Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrations with band

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some advice. I was banded on 9/20/12. In two months I lost 30 lbs. Since then--around December I haven't lost anything, they wouldn't fill me last time because I had a head cold. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow And will voice my frustrations.

Essentially what I feel is happening is that after a fill I'm good for about a week or so and feeling full during meals. After that though, I feel like my body is adjusting to more food and I just continue to eat because I'm not full. I have been making all sorts of low fat & low cal food (so many new cookbooks) so I know I'm trying. I just don't want to feel like I'm a failure and I did this for nothing.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have suggestions on what to do?

Thanks for listening :)

I've been wondering the same thing - I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say about this.

Hi, I have had the same frustrations and have voiced them to my doctor. I understand exactly what you're going through. After each adjustment I feel the effects of it for about a week, then I tend to get hungry sooner, and can eat more than I could before. My doctor say's with mine it's because I have a larger band and they are having me come in every two weeks for another adjustment. I'm still trying to get to the "green zone" as they call it...I'm there for a week and then it's back to the "yellow zone". I've been reassured at my adjustments that this is normal in the beginning until they get me to the green zone stage. I'm trying to remain hopeful. Good luck.

This is normal for most of us its not you not tring it the band is not full enough for ypur green spot... it took 3 fills for me to get me there and now- its so good. I have a 10cc band with 6.5 cc in it. its normal for you to think it should be working at its best right away but it take time to find what the limit is for you..my doctor would fill every 2 wks after the first one so keep going until you feel great at eating one cup of food for 4-5hours u will do it hang in there

You'll be in "bandster hell" until you get the fill that gives you enough restriction for the band to work it's magic. That may be 1 fill or 6. No one knows. Till then, like our esteemed forum member B-52 says,

"Until there's restriction...It's just another diet"

tmf

Agreed, for now this is a diet. Bring able to eat more than 3 oz of Protein and some low cal veggies doesn't mean you should. If you don't measure protein you will eat too much. And that 3 oz by weight not volume. Took me more than 6 months to get restriction.

Agreed, for now this is a diet. Bring able to eat more than 3 oz of Protein and some low cal veggies doesn't mean you should. If you don't measure protein you will eat too much. And that 3 oz by weight not volume. Took me more than 6 months to get restriction.

Frustration? After my first fill I GAINED weight....I felt this was all a big waste of time and effort........2nd fill was 50-50,

3rd was a charm....

But don't worry...it does work....like 2muchfun said it is called "Bandster Hell"

That time period between surgery and finally getting the band adjusted to you comfort level....

Hey bandster buddies: Has anyone tried "you tube" it'ss a great source for advice and there are so many of us banders on you tube! Me under Annnette Corrado and others such as banded wendy and skymoon1984. you tube has a very large WL community on you tube and I love it. I was banded on September 20, 2013 and I have lost 30 pounds and we all have different bodies so we loose our body fat differently, As long as your following the rules and try a accountable journal and write down your feelings-exercise and calories and Proteins and Snacks "I am honest in my journal" so that means when I don't get the number at the end of the week-I know why it's in my journal! I have been hungry since last January-I exercise 6 days a week and count Protein and calories now and that seems to help me alot. I will reach my goal this year in 2013. Be strong and fight this it our life of wellness. Good luck!

PS I have had 4 fills- I am at 9.5 in a 11 cc realize lapand.

Suggestion... ask to have a fill using flouroscope. That way your Dr can SEE your restriction, instead of guessing. It may help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Normal_barium_swallow_animation.gif

Just curious to those that are frustrated, what type of foods are y'all eating? Not trying to b judgmental. I have been eating mostly Protein n usually last about 3-4 hours n eat bout 3-4 Times a day. I just got my first fill yesterday n NOT sure how this will work for me but so far I've eaten twice today n I'm not hungry at the moment (6:30 pm right now) if the choices are not mostly protein I have, then I get hungry fast so I'm always having it unless I have a special craving :)

I understand your frustration, but I pretty much expected it to be this way for me, for a while. I really did a LOT of reading before I was banded, so that I did not go into this with unrealistic expectations. I'm glad I did, because I sure have not reached my green zone and it has been almost a year! BUT....don't let that discourage you. I just was getting there, I think, after my 4th fill, but then I started having problems, off and on, not being able to eat much of anything without that dreaded shoulder pain and having to puke to feel better....just to finally find out that my band had slipped. So...I was totally emptied out and had to wait 6 weeks, then my fills started again. Then there was a month or two I could not get back in to be seen for a fill. My last fill, in November, proved to be too much so I had to go back and get some taken out. He chose not give me a fill in December since I had lost a little, and it seems I'm sensitive to the amount given. I go this month for one.

I have noticed that I can eat way more than I should be eating. And even though I am trying to eat healthy, it's still more than you would think a banded person could eat. But on the other hand, I have to say that I sure can't eat as much as I once could. If I eat too much, I get an achy feeling where my port is.

Hang in there. It will get better.

To LBT, I eat a high protien diet. I do my Protein Shakes as required by my doctor and I eat my Protein first, I typically don't get but a bite or two of a veggie. I would typically do my Protein Shake for Breakfast, so now my doctor wants me to eat 1 soft scrambled egg in the morning as well to try and sustain me longer...the liquid Proteins do not sustain you as the solid's do. Everyone's body is different and responds differently.

I was banded 2 years ago and my initial fill was fantastic. I never felt hungry, ate moderately, and lost 40 pounds almost effortlessly. When I went to get adjusted, we just couldn't find that sweet spot again (I see some folks calling it the green spot here). Since 18 months ago, it's been miserable. I'm either throwing up coffee first thing in the morning, can't eat anything solid until 1pm while being hungry in the meantime, then end up eating crap I didn't even eat before the surgery--ice cream, mashed potatoes, chips, cookies--all that crap goes down easily. I'm so frustrated and feel like an epic failure. I'm considering trying again with the fills,but I'm at my wit's end right now. I'm disgusted that I spent so much money and did something so drastic as having surgery to be failing now. I asked a person who had great success with the surgery if she had challenges and she said she just kept the band as tight as she could stand it and lost 100 pounds in 9 months. She's never had a problem with it. So, what's my problem? I'm so disappointed and pissed off.