Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had the lap band done for 3 years now. I had lost close to 70 lbs when i started having issues with night cough and reflux. They removed half of my Fluid and I. 3 months time I gained back all of the weight even while doing what I thought was the correct ways. I now am having it filled again, I now go to the gym 6 days a week and am on a mission to drop it back off as fast as possible. However I'm so frustrated, I felt so good , so much better, and much better self esteem , now I just feel almost like giving up. I see so many success and wonder why not me !

I'm sorry you're struggling. It's a very good thing you got the unfill, though. Being too tight can lead to slips and you don't want to deal that.

It's great your exercising, but are you sticking to band sized portions? How many calories are you eating a day? These things can definitely effect your weight loss greatly.

Honestly I haven't counted calories, all I know is I know I shouldn't be able to eat a foot long sub from subway ! I really need to figure out a meal and what foods and calorie intake and exercise routine. Hopefully this fill will help as I was alway starving !

Honestly I haven't counted calories, all I know is I know I shouldn't be able to eat a foot long sub from subway ! I really need to figure out a meal and what foods and calorie intake and exercise routine. Hopefully this fill will help as I was alway starving !

Actually, if you're expecting the band to physically stop you from eating, you're expecting it to do things it's not meant to do. Some people do have certain foods they can't eat, and some simply can't eat large amounts without discomfort, but that's not the case for everyone. In fact, most people can over-eat if they really want to. We call it "eating around the band". This is why it's so important to keep your portions to a cup or less per meal so you don't accidentally over-eat.

What the band is supposed do is keep you satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. Have a look at this link: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

As far as calories, it all really boils down to simple math. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Being as you're struggling, I would strongly recommend counting calories for at least a little while. This way you can see exactly what you're eating and where you need to make changes.

I'd also strongly suggest a visit to your nutritionist to help you establish food guidelines specific to you and your lifestyle.

Best wishes.

I work in a prison and from 5 am to 3pm I can't really eat a meal, it's gotta be either a drink ir something small I can take in buy needs to be high Protein, any suggestions ?

I work in a prison and from 5 am to 3pm I can't really eat a meal, it's gotta be either a drink ir something small I can take in buy needs to be high Protein, any suggestions ?

There's a lot of good, high Protein drinks on the market. But keep in mind drinking your calories is a slippery slope. It won't keep you full for long at all. As a result you're hungry sooner and eating more. I really wouldn't recommend it if you can at all avoid it, especially since you're already struggling.

There's also a lot of quick easy meal ideas. Starkist makes a tuna and crackers packet and the tuna is pre-mixed. Lunchables even makes a healthy variety with things like whole wheat flat bread turkey and apple slices. Of course, you could always make something at home the night before and bring it with you. There's a lot of options out there, you just need to look around and figure out what will work for you.

Mis I am so glad you are showing that link. I love it. It is what my doctors tell me to do. I also agree with everything you said. I however dont count calories I just measure everything and make good choices.

Best of luck to you Cjohnson. Mis is right there are easy things available to eat or even to make at home and take to work. I make a lot of big pot meals and I am set with one container for each meal.

I can do the same thing without any problem if I want to. I could eat a footlong sub easily. However, I can not do it if I follow ALL the band rules! Not drinking before, during, or after eating. Eating small bites, eating slowly, and chewing, chewing, chewing! If I eat fast, I can eat anything in any amount! Maybe start over like I did and do the 5 day pouch test. This made me start being more aware of my band again! I think some of us, including myself, start out to excessive! Don't start out going to the gym 6 days a week so you get burned out and frustrated causing you to quit. Do something that you can incorporate into your life as a routine. Something you can live with doing for the rest of your life, not just until you lose the weight! Part of keeping the weight off long term is creating a lifestyle and making food choices we can live with. I realize that you want to take back the last 3 months and would like to be 70 pounds thinner right now, but that's not going to happen. Now you have to figure out what happened when you were unfilled and realize that you probably didn't make the lifestyle changes you should have to lose those 70 pounds the first time. Do it right this time so if this were to happen again, there would not be the same results! Don't be hard on yourself, learn and do better this time! Like myself, sometime we don't get it the first time! However, that doesn't mean we can't do it right this time! I'm 6 years out and have gained back 40 pounds. We can do this, but not as a quick fix, as a lifestyle! Good Luck, I wish you the best!

