Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop Nurse Discouraging the Band

Hi, all!

Today I went for all my preop tests at the hospital: chest x-ray, EKG, bloodwork, etc.

The preop nurse screening me said she has not seen much success with the band. I asked her what that means--not much success. Did it mean that they have not lost 100lbs in six months? They've only lost 30lbs in a year? What?

She just said that they had lost some but not a lot. I told her that studies show that it takes a good 2-3 years with the band to be at the point where the gastric bypass folks are in six months to a year. "Oh," she said, "Oh, yeah. That's true."

So--I've had the leader of my support group and the preop nurse be quite discouraging about the band.

I might be crazy, but I think if I lose ANY weight with the band, it'll be worth it. To say that people aren't doing well with the band because they've only lost 30lbs in a year--well--that's better than staying at the same weight--and that's certainly better than gaining 30lbs.

Why are we as bandsters (or future bansters, in my case) seen as "failures" or "not doing so great with the band" if we don't lose 100lbs in a year. Don't you think that any weight loss is better than nothing?

My lap band surgery is this coming Tuesday, the 18th at 8:00am. I hope that it's worth it--but to me getting just 20-30lbs off will be worth it--hopefully that weight loss will encourage me to do more and more...Prayers for this Tuesday would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Dana:) !

You are making the right decision. We all want to lose fast but at what cost? My best friend had the Bypass and she is developing all sorts of health problems. She has to eat high fat foods to maintain a healthy weight. She now has gallbladder problems, esphogeal problems, vitamin/mineral deficiencies and the list goes on and on. Yes, she looks great in the latest fashions but she is sickly.

I am with you 20-30 pounds is great more would be better, but losing it on my own has not worked and if it did I wouldn't be having this surgery. We live in a society where everyone wants quick results but the reality is slow(in weight loss) is better and we can keep tuning our band for as long as we have it unlike bypass patients. If the band fails or malfunctions it can be removed fairly easily. Given all of the facts and information I will take the Band and work it to my full advantage. If it doesn't work you can always do a more drastic surgery and who knows what will be developed in the next 15-20 years! We may lose slower but I've seen a lot of bandsters that at one year out had similar results to bypass patients! With the Band we will get out what we put in. More excersize=better results, better eating=better results. It is a tool to help us succeed where we have failed, or can not succeed on our own.

You go Girl:clap2: !

Dawn

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

I think that people in general who know you are trying to lose weight no matter which way you choose they want to see results NOW!! And personally that is why I have not told no one but my husband and mom about my surgery. I still get the how much have you lost bacause I have sone really well so far with the band, but I think also that if they new I had surgery they would expect me to lose like the bypass patients ans that is just not going to happen. I chose the band because of the less invasive and because you do lose slower. I didn't want my body to go through losing massive weight in a short time. So don't be discouraged, you do what is comfortable for you and go at your own pace.

Hope this helps.

My sister had bypass 2 years ago. She lives in St. Thomas now and I just saw her for the first time in about 6 months. She did very well with surgery, but still suffers from "dumping syndrome" on a fairly regular basis. She told me that she knows that she has stretched her pouch and is now up 10 lbs since X-mas. The thing is, she doesn't have the same "tool" as I do. She is eating larger portions now of almost anything.

I feel like I made the best choice in surgery options.

I am down just over 55 lbs in exactly 2 months. I would not call that slow!!

Good luck to you, and ignore those that don't really know the facts.

How very unprofessional!

Oh, and it is so very easy to feel like a failure when you lose 15 pound when other people are losing 50, when you are working your ass off, making sure that your food is "good" and other people lose weight despite the fact that they don't excersize or work out in any way, shape or form, and eat still eat crap.

But that's part of it, when compaired. I know that we shouldn't, but being human, we do. We constantly compair everything against everything else, making value judgements, seeing how we measure up against other people.

I personaly think slower is better. I lost 50 the first year 40 the second and am down 5 more in the last 2 months.

