Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Calorie intake Is it healthy??

So when I'm reading all of these posts about daily food/calorie intake I keep noticing people saying they consume between 500-1200 a day. Is it really healthy to consume such few calories? Wouldn't you feel weak or dizzy a lot if you are under 1000? I have seen several people in the 7-800 range.

How many and what kind of Vitamins do you have to take to make up for this low amount of food intake?

I was told 1200-1400 once banded

my doctor says three 4 oz meals- and to not pay attention to the calories, just make sure that I get 90grams of preotein and 100oz Water but I try to stay around 1200. I do know that if you do not eat enough calories you body can go into starvation mode and hold onto fat insead of buring it.

Thanks for the replies! 1200 doesn't sound bad, but when I read the lower #'s in the past I was a little shocked.

By the way Missy I saw your before and after pictures and WOW... Doesn't even look like the same person. Congrats on all of your success! Your hard work is paying off and thanks for not being afraid to show the pictures! I am fairly new to this site and look forward to reading your posts when I check in. Awesome job!

Many people feel fine but you'd better be eating very high quality calories because even 1200 will catch up ith you after a few years - Iron, Calcium, B12 can ake a long long time to deplete and you won't even notice till you're deficient.

Loosing weight...burning fat...is all about burning more calories than you consume...so the more you consume the more you must burn....for REAL weight loss..

I think the thing is this is a trade off we have all chosen. Once you've lost the weight, you will always have to undereat to some degree to keep it off - so supplementing is important for WLS patients. By the same token, many overweight people eat nothing but garbage and run the same risks - so its not purely about calories.

I just had an iv Iron infusion - ferritin level of 8. I eat red eat regularly, eat my leafy greens, don't have periods it's simply due to my smll portions - simply inadequate given my needs as a runner.

I hover between 800-1000 every day. My doc didn't stress cals as much as Protein so I eat a lot of lean protein every day in the form of meat and some cheese. I haven't had any issued with dizziness or anything. I also take a Vitafusion Gummy multi Vitamin daily. So far so good. I see my doc for my 2nd post op visit on 2/21.

My doctor has never stressed cals. More concerned with Protein and low cal/carb veggie consumption. That said he has a 500 cal liquid pre op that he has larger patients do for MONTHS preop. His nurse practitioners and nutritionist don't like that program however.

I do take general vit., Calcium, vit D, and Iron.

Keep in mind thin people eat low cals and no one worries about malnutrition.

I am between 500-1000 calories a day depending on my hunger level that day. I still do one or two Protein Shake a day in addition to lean meats and veggies. I don't get dizzy or cranky since I have gotten used to it. I am scared to go back to 1200 or more calories a day as that was what I was on for my 6 month supervised nutrition before surgery and I did not lose any weight. I have lost 36 lbs total now since lower my calories, plush I have increased my activity. I do drink a good bit of Water a day but no where close 100 oz I don't think. I am closer to 64 oz and do just fine for me.

my pre-op diet was 800 - 960 based on a 40 BMI. Once banded I tried to work my way up to 1200. My NUT said that not to focus calories, but Portion Control. With that said she also told me based on my body type that I should be in a 1300 - 1500 range, and to add a 4th 1/2 cup meal to the 3 that I was already doing. I have been shooting for the 1300 figure, and doing pretty well on that.

Loosing weight...burning fat...is all about burning more calories than you consume...so the more you consume the more you must burn....for REAL weight loss..

agree here

the only thing i add is when i eat (i make it count with good foods)

I eat between 500-1000 cals, it varies between the days. It's very rare that I actually feel hunger anymore, how ever I've noticed my weight loss to slow down.. So I make an effort to get to 1000 cals, and mostly focus on Protein more then anything. I've never felt dizzy or sick since my recovery, if anything I have much more energy and feel great :)