Actually' date=' if you're expecting the band to physically stop you from eating, you're expecting it to do things it's not meant to do. Some people do have certain foods they can't eat, and some simply can't eat large amounts without discomfort, but that's not the case for everyone. In fact, most people can over-eat if they really want to. We call it "eating around the band". This is why it's so important to keep your portions to a cup or less per meal so you don't accidentally over-eat.

What the band is supposed do is keep you satisfied on less food for longer periods of time. Have a look at this link: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

As far as calories, it all really boils down to simple math. If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Being as you're struggling, I would strongly recommend counting calories for at least a little while. This way you can see exactly what you're eating and where you need to make changes.

I'd also strongly suggest a visit to your nutritionist to help you establish food guidelines specific to you and your lifestyle.

Best wishes.[/quote']

I am so glad I came across this article!!! I honestly think it may have just made the difference between failure and success for me. Thanks so much for posting!!!!

Can someone please explain the 5 day pouch test to me??? i

I was wondering the same thing about the band test, also if anyone can help me I'm looking for a way to basically cleanse my body in order to get a fresh start. I had my band unfilled last night so I'm at 5cc now feel a lot better ! I'm looking for a good meal plan that will basically tell me what to eat and how much.

There's a lot of good' date=' high Protein drinks on the market. But keep in mind drinking your calories is a slippery slope. It won't keep you full for long at all. As a result you're hungry sooner and eating more. I really wouldn't recommend it if you can at all avoid it, especially since you're already struggling.

There's also a lot of quick easy meal ideas. Starkist makes a tuna and crackers packet and the tuna is pre-mixed. Lunchables even makes a healthy variety with things like whole wheat flat bread turkey and apple slices. Of course, you could always make something at home the night before and bring it with you. There's a lot of options out there, you just need to look around and figure out what will work for you.[/quote']

Hi and i love your suggestions. I am post op dec 18, 12. Does that fit into what can be eaten if we have the band if so that would be great....... i am hungry all the time but i follow the rules...... i go for my fill jan 30. I had a little during surgery but i have never felt full. It is frustrating and i try to eat filler foods but that to is not working..... i just being so hungry all the time. I do plan on talking to my dr about this on the 30..... i also stay constipated and that is miserable........ any suggestions any one..... but like the other guy said i feel like i could eat more....... even though i would be scare to eat a sub.:) i would not want to do that..... but being hungry and constipated all the time is really getting frustrated..... thanks for any suggestions..... i love those tuna packs already made up and lunch able..

I work in a prison and from 5 am to 3pm I can't really eat a meal' date=' it's gotta be either a drink ir something small I can take in buy needs to be high Protein, any suggestions ?[/quote']

There is a great protien shake called Premier Protein you can get them at costco. 30 grams of Protein 160 cals and 1 gram sugar

First of all you have to get control of your eating no matter how many cc's are in your band. Secondly no matter what you have to make time to eat. Thirdly Protein Shakes should not be part of your regualr diet you have to learn to eat with your band as many dont and rely on Protein shakes for no good reason. You have to eat a cup or less of food three times a day which is mainly protein, stay away from starchy carbs and junk food, drink 64 ounces of Water, if you choose to have Snacks then they need to be high protein such as lunch meat, greek yogurt, boiled eggs. You can only succeed if you want too. I have been banded for three years also and have not gained any weight back. You still have to maintain control of what you eat even after you lose all your weight. The band will not stop you from eating for the most part it will only keep you satisfied on small amounts of food for long periods 4 to 5 hours. You have to make time to eat lunch when your working because I can see when you go home you're starving and probably eat the whole days worth of calories in one meal. You have to do this. High protein, low carbs is the key to success and making sure you do not go over your allotted amounts of food each day. We all want to eat but I want to be thin more.