashes and night sweats. Does this play a role in weight loss? Just curious.

Yes, it slows down your metabolism and makes it much harder to loose. That's why I went with LBS.

thanks, I was just wondering, because my weight loss is slower than what I think it should be and yes I'm comparing to others on here and I shouldn't. I'm 7 and half months post op and I think I should be down 60 to 70 lbs but I'm only down 54 lbs. I eat only a cup of food 3 times a day, and if I snack and that is not very often, it will be greek yogurt, or a low fat string cheese. The only thing I can think of is I haven't been able to introduce exercising into my journey yet. I'm not able to walk on a treadmill etc. I did buy a exercise ball that I can do crunches on and bands to upper body but to really get a workout, no I cannot do that yet due to some health problems I'm battling now. I've got an infection on a cuticle on a toe due to a pedi and I can't wear tennis shoes, grrr. Looks like I will lose that nail in a week and half which will be even more sore and longer recovery. Thanks maddysgram.

Yes definitely. I was thrown into early menopause by pelvic radiation. Now that was followed by sme pretty awful surgery and chemo, got to the point I was 25lb underweight. I've put that back on at an alarming rate but am hanging on by the skin of my teeth not to gain more! And no matter what I do I cannot lose a few pounds.

I get extremely upset and frustrated but when I put it in perspective all my peri menopausal friends (I'm 45 now) have gotten decidedly fat and I'm still a BMI of 22, so it's not took bad but I enjoyed the experience of being model thin and didn't want to regain it all, just half maybe.

although I'm very proud of my 54 lbs gone and gone forever I might add, I'm discouraged when I see on here posters that have lost 40 and 50 plus pounds in 3 mos or 2 mos or 4 mos, it just tugs at my heart and discourages me.

I thought I was over hot flashes, but the LBS threw me back into them, but not as bad as they were.

Sorry for all the problems you two have had.

Just last Wednesday I had to have my port revised (flipped) but nothing major like you two.

Good luck!

did you feel it flip or how did you know? Oh my goodness, wow. Hope you're doing fine now.

although I'm very proud of my 54 lbs gone and gone forever I might add, I'm discouraged when I see on here posters that have lost 40 and 50 plus pounds in 3 mos or 2 mos or 4 mos, it just tugs at my heart and discourages me.

Everyone is totally different so try not to compare yourself with anyone. As long as the scale is going down, its all good.

thanks maddysgram, I know I shouldn't compare, I will try not to. I promise!

did you feel it flip or how did you know? Oh my goodness, wow. Hope you're doing fine now.

Had no idea that it had flipped. Went for 2nd fill and after 10 pokes, sent me for fluro and it was flipped completely over.

He was really upset b/c with it stitched down it should not have done that. He wasn't mad at me, he was mad at himself.

I see him for follow up tomorrow so maybe he can tell me more, like did all the stitches go or what.

interesting that the surgery started the hot flashes again I couldn't figure it out...it gone now for the most part once in a great while I get one. Water weight is always a problem but I keep working on everything and I feel so much better as a person...boy was this the greatest idea I love my band even with the stuck issues...

interesting that the surgery started the hot flashes again I couldn't figure it out...it gone now for the most part once in a great while I get one. Water weight is always a problem but I keep working on everything and I feel so much better as a person...boy was this the greatest idea I love my band even with the stuck issues...

The water weight is a big issue. There are days when my band is very tight and I can hardly eat, two small meals and then there's days when I can't get satisfied to save my life and I think it is all Fluid related.

Makes me worry about fills. I can take normal size bites of food, but I chew it up really well and never(knock on wood) been stuck. I can eat pretty much anything that I want, not that I do, but could. I practiced small bites for 8mths but as time goes by without restriction, I have gotten lazy. So I'm sure I need a fill, but what happens on those tight days, I'll be starting my meals at 4pm,lol

Ah the joys of getting older!