Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wierd hiccup..what is it?

Since surgery Ive been getting a wierd painful hiccup in my stomach. Is it gas? Is it a baby PB? (been on liquids) Is it harmful to my band staying attached?

Anyone else have this?

When I get that hiccup it means I drank or ate too fast. When I was on liquids I got hiccups which turned into dry heaves... not good! Now the hiccup is a sign of a slimey PB.

I had a little bit of the hiccup thing post-op too. It was very small and went away after a few days.

I kinda had the same thing it would maybe feel like a hiccup come part of the way up and stop and go back down it hurt, after about 9 days it went away.

i just recently(within last 3 months) started getting those and it always leads to horrid coughing up of my food and its very unpleasant for me-hope it doesnt turn into that for you.I eat slow so im not sure why it happens.

I get the horrible hiccups that for me are a sign that I am full~ there is no more room~ stop what ever the hell you are doing and relax~

We all have differenbt signs and this happens to be mine.

good luck

What doesn't make sense is that my stomach feels empty and is growling! I am only eating 2-4 ounces of yogurt at a time and then even three hours later I have the "hiccups". Is that too much? Maybe I am swollen, but I will take your advice and try to slow down. I just don't want to get dehydrated or weaker than I am. I sure hope this goes away. It helps to know that other people have experienced the same thing.

It's OK Boo, I had that too. Freshly post-op and for the first month. It was how the burps started. Hic-burp, hic-burp

I couldn't burp like I felt I needed to unless it was preceeded by a hiccup. The doc (mine anyway) anchors the band into the diaphragm, this is done to reduce slippage events. Your body is adjusting to the new set-up. Not sure if we are rare, but I posted this question in January and got the same kind of responses. Good info, just not quite right for me.

After you are healed, a hic is a "soft-sign" of fullness. But at least for me, the early ones were just my band and body making friends. They hurt a little at first, but got easier.

PB's come later - the hiccups there are quite a bit different.

Take care

You stomach is irritated. It will go away. I hiccup when I have something stuck. I also had terrible spams that started in my lower stomach and moved all the way up my esophagus the first 4 days.

I had the same thing, I think. I had this kind of spasm - just one or two at a time that really did not have anything at all to do with eating. My doctor told me that it was from my abdominal nerves being irritated from surgery. Went away after about a week or so. Good luck to you.