Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help with exercise please!

I need some ideas of really low impact exercise. I have had 6 back surgeries and have to have both knee replaced when I get the weight off. I want to exercise because I want the weight off of me. Please any advice is appreciated! Blessings ~

Water aerobics was my suggestion too. You'll be amazed at how you feel once you're out of the water (like you actually did something really hard) and yet while in the pool it's totally manageable. You can do it! Best of luck to you!

Thank you!

I want to add another suggestion. I have a really bad knee and may also need a replacement when I get the weight off. I was also planning on joining the Y, but I never seemed to do it.

I just bought a Gazelle Freestyle from the Tony Little exercise collection. It does not hurt my knee at all! It is a non impact glider--like an elliptical,so you can exercise your arms and legs at once.

I have lower back pain as well, however, I can use this machine.

Swimming! You can burn more calories swimming than you can with almost any other activity too.

Try walk away the pounds by Leslie Sansome

I also have a set of pedals that I can sit on the sofa and ride forever. I am waiting on hip replacement. Could not walk for two years. I started doing 10 minutes at a time, now I do 1 to 1 1/2 hours every day. Find what doesn't hurt so you can burn calories. I also use bands to do some light strengthening.

Swimming! You can burn more calories swimming than you can with almost any other activity too.

I wish I could swim.. Thinking bout taking lessons

I don't usually swim when I am at the pool. I walk forward, backward and sideways for five minutes each as a warm up. Then I do leg and arm lifts and pulls for 10 minutes. Then I do cardio for 25 minutes that includes jogging in place, scissor kicks (forward and backward), and jumping jacks. I do a minute of each and continue the routine for the 25 minutes. Then I hang on the side of the pool and do the bicycle straight, to the left and to the right slow for one minute slow then fast for one minute and rotate through these two times. The still hanging on to the side I do leg lifts (30 of them). Then I go to the shallow end and do 30 square.

For warm up and cool down I do a little stretching in the pool. Hug yourself, the pull each arm separately across your chest to stretch shoulder, stand on toes then heels 20 times, lift your leg straight in front of you and hold to 20. Repeat this when you are done too.

You do not have to swim to exercise in the pool!

Good luck. I did this routine 3-5 days a week the first 10 months and lost 135 pounds.

I want to add another suggestion. I have a really bad knee and may also need a replacement when I get the weight off. I was also planning on joining the Y, but I never seemed to do it.

I just bought a Gazelle Freestyle from the Tony Little exercise collection. It does not hurt my knee at all! It is a non impact glider--like an elliptical,so you can exercise your arms and legs at once.

I have lower back pain as well, however, I can use this machine.

That's what I use, the Gazelle edge! I LOVE it! I had a hip replaced and my other hip is pretty bad and this exercise does not hurt or put me in pain at all. If anything i noticed, since my joints are rotating constantly, I have more mobility in my joints since the weight loss and exercising (both are contributing). I have lost a lot of inches as well.

Btw, swimming is my favorite exercise of all :)

I wish I could swim.. Thinking bout taking lessons

Whats great about some of the aqua classes at the gyms or the Y is that the Water isnt too deep. Im doing an aqua cardio class at 24/Fitness and I dont have trouble with the depth of the Water because its just below my chest area, and Im 5'9. The classes are great for your skin and your joints.

If you're not afraid of Water you could consider water aerobics. Most water aerobics classes are done in the shallow end . You can also speak with the instructor and ask them for ways to make the workout harder or easier depending on your ability. My gym also has these flotation belts that they use for water aerobics classes they hold in the deep end of the pool. You could wear 1 of these belts even in the shallow end if you are concerned. Lost my first 100 pounds through diet and water based exercises before having lap band.