Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all

Just wanted a quick Hi howdy dos.

I have not had the surgery but have an appointment on Monday the 7th.

I was basically told to do this because my medical condition.

I have type 2 diabetes and was put on insulin in June after I had pancreatitis.

While I was doing real well with my oral meds, lost 46 lbs and was very active, insulin has screwed everything up.

I've regained all the weight even though I'm still eating the same way but I guess with insulin you'd have eat a lot less.

So both my endocrinologist and primary care doc want me to have this done.

I'm not sure but I'm going to see the doc on Monday.

I've struggled with my weight all my life and a part of me is real excited about this but another part is going, "wait a minute what if ...."

I guess you can say I'm excited and scared at the same time.

Thanks for listening. :)

Excited and scared is normal. Make sure you learn as much as possible about the band and post operative protocols as possible. Ask questions here... lots of good experience on this site. Post often no question is stupid!

Hi. My name is Nakeishia and I am new here as well. I just got banded on January 2nd. I really need the motivation to keep going. My stomach is so sore after the surgery. I am also so tired of liquids. Can anyone offer any advice?

Hello all

Just wanted a quick Hi howdy dos.

I have not had the surgery but have an appointment on Monday the 7th.

I was basically told to do this because my medical condition.

I have type 2 diabetes and was put on insulin in June after I had pancreatitis.

While I was doing real well with my oral meds' date=' lost 46 lbs and was very active, insulin has screwed everything up.

I've regained all the weight even though I'm still eating the same way but I guess with insulin you'd have eat a lot less.

So both my endocrinologist and primary care doc want me to have this done.

I'm not sure but I'm going to see the doc on Monday.

I've struggled with my weight all my life and a part of me is real excited about this but another part is going, "wait a minute what if ...."

I guess you can say I'm excited and scared at the same time.

Thanks for listening. :) [/quote']

Hello,

I'm new to the site. I had my lap band march 2011. I was a diabetic on meds. I exercised and ate correctly. I could not shed the pounds.

Hey nakeishia......i was banded the 3rd of jan and I totally feel your pain.....feel like I've been hit by a truck and I'm so sick of liquids and it's only day two!!!! Stay strong girl!!!!!

Hello' date='

I'm new to the site. I had my lap band march 2011. I was a diabetic on meds. I exercised and ate correctly. I could not shed the pounds.[/quote']

Almost two years, it was the best decision i have ever made.

Good luck. I'm sure you will love it.

This is GREAT site for information.

I have learned so much and made some wonderful friends. There are several friends that Ispeak with monthly on the phone and e-mail regularly.

I’ve been banded just over 6 years and have talked about this here several times but I think it’s worth repeating for new bandsters.

Try and take it one day at a time. Don’t compare yourself to others. Don’t go into this journey saying “I’ll never be able to eat this or that ever again.” I can eat ANYTHING except rice and apple skins and no carbonated beverages. Follow the guidelines given to you by your doctor. Remember… take tiny bites (the size of your pinky fingernail) and remember to finish what you have in your mouth before you take your next bite.

When I was losing weight I checked in every month with my family doctor to get weighed and measured. (I don’t own scales) I also attended two coffee groups for people that were banded. These things really kept me motivated and on track. I still check in every month with my family doctor to get weighed-in and I host two coffee groups. For me support from fellow bandsters plays a big part in this journey.

Back when I was banded my doctor suggested something called the “Egg Timer Distraction”. It’s kind of difficult to explain here but I’d be happy to email you the .pdf document. It REALLY helped me with “head hunger. I can’t tell you the number of people in my lapband coffee groups over the years that have said how helpful this “trick” has been in dealing with their head hunger.

Also, I’m not really a “diet” book type person but I recommend you pick up two books.

Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat: How to Break Your Eat-Repent-Repeat Cycle – by Dr. Michelle May

I had the pleasure of hearing Dr. May speak at a conference when she came to Toronto and her book and guidelines really work well with the lapband journey.

The second book is:

The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite – by David L. Kessler

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions and also if you would like a copy of the “Egg Timer Distraction Document”. --- tomander@bell.net and put in the subject line "Egg Timer Distraction Document"

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

Hi. My name is Nakeishia and I am new here as well. I just got banded on January 2nd. I really need the motivation to keep going. My stomach is so sore after the surgery. I am also so tired of liquids. Can anyone offer any advice?

Hi Nakeishia,

Looks like we were banded on the same day! I've been really sore as well - although it is slowly improving. In general, the more I move the better I've felt - although, my husband has been doing a pretty good job of spoiling me by wanting to wait on me hand and foot - he's such a sweetie.

I know, the liquids get old pretty fast :( But, hey - we should be progressing on to the "mushy" foods soon, which expands our culinary options considerably :unsure: We'll get there !! Keep me updated on how you're doing. I'd love to keep in touch with someone who started their journey the same time I did :)

If you have shoulder pain from the gas try using a heating pad. Walking will also help.

The only pain I had following the surgery was the left shoulder pain... it last for 3 days. I used the Magic Bags in the microwave... they were amazing.

It will get better !!

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Thanks Tom - I'll try the heating pad for my shoulder! My abdomen hurts as well, but I only took the pain meds they gave me after surgery for 1 day after coming home - I've been able to cope without them since. I don't like taking meds unless I really have too.

I checked out the books you recommended on Amazon - they look very interesting, I may give them a read. Also, I'd love to hear more about that "Egg-timer distraction". I figure the more tools I have in my weight loss aresnal the better :)

I think you will really enjoy the books.

Send me an e-mail if you would like the document. tomander@bell.net

Hang in there!!

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragements.

Saw the Doc today and was very surprised about the fact that he kept pushing bypass surgery over lab band.

Frankly his explanations made no sense to me or my wife who is an ICU RN with 30 years of experience.

Well I'm not going through with bypass, it's either Lap-band or some other doctor.

I'm not having a perfectly good organ butchered so I can lose weight -- not that desperate.

I'm going to talk to my endo and primary care docs to see what they have to say.

Hey nakeishia......i was banded the 3rd of jan and I totally feel your pain.....feel like I've been hit by a truck and I'm so sick of liquids and it's only day two!!!! Stay strong girl!!!!!

I too had mine on the 3rd of Jan....I have just been on Water..going for check tomorrow.. so looking forward to my Protein shake tomorrow...all stay strong!

I was banded on 12/31. It gets better. I still have some soreness, but nothing like before. Stay on your liquids, you need time to heal. Try varying things a little with Crystal Light, homemade broths, sugar free Jello, no sugar added fruit and juice bars, light juices,etc. When I got tired of stuff I started mixing my juices (no sugar added apple with light cranberry or light white grape and the cranberry with the grape).

Hey Nakeishia. I was banded December 18 and girl i know how you feel. But it will get better....... i am sore still especially around the port area. I was sick of liquids to but girl it all part of the process........ hang in there it will get better.... the first week of liquids i lost 3lbs....... and the week of my lap band with liquids i lost 6lbs so i lost 9lbs in 2 weeks. Give it time girl. I felt like i had been run over but now it is getting better........ please do as your dr tells you and good luck.