Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help guys -- Band or Sleeve? I'm scheduled for band Feb.1

again, no disrespect but i think your words of horror are quite uncalled for.

my dr gave me the pros and cons. i again say if you and your friends want my dr's name/number and you can call and discuss what plication actually is.

and any wls has pros and cons (as you well know and have stated the bad) plication a newer surgery and i signed forms waiving anything if it happens. apparently anyone getting any type surgery has to sign forms too. didnt you?

why? because i was advised of all aspects.i am an adult, i made my mind

up to have this surgery to aid the band.

why did i have this (dangerous thing ms msaui)...because i was over 336 pounds..i couldnt walk far and going potty was getting hard...i risked it and i am down 94 pounds in 7 months

this ill conceived and dangerous thing is saving my life

I'm sorry, I wasn't intending to criticize your decision, I was responding to another poster.

its ok ms maui

just know this saved me and i am very passionate about this

its ok ms maui

just know this saved me and i am very passionate about this

I lost one of my brothers in 2001...he weighed 411 lb when he died. I think that when we are saving our own lives we make tough choices. I understand your passion and determination. Many lives have been saved through research and investigative procedures. I wish you continued health and success. (((Hugs)))

That post continues to say that this was based upon limited information and experience, in hospitals in Mexico, not the US.

Plication was first done in Iran....does it really matter?

Yes, It does if you have ever lived in a foreign country you would know this. Let the plication subject drop, You can easily see that you are scaring people. Is this why you are no longer on OH?

Yes, It does if you have ever lived in a foreign country you would know this. Let the plication subject drop, You can easily see that you are scaring people. Is this why you are no longer on OH?

Many assumptions are made within this sentence....all incorrect.

I've done a ton of research all over the net and here, but I'm getting cold feet at the moment. I've read of lots of people that are happy they did the band, have lost a lot of weight, happy now, etc. I understand that its just a tool, and it will take work, lifestyle change, exercise, etc. I'm 48, 330, 6'1, and am determined to finally do something about my weight. In my 30's, I went from 283 down to 211, but have slowly put all that back on plus more over the last 20 years.

For as many 'happy' band stories that I read about, I see as many or more disasters: slime, dumping (whatever that is), a lot of pain, slipping, having to get the band removed, etc. Almost all of these disaster people have said they needed WLS, and revised to the sleeve. Every one of them wished they had gone with the sleeve in the first place.

I know there are risks with both, and issues with both, but can that many people be wrong, wishing they had just done sleeve first?

Help with advice please people, I'm scheduled for band surgery in three weeks, and am considering either going with sleeve or forgetting WLS altogether.

I was 50 when I was banded 2 yrs ago. I am 5'9" and I lost 220 lbs in 23 months. I am maintaining at 157 and would like to lose 10 more lbs so i have some wiggle room. I went from 77" hips to 37".

Part of my plan was to visit my dr monthly. I stuck to 1000 calories a day and weighed, measured and tracked everything I put in my mouth. I had an average loss of 10 lbs per month. My decision to get the band over other WLS was because I didn't want my anatomy changed. That's not to say other types of WLS doesn't work... I just didn't feel it was the choice for me.

So far I haven't had any issues I hear other discuss. I listen to my band and I don't test it's limits very often and so far it hasn't failed me.

Jean, thank you for your informative post!

You, more than anyone, can really speak about both surgeries since you've experienced both.

Just wondering, is it possible to get a LapBand put in AFTER someone has gastric sleeve surgery? To alleviate the food cravings and stuff? I know your situation may not permit it, but for someone else, maybe they can revise to the lapband?

I wonder if that's ever been done

I know you asked Jean, but the VSG is the first stage of the DS. The DS component can be done as part of a two stage process. My understanding is that a slightly larger bougie is used for DS. There doesn't seem to be a problem revising a sleeve to DS. I have heard of VSG with a band a few times. Not sure how that works, though. Hope this answers your questions.

I love the band. I honestly and truly believe it is the best thing I could have done for myself. I am not the hardcore strict person, and I am not the person who will test my limits as well, well rarely anyway! I am about 3months post op, and I have not had 1 problem yet. Nothing has ever came up, never vomited, nothing ever got stuck.. thank god! :) I choose the band like all the reasons above, because to me it is less evasive. I didn't want something that there was no return from. I wanted something that could aid me for a lifetime. I have lost 43lbs with just following rules and still having things I enjoy.

