Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Removing bandages

how long did you guys have to wear band-aids on your incisions? Every kind of band-aid I have ever tried makes my skin crazy irritated--the adhesive is really itchy and I get giant, red painful welts from them--the scars look pretty good to me--i don't see the doc again until friday....:help:

Hi, try to get some Benadryl lotion and put that on the welts but not the incisions.

If you think you need to cover the incisions get some steril gauzepads at Walgreens or some other store (you can fold it in quarters) and you can keep it in place with paper tape. That is normally tolerated very well.

Hope it helps.

I have the exact same issue, except adhesives will also "melt" into my skin. I didn't have to wear band-aids on my incisions, they were were covered with a thick, clear "tape" while staples were in, and then just steristrips after they were removed.

I actually had a reaction about 1 week post-op that was bad enough for me to call the hospital's 24-hour nurse line and ask what I could do for them... itching so bad I couldn't stand it, on top of raw skin that had essentially been pulled off as the adhesives were removed.

Hw are the band-aids even staying on? Dang, a couple of showers and that's all she wrote for me! Are you replacing them, or are you originals still there? If your originals are still there, probably time to change them anyway? :)

I used hydrocortizone and my doc called in a prescription cream, some kind of steriod/antihistamine if I remember correctly. My skin is *still* discolored in some of the places where I had this reaction. I posted pics the night of, if you're interested you could probably find them via search & see if it's anything like what you're getting.

I was the same way. I had more scars from the different tapes that I used Tan from the actual surgery. I finally found some tape at Wal-Mart that I didn't react ot. I can't remember the name of it, but I remember the top of the tape was kinda fuzzy like velcro. Good luck!

Give a quick call to your surgeons office. Mine said to leave it on, they should fall off. I had a few "danglers" that I pulled off myself, after almost 2 weeks post-op. I figured, it wouldn't hurt for the air to get to them, as they were healing fine.

Shawn

I had steri-strips that the doctor told me to let fell off on their own - which I did. The first one came off at about one week and the last one finally came off at about 2 weeks. I did notice that on my incision wound, the places between the steri-strips actually healed up faster than the ones "protected". Hmmmm. Must have been that they were exposed to the air?

Worse than the bandages, although not as long-lived, was the yellowy, sticky, goo they paint on your whole belly in the operating room. I think it's some kind of sterilizing agent. That stuff was too gross but if it kept me from getting an infection, I'd agree to have it on for twice as long. Longer. LOL

Good luck with your bandages.

I have adhesive issues with BandAides too. If you want to keep the incisions covered, try a 3M bandaide. I have no itchy adhesive issues with those, EXCEPT when I shower and don't put a new/clean one on after I get out.

I think that the soap get's into the edge on the bandaide and causes a rash. So long as I change the 3M bandaides after I shower (waterproof or not) then it's all good.

I kept my scars covered for as long as I could - until my doc told me to uncover them. It kept me from scratching them or otherwise messing with them. I also have no keloiding - and I think the pressure of the bandage helps keep them from forming.

Good Luck.