Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cash pay from OK heading to Dallas- NERVES

I have posted before a few years ago when I was trying for insurance approval and I was denied. But now my husband and I have decided to pay out of pocket for the surgery. I have been set on the lap band for 4 years now and have worked VERY hard just to get this far and I am looking at having surgery end of Feb or early March. But I talked to the receptionist at the surgeons office, which is in Dallas, and she said that the only advice she could give me is that the surgeon will try to talk me into having the sleeve instead of lap band. And when I asked her why she said "because he is taking out more bands than he is putting in now."

So of course that got my nerves going. I have researched the good, the bad, and the ugly for this surgery and I feel like I can still be a success story. And seeing as how the sleeve is 3000 more that is not an option anyway. But I am nervous now that he won't want to do the surgery for me. I am now more nervous than ever! What do I do?!

Don't know who is doing your surgery, but I had mine done at TrueResults inRichardson and am very happy. Most doctors I researched in Dallas were all very competent. Good luck!

Don't know who is doing your surgery' date=' but I had mine done at TrueResults inRichardson and am very happy. Most doctors I researched in Dallas were all very competent. Good luck![/quote']

I will look into them. Do you know how much it would be for cash pay? Thank you for the reply!

I paid right at 10,000. (A bit less) for total surgery, which included 1 year aftercare (fills) and I didn't have to have any pre-testing and he put me on 2 wk South Beach diet prior to surgery. I didn't have to do psych or anything but visit with dietician. He repaired a hernia, which my insurance paid that part and he accepted it. Dr. Fox did mine. I like him very much. I thought you had already made your decision. I first visited another doctor that pushed me toward sleeve. I signed up, but chickened out. Am happy with my decision. Started at 213. Surgery 8/31. Current weight 166. Goal 150 for Dr. 135 for me. Best of luck.

Nanu - I called them and spoke to a wonderful lady that was very helpful. I am waiting to hear back from the billing department for more information. Thank you so much for the heads up. Congrats on the weight loss.

That's funny, because the first surgeon I consulted with said EXACTLY THE SAME THING. "I don't do bands anymore, and overall surgeons take out more than they put in." He only did sleeves and bypasses, having stopped doing bands several years ago.

So I went to see another surgeon. This one only does bands and bypasses and will not do sleeves. He is seeing sleeved patients end up in his hospital due to popped stiches, ulcers and peritonitus. "23 cms of stitches is a lot", was his comment.

I've spent hours doing research on all the WLS options out there....truly days of reading data. And I found that you can find equal measures of arguments supporting and not supporting all the surgery options.

It's true that I'm uncomfortable with the complications that may arise with the band, but on the other hand I'm more uncomfortable with the irreversibility of the other options.

So I'm going with the band and the surgeon who believes this is my best option.

Parisshel the receptionist I just talked to a true results said they would not offer the sleeve as a cash pay option because of the complications that can occur. THAT made up my mind right there! She said bleeding and popped stitches and that they wanted their patients to have insurance standing behind them because you never know how much that can cost. Well I didn't need to hear anymore! I am thinking that true results will be a better fit for my situation because I will be out of town and they include a year of post op visits and that is anytime I need to come in. Unlike BSC Dallas that has 1 year post op but its only their scheduled visits. I am definitely glad I decided to post about this!

I know Dr. Fox does do the sleeve, but I think True Results is a LB specialty surgery center. I also went to a dr. before I went to Dr. Fox and his staff pushed me toward the sleeve. I was scheduled for VSG and them cancelled. I hope all turns out well!!

Well after doing some research I found that there is a place called Weight Wise in Edmond that is having a special for cash pay for the lap band. So I contacted them and did the online seminar and will be meeting with the surgeon soon for a consultation. I think this may be a better option but we are going to weigh our options

Syeph- i went with true results and only paid 5500. The reason is because i had a hiatal hernia. The entire staff said most people do have one. I had to get an egd done first but it knocked of 4400 off the total price of 9900. True results is awesome. I went in austin- i dont think they are doing the 1 yr after fills anymore but they are offering 6 months.. Good luck to u

Thank you for your response. True results did tell me that they were doing 1 year of after care but that would cost me about 100 dollars in gas round trip from where I am (closest true results is in Dallas) And after speaking with someone at weight wise they said my after care can be billed to my insurance even though the surgery cannot. And even if for some reason that doesn't work the post op visits are only around 150 so my husband and I decided that we would rather pay a little more to have a surgeon that is only 45 minutes away. But I do appreciate all the replies :)