I have known only 2 people with the sleeve. BOTH have gained their weight back. One never learned how to eat and change their lifestyle.. and the other only lost 40lbs total and even gained that back because even though your stomach is cut off, you can stretch it to the way it was before surgery. She tested it time and time again, I would get so angry with her and this was before I decided I was going to get the band, we would go out to eat... and she would order her usual plate and eat half and would feel full, and say I can still eat more and she would. DEFEATING the whole purpose of her tool, since they are all tools to aid. Another with the bypass, lost sooo much weight.. gained 60% back.

Everything has it's ups and downs. But it goes to show you, that no matter which you choose you will have to change your lifestyle for it to work for the long haul, any diet can give us a quick fix, but we wouldn't be doing this if we just wanted another quick fix, just to gain it all back again. I really hope you make the best decision for you afterall you are the one who will be living with the decision you make. Good luck and Keep us posted how you are doing!! Much success no matter what you choose :)

Personally, I have chose the band because I wanted something less invasive and mostly because I want a wls that I have to work at. I don't want bypass or a sleeve, where the initial weightloss is automatic...and I never learn how to eat "right" and gain all the weight back.

I want something that I have to work at to change my eatting and exercise habits. I want banding because I want to change my lifestyle to a healther, more active one.

That's just my opinion.

Sleeve works much like the band, it's restrictive. Most Band to Sleeve peeps find that they need to be a little more diligent with it, since there is no soft stop signal. RNY, being malabsorptive + restrictive (as is DS) takes less dieting, but much more attention to Vitamins, nutrition, etc. Sleeve seems to have the best gastrointestinal quality of life long term over AGB and RNY. I just posted info on this on the complications board (Thinking of Revising to VSG?) AND since I'm dealing with many of the GI issues aggravated by my band, can understand this being an important factor.

Dumping is not associated with the band usually. It is usually associated with gastric bypass.

It's an ill-conceived, dangerous surgery that is irreversible after 2-3 weeks, can cause gastric necrosis and can only be revised to a pouch. Not recommended by many.

MsMaui... I don't mind being rude. Your statement about plication is outright wrong an ill-informed. Please don't use scary words like necrosis to frighten people. If you don't approve of the band, try saying nothing. Making up **** is not useful.

Chezonel:

I don't think Ms. Maui's (now known as leavemealoneplz) statement is "outright wrong" or "ill informed". It happens to match a lot of what my doctor said. He told me that they cut off some of the blood supply which can cause necrosis. If using the word "necrosis" scares people then they shouldn't be doing the procedure (or weigh the benefits against the risks). No need to sugar coat things on these forums- if something causes necrosis, then by all means, use the "scary word".

You say: "if you don't approve of the band, try saying nothing"

Why shouldn't she speak up if she has had negative experiences with the band? I think its very important for people to get all opinions/hear all experiences (good AND bad) before doing surgery.

Not sure why your being so militant?

All this being said, I do wish I could have done plication with my band, but my insurance wouldn't cover it. Oh well :(:angry:

I was banded on 1-16-13. I was nervous in the beginning as you are. There definitely are more success stories than complications.

My view on this is the lap band is ABSOUTELY reversable. The sleeve is not. I did not want my body permanetly altered. Just something to think about. Good luck!!

Hey terry how's it going? I'm going to be banded sometime next month and was just wondering what the male perspective was?

Dan, sorry I missed your question, I haven't been following this thread that closely. The male perspective? I wish I had done this sooner. I have had two small fills and I am down a total of 39 pounds as of yesterday. I am really astounded how well the band has worked, I am tracking calories 1300ish a day, and starting to up my exercise.

Dumping is not associated with the band usually. It is usually associated with gastric bypass.

Just for the record:

Sleeve patients can dump also. Or at least I do. My surgeon says that's because my sleeve is too small to hold food long enough to start digesting it, so the food gets quickly dumped into my duodenum, causing a rapid and extreme blood sugar spike and miserable symptoms to go along with it.