Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Adjusting calories for work outs?

I have been getting the recommended caloric intake, usually between 8-1200 depending on the day (i know recommendations vary here).

However, some workouts I do burn between 6-900 calories, which concerns me as I have long days and am feeling fairly fatigued. Has anyone adjusted their intake based on work outs?

I'm using Protein Shakes with fruit for recovery shakes (replacing Protein and simple sugars as you should), and hitting recommended goals for all other food groups in the day.

Hoping to talk to my nutritionist soon, but wanted to see what you all experienced...

Off the top of my head....if you did adjust your calories, you would not workout to loose weight...get healthy and fit, but not fat burning...

You need to burn more calories than you consume to loose weight, and exercising is a good effiecient way of doing that....actually the best...why eat more to counter the effects you may be looking for?

I work out first thing in the morning...on an empty stomach...I do take a shot of Protein, plus my Water and Vitamins, for my energy and metabolism.....but no calories.

My theory is I'm there to burn fat, so I want my body to turn to the stored fat I been holding onto when I'm exercising rather than what I have in my stomach.....

After my workout I have a high Protein recovery shake....satisfying my hunger and nutritional needs, giving me energy for the rest of the day, and low calories....then I go to work, on my feet 8-10 hours a day in clinics seeing patients.....never a problem with energy...as a matter of fact, the more weight I lost the more energy I discovered....

Again, this is not scientific, just the regeime I have found successful for myself....lower calories and more exercising....

Absolutely, I just wonder how much of a deficit is a good thing each day, I guess?

I eat around 1600 cals a day and have done very well at that. I was not doing well with my exercise with less calories. Even at 1600 calories a day I am STILL burning more than I am consuming. Also, exercise will help you build muscle and muscle burns more calories than fat does. In my experience, more calories in helped me to have the energy I need to workout hard. I'm currently training for a half marathon while a year ago I couldn't run for even 1 minute without stopping.

3500 calories = 1 lb of fat

3500 / 7 = 500 calories per day

That's 500 calories per day MORE than you consume, to loose one lb per week.

So, if you consume 1000 calories, you must burn 1500 calories....OR consume less calories per day.

Ideally consume less, and burn more...increasing the gap between the two....

And that is for real fat burning weight loss, not the quick early stages of weight loss which everybody experiences

If you want to loose more than one pound per week, you have to up the above numbers....

Also, in my case, I have always found Protein to give me more energy than calories....

Also, since I am no llonger concerned about loosing weight, I find that exercising everyday covers a multitude of sins....with no weight gain...

How's your Iron?

I never ate more to compensate for the calories I burned. I lost weight well and have kept it off. But over the last year my energy has tanked. I've struggled to even run 6kms at times from running 15 with ease.

Turns out my ferritin level was 8. I was severely anemic. I had to have an iv Iron infusion.

Apparently very very common in female exercises. Maybe not as severe as mine, I have other issues. But your nutrient profile and macronutrient Vance is more important than actual calories. I can't do the low carb thing and be a good runner! I need bread and grains.

If you are in a coma you are burning more than 1000 calories a day. Your body uses energy just to keep living. You do have to burn more than you consume but you have to take into account how much your body is using. Your body burns calories all of the time. You do not have to burn more than you eat with exercise because you will burn more than 1000 a day just by living. That being said, do what feels right for you. Talk with your doctor and nutritionist to find out what is right for yourself.

I have been getting the recommended caloric intake, usually between 8-1200 depending on the day (i know recommendations vary here).

However, some workouts I do burn between 6-900 calories, which concerns me as I have long days and am feeling fairly fatigued. Has anyone adjusted their intake based on work outs?

Interesting thread. I was wondering about this too because my iphone diet diary app automatically gives me extra calories on days when I log exercise.

Everyone is different, I shoot for 1300 calories a day and I have a BMR of 2600, which according to what B-52 said (and I generally agree) gives me a 2.6 pound loss (I am actually experiencing almost 4 pounds a week). I also exercise, some days I eat the calories, some days I don't, I don't have a rule, I just try and listen to my body hunger and give it what it needs.

Thank you everyone!