I wanted time to get use to my shrinking self and work out some of the reasons I put this overcoat of protection on in the first place. I chose to get my fills slowly so I could learn to get use to it without PBs and the like, that is what works for me.

More important than anything any says about this or that we each need to decide what is right for us, reguardless of what anyone else says or thinks.

Trish

Don't worry, Dana.

My doctor said that most patients lose 10-15 pounds during the liquid phase. I've lost ten pounds in 9 days already! This is just the beginning of a journey. Trust the research you have done. Just look at the results on this board. It is a more scientific calculation for success than the discouragement of a nurse or "support" group leader!

At my last support group meeting, we were told that a study was done amongst medical professionals that showed as many as 80% of them were clueless about what the lap band is and how it works. I was ashamed to be called a "medical professional". How very sad that something as wonderful as the lap band is still something relatively unknown to the practitioners who provide our healthcare.

I think that just because we may lose weight slower than the malabsorptive techniques such as RNY or DS, doesn't mean that our successes are any less positive. WE LOSE! Isn't that the point of any of these procedures? 30lbs, 50lbs 75 lbs or 100 lbs. It's all a loss and whether it's fast or slow, the weight is gone.

The comments made by the pre-op nurse (and apparently the nurse at the support group you went to-some support!) only showed their unprofessionalism and ignorance. Hold your head up high and show them that you know you're doing the right thing for you despite their comments. Devise some great comments, possibly including statistical information to show them you're not some ill-informed drone going to the slaughter.

I would complain about both people to your surgeon. I ama nurse and a pre-op nurse doesn't usually see post op people, so how would she know?

As a health care professional, I am surprised (and annoyed) that an RN would try and sabotage your decision. Her (or his) job is to support the decision you and your MD have made and to educate you on what you might need to know concerning pre-operative and post-operative management.

All people who elect to have weight loss surgery have to weigh (no pun untended) the pros and cons of which one is best for THEM given all the facts. Regardless of the type of surgery, we all share a common goal of wanting to lose weight so we can live a healthy life.

I had my yearly gyn visit this month. My gyn was extremely supportive of the band. She said that she has had many patients who have gotten the band and are successfully losing weight and maintaining the loss. She said that it is much better to loose weight slowly. It is more healthy and more successfully maintained. I am losing weight "slowly" by some standards (one pound a week) but I am making permanent life style changes which should keep those extra pounds off for good! I love my band.

I think that just because we may lose weight slower than the malabsorptive techniques such as RNY or DS, doesn't mean that our successes are any less positive. WE LOSE! Isn't that the point of any of these procedures? 30lbs, 50lbs 75 lbs or 100 lbs. It's all a loss and whether it's fast or slow, the weight is gone.

Very well said ddiedre!! There is an issue of ignorance/lack of knowledge of the band. I think some surgeons base success on how much and how fast a patient will lose weight. They are proud when their patients lose weight quickly. Those of us that have chosen the band are paving the way for our furture bandsters. I'm preband myself, but know the band is the best choice for me. The band is fairly new to most people. Time will show that gastric bypass is not the only way to go. There are choices and WE will be successful.....one pound at a time regardless how long that takes.

Hang in there Dana & you know you can always come here for support!!!

I love you guys!!! I'm so thankful I stumbled upon this lapbandtalk.com website.

You know, before I decided which WLS to get, I looked and looked for a gastric bypass support group on line--I just couldn't find one. I just happened to find this lapband support group by accident. I think by providence, though.

I know I am making the right decision! Just 3 more days until I'm a "bandster"!

you do what it is good for you , I get my band on monday, I have lost on the preop diet 27lbs, it is all worth it. Hang in there

... Don't you think that any weight loss is better than nothing?

NO~I don't. I want my surgery to help me get to a "NORMAL" BMI. I did not have surgery to get down to the low end of MO...or the high end of Obesity. Some people are happy with that, which is good for them.

But, MY honest answer to your question is: NO. "Any weight loss" just isn't enough for me.

I hope you have a better journey than I did...good luck with your surgery.